Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: $25 plan toast?

The Rise is a decent phone, had mine for a week or two so far. PM me if you have any questions or anything.
    --Chris [cole2kb]
    DF3

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    Most won't.
    While their bill would go up, switching means buying another phone and actually putting out effort, something most people really won't do. Most people are too lazy to even research a cell service. Which is exactly why AT&T and Verizon can charge such insane amounts.

Not to mention spending $100 on another phone just to save $5 a month means you aren't exactly going to be saving money for quite some time. 20 months just to break even, what a deal!

And I wouldn't count on better service. There is one neighborhood a few miles from me where the only service you can get is T-Mobile cellular service (no data), and usually only while outdoors. In my own neighborhood every carrier works indoors and out for all services, except T-Mobile. You can sometimes get calls indoors, but you can forget data entirely.

It just depends on your location as to how good service will be.
    But, then again people do actually upgrade their phones after using it for a period of time. It isn't like they just continue to use the same phone forever. And the great launch pricing of the Nexus 4 compared how most phones of that quality usually retail for provides a great opportunity for those who were already planning to upgrade their device.

It is also freeing to have a device that can actually be used on other prepaid providers as opposed to having a prepaid branded phone that doesn't work on any other provider, which makes it much more difficult to switch prepaid services at a whim as you mentioned due to having to get a different phone. Especially if you end up spending $200 to $300 dollars on a phone like the HTC EVO V that only works on Virgin Mobile.

Not to mention, users on prepaid plans tend to be less lazy than the average phone user who just signs up for the most heavily marketed carriers, so it wouldn't surprise me if the increase led to those individuals jumping to a different service.

ROM
    quattrimus cm9

Quote Originally Posted by cole2kb View Post
    The Rise is a decent phone, had mine for a week or two so far. PM me if you have any questions or anything.
    The rise looks like a good phone I'd just want a better camera though

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by johnh02 View Post
    The rise looks like a good phone I'd just want a better camera though

True, the camera really leaves something to be desired. Same resolution as the V, but you trade an LED flash for auto-focus.
    --Chris [cole2kb]
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by anthonycr View Post
    I'm planning to leave for T-Mobile if they hike me. My service can't be worse on T-Mobile than it already is.
    Don't expect better service, T-Mobile only has edge in my city. They have no plans to bring 3g or 4g.

And for reference my city is the 2nd biggest in the state and we have lte coverage from Verizon already.

Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G
    Thanked by:
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    Harmonia 3

T-Mobile actually has less coverage than Sprint.
    Major carrier prepaid has no roaming, so don't expect spectacular coverage from either. MVNO's often have roaming, however their data plans are terrible.

Bottom line, you can have cheap, good coverage, lots of minutes, lots of data. Pick 3.

Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
    Thanked by 2:
    Anonymo and glarepate like this.

T-Mobile's smaller coverage area probably won't matter as much to people who stay in well-covered areas. I'm definitely eyeing their $30 prepaid plan if Virgin Mobile does get rid of the $25 plan since I typically use fewer than 100 minutes a month (I use voip when I'm on wifi). The only reason I've put up with Virgin Mobile's poor data speeds is because of the price, and if they eliminate that advantage, then there's little reason for me to stay since T-Mobile coverage is as good as Sprint coverage where I live, T-Mobile's data speed will certainly be better, and I can use any T-Mobile or unlocked GSM phone that I want.
    nudder likes this.
    Themer. You've seen them

ROM
    Stock

plan toast?-uploadfromtaptalk1352149796765.jpg
     plan toast?-uploadfromtaptalk1352149807943.jpg

The red dot indicates where I live. The top picture shows that I am technically out of VM's service area (I actually had to usa different zip code when activating my Optimus). I get 1 out of 6 bars in my house of 3G.

The bottom picture shows me on T-Mobile's coverage map, well inside 2G coverage, the 2G coverage goes quite a ways around my house (according to the map).

So... hmmmm... I wonder who has better service for me in reality, elsewhere coverage looks comparable to VM service. I don't know anyone with T-Mobile to ask though.

ROM
    MiRaGe/jawz101 kernel

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1352149796765.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	44857
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1352149807943.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	44858

The red dot indicates where I live. The top picture shows that I am technically out of VM's service area (I actually had to usa different zip code when activating my Optimus). I get 1 out of 6 bars in my house of 3G.

The bottom picture shows me on T-Mobile's coverage map, well inside 2G coverage, the 2G coverage goes quite a ways around my house (according to the map).

So... hmmmm... I wonder who has better service for me in reality, elsewhere coverage looks comparable to VM service. I don't know anyone with T-Mobile to ask though.
    I get really lame Sprint coverage but amazing T-Mobile coverage.
    Hey, anthony, how's that Nexus 7 treating you?
    Themer. You've seen them

ROM
    Stock

I love it. I used my phone only once today, to send one text because I can do everything else on the nexus. In fact, my phone was used so little that it still has 98% battery after 10 hours haha.
    johnh02 likes this.

ROM
    MiRaGe/jawz101 kernel

I love it. I used my phone only once today, to send one text because I can do everything else on the nexus. In fact, my phone was used so little that it still has 98% battery after 10 hours haha.
    I'm considering getting one and tethering the V to it.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #87  

"The bottom picture shows me on T-Mobile's coverage map, well inside 2G coverage, the 2G coverage goes quite a ways around my house (according to the map).

So... hmmmm... I wonder who has better service for me in reality, elsewhere coverage looks comparable to VM service. I don't know anyone with T-Mobile to ask though."

Looking at the map I am about 5 miles from your location.
    I tried the T-Mobile 4G $30 plan with a Galaxy prepaid phone, no data inside my house and horrible slow EDGE outside.
    I had to drive to the North Greenbush Walmart to get a slow 4g signal.
    Returned the phone and called T-Mobile for the $30 plan refund, maybe it will work better for you but I sort of doubt it.
    Thanked by:
    anthonycr likes this.
    Themer. You've seen them

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by AQAA View Post
    Looking at the map I am about 5 miles from your location.
    I tried the T-Mobile 4G $30 plan with a Galaxy prepaid phone, no data inside my house and horrible slow EDGE outside.
    I had to drive to the North Greenbush Walmart to get a slow 4g signal.
    Returned the phone and called T-Mobile for the $30 plan refund, maybe it will work better for you but I sort of doubt it.
    Thanks. That's too bad, although I don't know if I need the data too much anymore. Now I have something to reference.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Why not look into Straight Talk's AT&T SIM?
    --Chris [cole2kb]
    Themer. You've seen them

ROM
    Stock

Isn't straight talk like $45 a month?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Still a great deal.
    --Chris [cole2kb]
    Themer. You've seen them

ROM
    Stock

Very true. I forget that you pay 100+ on a plan.

ROM
    BobZHome-

So does anyone have confirmation on this? Cause if this is happening, I'll move to T-Mobile

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    quattrimus cm9

It isn't happening

Sent from my CAI VM670

ROM
    BobZHome-

Quote Originally Posted by johnh02 View Post
    It isn't happening

Sent from my CAI VM670
    No?

ROM
    quattrimus cm9

Quote Originally Posted by skurtov View Post
    No?

No it is not going to happen

Sent from my CAI VM670

ROM
    2.6.32.9-v3.7

I have been on the $25 plan for two years now and regularly check my account online and have yet to see anything about the plans increasing. Please correct me if I have overlooked this and if I have can I get a reference on where this was found.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

I'm good till dec nothing yet from them about increasing the plan.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    IHO

The T-mobile plan is looking pretty good to me. As much as I've loved my optimus v and virgin (even with its slow 3g speeds), when it is time to get a new phone I'll probably check out this $30 walmart plan. Does anyone have any more recommendations on phones to pair up with this plan? Also, how easy is it to set up the plan with any phone? Some reviews on Walmart.com say you can only use phones bought at walmart :/ I'm sure they are just ignorant on this subject though

ROM
    MiRaGe/jawz101 kernel

Quote Originally Posted by gbeaguilar View Post
    The T-mobile plan is looking pretty good to me. As much as I've loved my optimus v and virgin (even with its slow 3g speeds), when it is time to get a new phone I'll probably check out this $30 walmart plan. Does anyone have any more recommendations on phones to pair up with this plan? Also, how easy is it to set up the plan with any phone? Some reviews on Walmart.com say you can only use phones bought at walmart :/ I'm sure they are just ignorant on this subject though
    I know that this is the plan everyone uses with the Nexus phones.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast