WiFi, but no 3G

speakxj7

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
i can get in to the site

seriously. they've emailed me back about half a dozen times now, and it's always ##VIRGIN# dialer code and/or various ways of running the activation.

vanjan14

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm able to get into the site and do everything.

I called virgin again today, they somehow lost my ticket, so I once again went through all of the troubleshooting and still no solution. I know for sure the problem is not with my phone and almost certain it is not an outage because it is happening everywhere I go. The problem lays somewhere in their network where it is not allowing unsecure connections.

5hi7h34d

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
i can get in to the site

seriously. they've emailed me back about half a dozen times now, and it's always ##VIRGIN# dialer code and/or various ways of running the activation.
I had that issue last week with my bookmarked login page (www2). I went to the VM front page (www) and logged in there no issue.

I also retired my old Optimus V and swapped with a HTC One V and had HUGE 3g issues. Turned out the old phone was still on (using it as a wifi device) but it was conflicting with the 3g on the new phone. Is their system so crappy they can't properly dole out IP addresses to the proper phone? Sure looked like an IP conflict to me. Pulled the battery on the old phone and new phone was instantly fixed. I was pissed because I had spent a couple days unrooting, installing RUU, fiddling, cussing, re-rooting, etc. all for nothing.

speakxj7

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
i've only ever had the one device during my time on virgin(or any sprint), i ported over my number from verizon.

but, as a commentary on how un-robust their system is, this is useful.
I wonder if in your case if you re-activated the old phone with a dummy MDN/MSID you probably wouldn't have had the same problem. Could have been colliding at that level?

5hi7h34d

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
i've only ever had the one device during my time on virgin(or any sprint), i ported over my number from verizon.

but, as a commentary on how un-robust their system is, this is useful.
I wonder if in your case if you re-activated the old phone with a dummy MDN/MSID you probably wouldn't have had the same problem. Could have been colliding at that level?

I was actually going to do that but it's running a CM7 gingerbread ROM and apparently from what I read, to do that, I need the VM ROM installed. It is an Optimus V so hopefully there is a workaround to be found in this forum?

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
You could follow the guide: Unbricking your Optimus V for the old V.This uses one of the Sprint firmwares/bin file. This will also zero out all codes. Then you should still be able to use it as a WiFi device.
You will need to write down the MEID an AAA codes before hand in case you want to revert back. Without the AAA code, no data service.

If interested: I'll post all links to all info you need to make better decision.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

5hi7h34d

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I could unroot and return to stock then fix it there. I'll be damned if I waste my time doing that though. VM's network shouldn't be so fragile for this to happen in the first place. No wonder google searches show tons of 3g issue threads with VM.

smtp_ajw

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm very interested in this issue... I have a Optimus V doing the exact same thing.

Just one day the 3G stopped working, but works if using Https. Wifi works fine.

Tried going back to stock rom, reactivating, clearing MIN number and reactivating, & changed network type to no avail. Cant change APN settings on an optimus v, so thats out..

Has anyone made any progress on this issue..?

speakxj7

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
nope, and VM hasn't been emailing me back in quite some days.

i'm going to let my plan month expire with insufficient funds, and then wait a bit, then add funds, to see if i can 'restart it' properly from the consumer side. it'll be some more days before that happens, though.

Ditka2k7

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Reupped my plan 10 minutes ago, posting on 3g..... So much for it not being a system issue.

speakxj7

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm also working on 3g. must've been sometime in the last two hours or so. I haven't re upped yet, so....

edit: 1048 pm is back out :'(

Last edited:

speakxj7

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
so... i've found that if i toggle wifi on when i shut wifi (or go out of range) off 3g will be broken for a while... haven't found a pattern for when it is getting restored.

seems like some significant latency between when 3g is established and when *all* the data starts working.
if you leave your phone on cell only (wifi off) overnight, will it work in the morning?

this is an improvement from before though, if i stick to 3g data strictly - it stays up.
i started drafting another email on the night of the 12th to VM, but too busy... given their previous responses i'm not sure it's worth my time.

eburn10

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I've got same problem. Did notice same as speakxj7 that turning on wifi is the cause. For me, waiting a day for 3g to start working after wifi is turned off does not fix. Called VM and they reset my 3g and after waiting overnight 3g was working, I did that twice. I don't know if some of VM''s other steps they had me try would fix as they reset my 3g at same time. I did those steps now and will see if it is working tomorrow. Turning on wifi did not use to do this.

Ditka2k7

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Wifi is definitely breaking the 3g connection somehow. I turned off wifi last night and restarted my phone and my 3g is working this morning.

smtp_ajw

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
tried no wifi overnight and can confirm it works. So I guess if I need 3g I can't use my wifi...

As for 3g fixing apps, those do nothing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance