Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    CM7.2-IHO-MiRaGe

Default Upgrades to new phones will mean losing the $25/mo plan?

I'm hearing rumors that upgrading to any new phone on Virgin Mobile will cause you to lose your $25/monthly plan. Are these rumors true?
    CrackBerrian

Global Posts
    32,743 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0, iOS 5.1, BB10

Default Re: Upgrades to new phones will mean losing the $25/mo plan?

Depends on the carrier's policies, BUT often they WILL let you stay on the same plans. You should probably call Virgin for the best info
    Rich C. (PKcable)

Visitor from CrackBerry.com!

ROM
    Stock-Rooted

Only the new 4g phones, you can still get a triumph, slider, or the other phones without changing your plan, but the new phones will maky you go to 35 a month.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yeah, there is already a thread about this a few posts down. Any "new smartphone" which Virgin defines as "any phones launching in May 2012 and thereafter" will require you to be bumped up to the $35 plan.

See here: http://vm.tmce.biz/wap4?app=virginmobile&c=vir&NEXT=P31
    --Chris [cole2kb]

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    ROM
    it changes so much

Why here rumors when you can read texts? Virgin already sent myself and everyone i know on virgin 6+ people a text about this. If you aren't in the 25 a month plan already it's already to late.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    beamed from the mothership...
    but its only a proxy for my
    lubuntu 12.04
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    Harmonia 3

Quote Originally Posted by dwappo View Post
    Only the new 4g phones, you can still get a triumph, slider, or the other phones without changing your plan, but the new phones will maky you go to 35 a month.
    Any phone that has come out this month and any phone after will raise your rate.
    If you buy and register an Optimus Elite on your grandfathered phone, your fist bill after the 27th will be at the newer rate.

Elite is 3g.
    I think the OneV is as well, and it too will raise your rate.

Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
    Thanked by:
    dwappo 

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

does anyone know if you get some kind of notification that the plan will switch before you confirm the phone swap? i was hoping 5/27/12 would be the deadline to get in on a new phone and keep the $25 plan, but i guess that is a pipe dream

ROM
    Harmonia 3

No notification that I know of, and tiy can still switch to older phones.

You know you want a Venture. LOL

There appears to be some confusion inside Virgin Mobile about the Optimus Elite, the $25 plan, and the May 27th date. VM never gets their story straight until it is too late. Frankly, I have no idea which version of the facts are real at this point.

For instance, here is VMs Facebook rep saying so long as you get it registered before the 27th, the $25 plan will stand:
    Facebook

Here are some posts from some people who have already switched to the elite and have gotten reassurances from VM reps:
    VM Reps

There also appears to be a rumor that on the 20th there will be a text stating that you will no longer be able to switch the elite to the $25 plan.

Does this mean, if you switch to an Elite in the next couple days, that your $25 grandfathered plan will survive intact? I have no idea, and I doubt anyone else on this site knows for sure either. I'd sure like to keep my $25 plan and get a phone with a NFC chip in it, though.
    Last edited by thoughtlover; 05-17-2012 at 05:46 PM.

ROM
    Harmonia 3

Rumor is the 19th, 20th, 21st will be the last day you can register an Elite and stay grandfathered. Supposedly Virgin changed it, to allow some to upgrade. Thing is, you might do it and still be upgraded next month.

Virgin has really screwed this month up bad in terms of announcements and such.