$25 plan toast?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile actually has less coverage than Sprint.
Major carrier prepaid has no roaming, so don't expect spectacular coverage from either. MVNO's often have roaming, however their data plans are terrible.

Bottom line, you can have cheap, good coverage, lots of minutes, lots of data. Pick 3.

AZImmortal

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile's smaller coverage area probably won't matter as much to people who stay in well-covered areas. I'm definitely eyeing their $30 prepaid plan if Virgin Mobile does get rid of the $25 plan since I typically use fewer than 100 minutes a month (I use voip when I'm on wifi). The only reason I've put up with Virgin Mobile's poor data speeds is because of the price, and if they eliminate that advantage, then there's little reason for me to stay since T-Mobile coverage is as good as Sprint coverage where I live, T-Mobile's data speed will certainly be better, and I can use any T-Mobile or unlocked GSM phone that I want.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
uploadfromtaptalk1352149796765.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1352149807943.jpg

The red dot indicates where I live. The top picture shows that I am technically out of VM's service area (I actually had to usa different zip code when activating my Optimus). I get 1 out of 6 bars in my house of 3G.

The bottom picture shows me on T-Mobile's coverage map, well inside 2G coverage, the 2G coverage goes quite a ways around my house (according to the map).

So... hmmmm... I wonder who has better service for me in reality, elsewhere coverage looks comparable to VM service. I don't know anyone with T-Mobile to ask though.

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 44857
View attachment 44858

The red dot indicates where I live. The top picture shows that I am technically out of VM's service area (I actually had to usa different zip code when activating my Optimus). I get 1 out of 6 bars in my house of 3G.

The bottom picture shows me on T-Mobile's coverage map, well inside 2G coverage, the 2G coverage goes quite a ways around my house (according to the map).

So... hmmmm... I wonder who has better service for me in reality, elsewhere coverage looks comparable to VM service. I don't know anyone with T-Mobile to ask though.

I get really lame Sprint coverage but amazing T-Mobile coverage.
Hey, anthony, how's that Nexus 7 treating you? :D

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I love it. I used my phone only once today, to send one text because I can do everything else on the nexus. In fact, my phone was used so little that it still has 98% battery after 10 hours haha.

AQAA

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
"The bottom picture shows me on T-Mobile's coverage map, well inside 2G coverage, the 2G coverage goes quite a ways around my house (according to the map).

So... hmmmm... I wonder who has better service for me in reality, elsewhere coverage looks comparable to VM service. I don't know anyone with T-Mobile to ask though."

Looking at the map I am about 5 miles from your location.
I tried the T-Mobile 4G $30 plan with a Galaxy prepaid phone, no data inside my house and horrible slow EDGE outside.
I had to drive to the North Greenbush Walmart to get a slow 4g signal.
Returned the phone and called T-Mobile for the $30 plan refund, maybe it will work better for you but I sort of doubt it.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Looking at the map I am about 5 miles from your location.
I tried the T-Mobile 4G $30 plan with a Galaxy prepaid phone, no data inside my house and horrible slow EDGE outside.
I had to drive to the North Greenbush Walmart to get a slow 4g signal.
Returned the phone and called T-Mobile for the $30 plan refund, maybe it will work better for you but I sort of doubt it.

Thanks. That's too bad, although I don't know if I need the data too much anymore. Now I have something to reference.

skurtov

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
So does anyone have confirmation on this? Cause if this is happening, I'll move to T-Mobile

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I have been on the $25 plan for two years now and regularly check my account online and have yet to see anything about the plans increasing. Please correct me if I have overlooked this and if I have can I get a reference on where this was found.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

gbeaguilar

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
The T-mobile plan is looking pretty good to me. As much as I've loved my optimus v and virgin (even with its slow 3g speeds), when it is time to get a new phone I'll probably check out this $30 walmart plan. Does anyone have any more recommendations on phones to pair up with this plan? Also, how easy is it to set up the plan with any phone? Some reviews on Walmart.com say you can only use phones bought at walmart :/ I'm sure they are just ignorant on this subject though

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
The T-mobile plan is looking pretty good to me. As much as I've loved my optimus v and virgin (even with its slow 3g speeds), when it is time to get a new phone I'll probably check out this $30 walmart plan. Does anyone have any more recommendations on phones to pair up with this plan? Also, how easy is it to set up the plan with any phone? Some reviews on Walmart.com say you can only use phones bought at walmart :/ I'm sure they are just ignorant on this subject though

I know that this is the plan everyone uses with the Nexus phones.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2