$25 plan toast?

Phatninja55

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Lovely.. I bought my LG Optimus about two months before they upped it to $35 for new accounts. I'd been using a VM "dumb-phone" since 2003, and finally decided to get "smart".. Last I heard, you could keep the $25/mo as long as you didn't change phones etc.. Guess thats out now..

Has not been confirmed yet, don't loose hope, it may not be taken away.

Last edited:

Hindolam

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the claims but sheetz in my area does not and will not be getting more $25 top up cards. I tried 3 locations....crappp. I'll be moving to straight talk family if this is the case :/

This entire month I only used 169mb data and 117 minutes ... I don't want to pay 35 for something I barely used! :(

Sent via AC on my OV Harmoniously

If you are not using much data, try ting. They have different data + voice + text combinations. You have to use their phones though - from LG Optimus S, Marquee to Samsung Galaxt S3 available. They are planning to allow Sprint Bring Your own Device as well.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the claims but sheetz in my area does not and will not be getting more $25 top up cards. I tried 3 locations....crappp. I'll be moving to straight talk family if this is the case :/

This entire month I only used 169mb data and 117 minutes ... I don't want to pay 35 for something I barely used! :(

Sent via AC on my OV Harmoniously

So u will pay $50 for the same thing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Sneaky_1

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Will this happen? I top-up in 3 days...

Trust me you will know when the official announcement happens. Forums and FB will be lighting up. So far this is just a rumor. One person saying one CS said something. Personally virgins teir 1 CS's arent very knowledgeable.

drew_t

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I just got the monthly text message notifying me that they'll be charging me in three days. No mention of a price hike. I think this whole thing was a mistake, or a hoax.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

tli

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm planning to leave for T-Mobile if they hike me. My service can't be worse on T-Mobile than it already is.

Ditto... the purported 40% price increase has not been justified with any 40% increase in service and/or performance....

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Maybe AQAA is a Virgin employee and this is all marketing research to see how customers would react to a rate increase. ;)

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm planning to leave for T-Mobile if they hike me. My service can't be worse on T-Mobile than it already is.

I may go to straight talk because I really want the new Nexus 4, it looks freaking sweet. But I'm not so sure I'm prepared to even pay 45 a month. I just wish virgin let you bring your own phone, Imo that would be worth paying 35 a month for.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Most won't.
While their bill would go up, switching means buying another phone and actually putting out effort, something most people really won't do. Most people are too lazy to even research a cell service. Which is exactly why AT&T and Verizon can charge such insane amounts.

Not to mention spending $100 on another phone just to save $5 a month means you aren't exactly going to be saving money for quite some time. 20 months just to break even, what a deal!

And I wouldn't count on better service. There is one neighborhood a few miles from me where the only service you can get is T-Mobile cellular service (no data), and usually only while outdoors. In my own neighborhood every carrier works indoors and out for all services, except T-Mobile. You can sometimes get calls indoors, but you can forget data entirely.

It just depends on your location as to how good service will be.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Most won't.
While their bill would go up, switching means buying another phone and actually putting out effort, something most people really won't do. Most people are too lazy to even research a cell service. Which is exactly why AT&T and Verizon can charge such insane amounts.

Not to mention spending $100 on another phone just to save $5 a month means you aren't exactly going to be saving money for quite some time. 20 months just to break even, what a deal!

And I wouldn't count on better service. There is one neighborhood a few miles from me where the only service you can get is T-Mobile cellular service (no data), and usually only while outdoors. In my own neighborhood every carrier works indoors and out for all services, except T-Mobile. You can sometimes get calls indoors, but you can forget data entirely.

You're completely right about most not switching. My thoughts are that by the time they hike my price, I'll be due for a new phone since my OV is already a 1.5 years old (I'll probably wait till two), so instead of buying a new virgin device, I'd just switch and buy a phone elsewhere.

And you're right about no guarantees that T-Mobile will be better, I'm not expecting it to be. But as long as I have service at my house, I could live with it, because if there is service at my house (where sprint barely has service) then there will be service in the places I expect (like the city). I already don't get usable service in the woods and such, so having a little less pathetic service wouldn't bug me too much. Also for me, the nearest tower is at least a couple miles away and T-Mobile shows some service at my house so I assume its off the same tower which would give me comparable service. I am guessing that data coverage will be worse under T-Mobile, but since I have wifi at my house and school (places I spend 90% of my time) I can live with it.

All that said, switching wouldn't be ideal for everyone, I realize that. I may not even switch, but if they hike us, it might actually save money.

AQAA

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Maybe AQAA is a Virgin employee and this is all marketing research to see how customers would react to a rate increase. ;)

Darn it, my cover is blown, back to the drawing board.

On a completely different note, I tried the T-Mobile 4G with a Galaxy Exhibit.
Could not get any data signal in my house and had to drive 10 miles to find a 4G signal.
The 4G was slower than my VM 3G.

Now back with VM and the $35 plan with a RISE phone, yep my company has the best service:)

DF3

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Most won't.

But, then again people do actually upgrade their phones after using it for a period of time. It isn't like they just continue to use the same phone forever. And the great launch pricing of the Nexus 4 compared how most phones of that quality usually retail for provides a great opportunity for those who were already planning to upgrade their device.

It is also freeing to have a device that can actually be used on other prepaid providers as opposed to having a prepaid branded phone that doesn't work on any other provider, which makes it much more difficult to switch prepaid services at a whim as you mentioned due to having to get a different phone. Especially if you end up spending $200 to $300 dollars on a phone like the HTC EVO V that only works on Virgin Mobile.

Not to mention, users on prepaid plans tend to be less lazy than the average phone user who just signs up for the most heavily marketed carriers, so it wouldn't surprise me if the increase led to those individuals jumping to a different service.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
The rise looks like a good phone I'd just want a better camera though

True, the camera really leaves something to be desired. Same resolution as the V, but you trade an LED flash for auto-focus.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Don't expect better service, T-Mobile only has edge in my city. They have no plans to bring 3g or 4g.

And for reference my city is the 2nd biggest in the state and we have lte coverage from Verizon already.

Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G