Whats next

neocrypter

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
My OV is starting to act up, force closes, random reboots, no matter what rom i use, and trust me ive tried everything from root stock to the ics roms that are out now. I've determined that it has to be a hardware issue, the phone has been an amazing little android tough as nails its been drenched in tea and coffee a couple times in the couple years ive had it and just kept on chugging after i let i dry of course. But its finally time to retire it and im wondering what i should get next.

I'm kinda interested in the optimus elite but the lack of roms and root for the device yet kinda turns me off to it. the stats look good for the price and i haven t seen too many bad reviews, but im kinda looking for something that has a larger screen as I am 6'7'' 280 lbs im a big guy with big hands the one thing about the ov i didn't like was it seemed puny in my hand. the HTC EVO V looks great but im not sure i want to pay 300 bucks for a phone the 200 range ok but 300 is a bit steep in my opinion .

So i turn to the community for some ideas.

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at switching to Straight Talk no contract when I'm done with this phone. It's on the ATT GSM network and phones that accept a sim card should work on it. $45/mo unlimited everything. Hopefully the Samsung Galaxy Note will come down in price by then.

neocrypter

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Well i went out today, and picked up a suitable replacement, grabbed the Optimus Elite radio shack had it for 129.95, so far its a nice upgrade over my trusty OV be nice when there are a few roms for it, and i was looking at going to straight talk eventually kinda waiting for the note to come down a bit too lol thats one i would actually pay the price for ;)

Octahedron

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking at switching to Straight Talk no contract when I'm done with this phone. It's on the ATT GSM network and phones that accept a sim card should work on it. $45/mo unlimited everything. Hopefully the Samsung Galaxy Note will come down in price by then.

I had no idea that Straight Talk let you use unlocked GSM phones. Now I'm torn again between the Galaxy Nexus and the One V...

joerivera17

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
If by any chance you look up to the HTC evo v I would recommend to save $ 50 more and buy unlock gsm galaxy nexus is $350 it works with T-Mobile and at&t . It on the play store :D
But the elite looks cool . Give it a try it my work :)

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

magus7091

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Net10 allows unlocked GSM phones, check the website for details. You have to go unlimited but that's only 50 a month and if you do auto pay it's 45. The thing is, I don't know that an unlocked GSM phone will work on straight talk, as I have read that the SIM is locked to the phone and phone to SIM, I.E. you can only use that SIM in that phone and that SIM will only operate that phone. This was something I read on Howard forums at one point...

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The Elite is a really nice little phone, especially for the money.
The rom holdout is probably due to the devs working at making root easier and getting a working recovery.

I have pulled the system, and I am trying to get the boot.img, once that is done, a making a rom will be pretty easy, and the recoveries are in testing with the other Elite devs (which I suspect is close to working).

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Just curious - neocrypter if your OV hadn't started having issues, would you have upgraded to the Elite? I have an OV that's 2 years old and I'm looking at the Elite but other than the larger screen, it seems roughly on par with the OV, spec-wise.

Thinking about riding my OV until the wheels fall off lol

neocrypter

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Just curious - neocrypter if your OV hadn't started having issues, would you have upgraded to the Elite? I have an OV that's 2 years old and I'm looking at the Elite but other than the larger screen, it seems roughly on par with the OV, spec-wise.

Thinking about riding my OV until the wheels fall off lol

Honestly eventually, i loved my OV Awesome reliable and rugged phone, but i was looking at upgrading just not so soon, but ive got to tell you if you are thinking about the Elite is great, its a lot faster then the OV and the extra space is awesome. The screen is only a tad bigger but for some reason it really feels like i have more screen area even though they are the same resolution, the graphics quality is pretty decent looks a bit crisper then the OV. It was worth the fast upgrade, only negative thing i can say about it really is there seems to be a battery drain and i think its the NFC thats built in, as back cover seems to get really hot for no apparent reason, im going to try a few things to circumvent this. But over all for the price its a nice upgrade.

Does t mobile allow unlocked phones on pre paid?

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

I used to work for T-Mobile and i can tell you a great deal about GSM phones, the short answer is yes, as long as the phone is unlocked you can just stick a tmobile or att sim in it and run on those networks, on a rare occasion you might have to manually add the settings to get the 3g/4g and voice mail to work.

Net10 allows unlocked GSM phones, check the website for details. You have to go unlimited but that's only 50 a month and if you do auto pay it's 45. The thing is, I don't know that an unlocked GSM phone will work on straight talk, as I have read that the SIM is locked to the phone and phone to SIM, I.E. you can only use that SIM in that phone and that SIM will only operate that phone. This was something I read on Howard forums at one point...

if you look at the straight talk website you can buy a sim only for about 15 bucks and just drop it in, straight talk piggies backs ATT's network which has an agreement with T-Mobile to use thier towers as well so either brand att or t-mobile should work without unlocking the phone ( though i could be wrong on that point )

neocrypter

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The Elite is a really nice little phone, especially for the money.
The rom holdout is probably due to the devs working at making root easier and getting a working recovery.

I have pulled the system, and I am trying to get the boot.img, once that is done, a making a rom will be pretty easy, and the recoveries are in testing with the other Elite devs (which I suspect is close to working).

Looking forward to this :D Im actually starting to consider working on building a custom rom for my elite, once we have a working recovery, and I hope someone figures out an easier root for sure.

By the way anyone that wants to root it now that needs their MSL i recommend calling Virgin and tell them you are getting an error 67 they will give you the MSL as its needed to fix that error ;) did it last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance