[HOW TO]Google maps battery drain fix

MasterTec

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Do you have poor battery life? Is Google maps using 20% or even 50% or more of your battery?

Here is a fix that may help.

The problem is latitude... The part of Google maps that can tell your contacts where you're at.

If you actually like to use this feature they're isn't a lot you can do but if you're like me and could care less then you need to disable it.

The problem is that if you're never logged into latitude then it is on by default! No it's not transmitting your location but it is constantly updating it which is why the battery gets used up.

You have to log in to latitude and then manually go to settings and turn it off. Then you can log out and never use it again and this should take care of the battery drain.

At least that worked for me. ENJOY!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Ronin Wolf

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I loaded up Latitude and it says that Location sharing is not turned on already.

Are you saying I have to turn sharing on, and then off again?

NetAlien

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing Maps at 97-99% & the battery gets quite warm; yet, I don't see latitude anywhere on the phone. Even if I kill Maps, it just comes back on it's own... The phone's Battery Use shows only Maps at 99%. Can't even uninstall the twerp. :p Worse, when I need Maps or Navigation, they often just die or crash...

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I have this issue with my Note 2, ever since 4.1.2 Maps has been at the top of the battery list even when my phone is just unpluged from the charger and sits all night. I wake up and it's number one battery drain and CPU used app. I've been trying to find a fix and this might be one or so I hope. I'll check in tomorrow.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
This didn't fix it. Thanks for trying though.
Keep on keeping on.

Make sure to go to the Play Store and update you're review on maps and Google Now. The more bad reviews they get the more they might try and fix it.

The main cause is Google Now. That's what's using maps so much. But it never did it before 4.1.2 so it must be Google Now conflicting with maps or maps conflicting with Google Now. Either way they are apps that can be updated. So let's just hope they can fix it that way and do so very soon.

I like Google Now far too much to disable it. But the battery drain does indeed suck.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

backitude

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
For those still looking to provide Google Latitude locations or Google Location history or locations within Google NOW, please see my app: Backitude for Google Latitude in google play store. It can be used to completely replace Google's location service on android, or just help it. For the sake of your battery, I prefer "replace".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01