Goodbye everybody - I've got to go. Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth.

Ronin Wolf

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I just thought I would say thanks to everyone on this forum for being such a great, friendly and helpful community.

I got my V in October of '11 and while I was excited that I was getting an Android phone, I was thinking that since this was such a 'low end' device on a relatively obscure carrier that there probably wouldn't be a very active development community for it.

I was delighted to find this place, and all the awesome devs who hang out here that are more than happy to provide tech support for free! You guys can't know how much that means to a poor man who is sort of just scraping by. If I had a million bitcoins, you'd all be rich!

Alas, after dropping my long suffering VM670 an average of once per week for the last year and a half (with no case), it is finally starting to show it's age.

KV3unAi.png

I've come to accept that it may be time to part ways. I loved my OV so much, I am only going to upgrade to it's big brother the LG Optimus Elite*. It looks like there is a pretty good ROM community over there, (and at least a couple of familiar faces) so maybe we can squeeze some life out of that device.

Anyway thanks again everybody, you rock!

Special thanks to Blarf, BobZhome, JerryScript, Leslie Ann, mrg666, and all the great people involved with IHO.

* Samsung Captivate Glide

Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Nooooooo. Please don't buy the Elite before asking questions in the forum.
I've heard it was a big turd.
Try the Evo V 4G instead. It's hard to find but Leslie Ann thinks it's the best phone VM has.
Either it or try the Galaxy Victory. Anything but the Elite.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Ronin Wolf

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I haven't actually purchased the Elite yet. I will ask around over there.

I saw a post on here by a guy who makes an Elite ROM and he was praising it. Which is what got me interested. The reviews didn't point out any major flaws and other than being a little dated it seemed pretty capable. Do you remember what people were saying about it?

The Evo V looks great, and I was going to get that, but they are "Out of Stock" on their website for the $180 version, and the cheapest Amazon sells it for is $266, which is more than I can spend right now, so my options are limited. (I'm just a poor boy, from a poor family)

I've been checking Virgin's website daily for the last couple weeks hoping that they get some HTC One V's Which would be $150 if I could get it on VM but $190 on Amazon. So far they are still 'temporarily out of stock'.

The Kyocera Rise looks good, I like the physical keyboard, but there seems to be almost no ROM scene for it and I'm not sure how sturdy it would be (I am a klutz).

Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Stay away from the Rise as well. After everything is installed on stock phone it only has 345MB of RAM free. Slow.
It has lots of internal storage, but no RAM hardly.

topdawg661

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I haven't actually purchased the Elite yet. I will ask around over there.

I saw a post on here by a guy who makes an Elite ROM and he was praising it. Which is what got me interested. The reviews didn't point out any major flaws and other than being a little dated it seemed pretty capable. Do you remember what people were saying about it?

The Evo V looks great, and I was going to get that, but they are "Out of Stock" on their website for the $180 version, and the cheapest Amazon sells it for is $266, which is more than I can spend right now, so my options are limited. (I'm just a poor boy, from a poor family)

I've been checking Virgin's website daily for the last couple weeks hoping that they get some HTC One V's Which would be $150 if I could get it on VM but $190 on Amazon. So far they are still 'temporarily out of stock'.

The Kyocera Rise looks good, I like the physical keyboard, but there seems to be almost no ROM scene for it and I'm not sure how sturdy it would be (I am a klutz).

Look on eBay (if you feel comfortable with it) the HTC one v is selling for $100 last I checked. Its an amazing phone I had it.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok I've dealt with some Vm phones so let me give you my opinion.

I left the OV for the Elite. It is a nice little phone and I liked using it. When I had it, it suffered major data issues with slow or non existing connection. I just activated one of the white Elites for my wife. With exception of a couple days of not being able to make or receive calls due to an activation issue everything has been pretty good. Currently have it rooted, running harmonia. I haven't tried the build of cm9 or muiu to see how they are.
After much complaining to Virgin Mobile because of the data issues I had with my Elite I guess they finally got tired of me so they sent me the One V. Very nice running phone with a great looking display. It had ok dev support and I used a build of Paranoid Android in it. Haven't really looked lately at any of the One V forums to see how things are now.

I now have the Evo V and I love it. Great running, well built phone. Has some good dev support. Currently running Angry Bean CM10.1 and everything works well. Highly recommend if you can find one cause they've been discontinued.

My wife had the Kyocera Rise for a little while and it is a pretty bad phone.. Slow, data issues, no dev support. It would constantly freeze up on her and lagged horribly.

I setup one of the Pcd Chasers for my brother.. Just stay away from this one

I would recommend a One V or Evo V as they are both really great phones.

Sent from my Evo V 4G using Tapatalk 2

Ronin Wolf

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I just want to give a quick update, since you have all be so nice about phone recommendations.

I ended up getting a really good deal on a Samsung Captivate Glide, so it looks like I will be leaving Virgin Mobile alltogether. It meets all my requirements, It has a GREAT camera, a slide out qwerty keyboard, and a thriving dev community over at XDA developers, ICS, and it was only $115! Oddly, the Glide board on Android Central is deader than disco.

topdawg661

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I just want to give a quick update, since you have all be so nice about phone recommendations.

I ended up getting a really good deal on a Samsung Captivate Glide, so it looks like I will be leaving Virgin Mobile alltogether. It meets all my requirements, It has a GREAT camera, a slide out qwerty keyboard, and a thriving dev community over at XDA developers, ICS, and it was only $115! Oddly, the Glide board on Android Central is deader than disco.

What company are you going to?

Ronin Wolf

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
What company are you going to?

I haven't decided yet, still researching. All AT&T plans and MVNO's suck *** as far as data and price goes. Which means I will have to unlock it to work with T-Mobile. I may try and get one of T-Mobiles $30 or $40 "Mobile Broadband" plans, (2 or 4GB) and use google voice/groove ip for calls. If the call quality/reliability is too bad, then I will try something else.

I still have 9 days left for VM so I have some time to figure it out.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Is the glide a GSM phone or a CDMA?

T-Mobile is a GSM network.
AT&T is a GSM network.
So it should be just a matter of swapping sim cards? At the most, rooting and installing a custom recovery, flashing an T-Mobile ROM, and swapping sim card.

Verizon, Sprint, and all carriers that piggyback off of Sprint towers are CDMA.

Metro PCS?

Ronin Wolf

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Is the glide a GSM phone or a CDMA?

GSM HSPA+

T-Mobile is a GSM network.
AT&T is a GSM network.
So it should be just a matter of swapping sim cards? At the most, rooting and installing a custom recovery, flashing an T-Mobile ROM, and swapping sim card.

I wish it were that simple. It should be that simple. Unfortunately, cell phone providers would rather try and force people to stay with them, instead of competing with good service.

If you have an unlocked GSM phone you can use it with any GSM provider.
If you have a phone that is locked to AT&T or T-Mo then you can use any MVNO that uses the network the phone is locked to. So if I were to choose an AT&T MVNO, I wouldn't have to worry about unlocking the phone first.

To unlock, I have two options, I can buy an unlock code, or try and hack a file to do it myself.

Metro PCS?

Thanks for the suggestion. I am looking into all of them since I have a week to decide.

Right now, Solavei is looking pretty interesting. They have unlimited talk, text and data (soft capped to 2G after 4GB) for $49.

They have a weird program where if you get 3 people to sign up for the service and use you as a reference, they will knock $20 off your bill. If you can get 3 more, the will knock another $20 off, to the point where they will actually pay you if you sign enough people up. Now this sounded a little shady and 'pyramid schemey' at first, but it seems like it's legit. c|net did a story about them and it was pretty positive.

There is also a Walmart Family Mobile plan that uses T-Mo, that is soft capped at 1G. I am around wifi quite a bit, so but IDK how much data I actually need. I am going to start monitoring my usage and if I use very little I might go with that or even MetroPCS's $40 plan that is soft capped at 500MB.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
You can't make a GSM phone work on a CDMA network or vice-a-versa. It's a hardware issue, not a software issue.

Ronin Wolf

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I am not trying to use a GSM phone with a CDMA network. I have a GSM phone, and I plan on using it with a GSM service provider. All the ones I mentioned are T-Mobile MVNO's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz