Optimus V: is this as good as it gets?

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the triumph is possible and I researched it. Way too many hardware problems for me to take a chance on it.

I was also hoping that t-mobile might have a better signal than virgin where I am - Silicon Valley - not out in the boonies!

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
One thing that looks tempting is t-mobile's $30 plan for 100 minutes and unlimited data with a nexus 4 from google. That would get me new hardware, JB, camera, flash, etc., and a friend seems to be doing well with stretching the minutes by using data for calls.

That t-mobile no-contract plan doesn't just jump out at you - they would much rather sell you a phone and it's only availabe online. It's on page Monthly 4G Prepaid Plans | Compare Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile

Web & Text with 100 Minutes Talk
$30 per month
Talk 100 minutes
Text Unlimited
Web Unlimited*
*First 5GB at up to 4G speeds
only 100 minutes talk time......please!
They do have the Samsung Galaxy Slll.
You could stay with Virgin Mobile and get the HTC Evo V 4G.It's bad to the bone. Check out the All Things Root sub-forum over at AF. Lots of development already with Root, S OFF and plenty of new ROMs.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
only 100 minutes talk time......please!
They do have the Samsung Galaxy Slll.
You could stay with Virgin Mobile and get the HTC Evo V 4G.It's bad to the bone. Check out the All Things Root sub-forum over at AF. Lots of development already with Root, S OFF and plenty of new ROMs.

Upgrading to anything more recent than the triumph would lose my $25/month plan. I'm hoping that with google selling so many Nexus, there will be more competition for cheaper unbundled plans. If the t-mobile $30 plan was increased to 300 minutes, I'd already be on it.

tossici

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
PAC ROM from thekraven seem pretty amazing. It's working out a lot better for me than the JBC rom. I especially like that you can easily OC from settings and the really cool pop-out pie navigation control. I actually pined it to the right side of the screen and you can just flip it out and go back, switch to home, show all open apps or search without hitting the hard keys. I took the EVO 4G back to radioshack and they adjusted the price down to this week's sale price $99. I have about 10 days left to decide ..... OV or EVO. I'm leaning a bit toward the EVO because the OV works for me 95% of the time but the few times that I really really need the phone to search, navigate, send an email it seems that is the exact time it decides to act up and I can't get anything done unless I reboot.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going to purchase a new phone until my area gets 4G LTE that I can afford.
Then I'll get the best plan and the phone with the most bang for my Buck (as long as it's not over $200.00).
Until then I have a backup V for if this one ever dies.

tossici

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm just a few miles outside of Philly and I wish I knew how well the 4G wimax service works. I know there's not going to be any more build out of the wimax network but I also know that there is no 4G LTE signal here yet. I very well may just open the $99 Evo v that I have still in the box at home and just start playing, ...getting root and flashing. Maybe hold off on giving up the $25/mo plan. 4G LTE sounds exciting but I wonder if it is going to take 1-2 years for them to get enough towers switched on for it to be worth it. I see the Galaxy Victory is already discounted $50 the week after they made it available. It seems to get the same reviews as every other phone running stock VM, ... poor battery life .... I guess the phone is only as good as the developer community/roms.

BTW I'm really happy with PAC Rom from thekraven. I really needed to refomat my SD card and start with a clean slate to get it working right but it was worth all the effort. The only minor complaint I have is that I couldn't toggle 3g from the quick settings but I just downloaded a widget from the play store and that works fine. I am still on ZV4 are there any options/benefits to switch to something else? If so can you point me to the appropriate thread? Thanks!

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Try "Notification Power Widget"
After you choose which toggles you want to display, reboot phone.
Those toggles will now be in the pulldown notification drawer.

tossici

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Well I finally activated the Evo V 4G that I picked up when it was on sale at Radio Shack. I'm very happy with the phone but it was a shame to have to lose the $25/month plan. I happened to update the first day of a new month. As it turns out when you do finally decide to switch to a new phone and you're moved into the $35/mo plan, VM won't charge you the new rate until your next month start date. So even though I'm now in the new plan I get one last month at the old rate. Just wanted to mention this for anyone who is ready to update. If you're at the end of your month and can wait until your next month starts you'll save $10 on your first month. I know it's only $10 ..........

ski522

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
If you're at the end of your month and can wait until your next month starts you'll save $10 on your first month. I know it's only $10 ..........
Every little bit helps in this economy. I would upgrade my phone if I could keep the $25 plan, but VM makes little money on phones, so there is no incentive for them to grandfather the plan. I will probably upgrade if they ever update their towers to 4G.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma