Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Carrier
    MIUIv4

Default Torn.

I'm torn between upgrading to the Evo V or GSM Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile's prepaid. Any input is appreciated.

Sent from my LG Optimus V running Cyanogenmod 9.

Carrier
    cm9

Quote Originally Posted by Octahedron View Post
    I'm torn between upgrading to the Evo V or GSM Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile's prepaid. Any input is appreciated.

I'm having the same issue... leaning toward T-Mobile for the cheaper plan, but I love the vm community
    AC Forums Android Developer

Carrier
    Harmonia 3

Default Re: Torn.

Ask your neighbors with T-Mobile what reception is like.
    Some places are good for one company and bad for another, in such cases, phone choice takes a serious back seat to carrier choice.

Also, take a look at each developer community and help forums, see what people are saying about the phones. Some phones, (including Samsung and Nexus) aren't as good as you might think, including the Nexus. You hear people talk bad about every phone, some things are true, some are not, some are just misinformed.

Perfect example.. "the Evo 3d had poor sales and has no support".. Truth is, it is one of the MOST supported phones among developers and it sold quite well, especially when you consider it had to compete with the Iphone, Evo 4G and much cheaper phones. Not to mention was marketed wrong.

On the other hand, everyone seems to like the"Galaxy S2 4G GTR Turbo R Pro 2 Super Excellente" model (sorry too many stupid Galaxy models with similar names and too many designations), and yet support is pretty lackluster. Same with the Nexus, for all the talk, it doesn't have this fantastic support community you would expect. Lots of stock roms, but how about Sense, or MIUI, or Lewa, or AOKP, or... No, you get 150 flavors of stock GB and 100 flavors of stock ICS.

That isn't even getting into the phone sizes in relation to screen sizes or sdcard slots. Internal vs external memory... 16megs internal memory runs around $200, need more? oh, sorry, but a new phone. $16 for a 16gig SDcard, need more? $25 for 32gigs, need more, there is still a 64gig card.

Don't get me wrong, I looked at getting a Nexus when got my Evo 4G, it's a nice phone, but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be.

I'm also undecided between these two phones/carriers. LeslieAnn thanks for the valuable insight, as always.

Funny. I struggled with the same thing. The big difference maker for me was the development and knowing my habits. I love trying new roms and after looking at the Nexus forums, every ROM looks the same.

Check out the Evo 3d forums at xda. There are tons of roms!

Plus, Virgin has the best reception of any carrier I've tried. Not one dropped call in over a year. I just can't mess with that.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Carrier
    MIUIv4

Leaning towards the Evo V at this point, but that could change. What if the Evo 3d roms can't be ported over? Happened with the Wildfire S on Virgin..
    AC Forums Android Developer

Carrier
    Harmonia 3

Leaning towards the Evo V at this point, but that could change. What if the Evo 3d roms can't be ported over? Happened with the Wildfire S on Virgin..
    Porting them is Simple! I can do a Harmonia 2 in about 5 minutes.

Leslie, we're getting close aren't we?

Can't wait. I hope JerryScript makes the jump too!

Carrier
    My Version Of CNA

I am also undecided tmoble reception in my area is waay better than virgin and plus the nexus does exactly what i need. Btw the nexus does have AOKP

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

See Arnold, in that case I'd actually lean towards the Nexus. It does look like the Evo has more ROM options though. I know someone who has the Nexus and he said that every ROM is pretty much a variation of stock ICS. There's no Miui, Lewa, or of course Sense.

For me, that's a difference maker. It's all about your habits though. With a better phone, you may not feel the need to try different Roms all the time.

Carrier
    My Version Of CNA

Quote Originally Posted by mjs2011 View Post
    See Arnold, in that case I'd actually lean towards the Nexus. It does look like the Evo has more ROM options though. I know someone who has the Nexus and he said that every ROM is pretty much a variation of stock ICS. There's no Miui, Lewa, or of course Sense.

For me, that's a difference maker. It's all about your habits though. With a better phone, you may not feel the need to try different Roms all the time.

I was looking at the xda forums of the nexus and yes there is only ics roms. But as long as i have 1 stable I'm good. So I'm leaning towards the nexus

I just made the switch from VM to T-Mobile $30 plan...at my home (Western Colorado) I only receive 2 (out of 5) bars of reception but my download and upload speeds (1 to 1.2 Mbps and 750 to 850kps respectively) are much faster than I was receiving with VM (typically 350 to 450kps down and 550 to 650kps up). In town the story is much different...I usually receive 4 or 5 bars of reception strength and download from 9.5 to 10Mbps and upload 2 to 2.5Mbps. I have been VERY happy with making the switch and the few times I've spoken to the T-mobile customer service reps they have been extremely courteous and problem solved my issues quickly. As for the 100 minutes per month on this plan...I have no problem keeping under the 100 minutes limit. OH...and I purchased a HTC Sensation to use with T-mobile...rooted...running a 3.5 Sense custom ROM that is lean and quick. Good luck! And yes...the HTC Sensation is very well supported by the development community.