Rooted and installed Link2sd.....still only have about 40% on Phone free space

D o u g

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
A while back I rooted my Optimus V and installed Link2sd. I was able to move some apps to the SD card but I was still always flirting with low space. Last night I partitioned the SD card and that helped a lot. I was able to move more apps to the SD card and t it up to intall future apps to the card. However, even after doing that, I only have about 40% (~71 MB) space free on the phone. From what I've read online, people tend to get upwards of 100 MB of free space after doing a similar process.

While 40% is a good increase from where I was before, I'd like to have a little more cushion. Can I move any of the stock apps to the card even though they say I can't?

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
What size sd card?
What size is the partition?
What ROM?
What is the format of the partition.

You can delete none used pre-installed apps with it to gain more RAM.
You can move apps to the system with it.
Make sure all apps that aren't widget apps are moved to partition and linked, including lib files (doesn't do it automatically for all apps).
There is an Auto Link function in the settings.
You should not move actual system apps or the PlayStore to the SD card with it, just the pre-installed apps.
I have 101 apps installed with 112MB still free on the internal storage.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

D o u g

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
What size sd card?
8GB

What size is the partition?
Primary ~2.5 GB /Secondary ~4.5 GB

What ROM?
Stock ROM - I've only rooted at this point.

What is the format of the partition.
Primary -Fat32 / Secondary (Can't remember, but it wouldn't take Fat 32

You can delete none used pre-installed apps with it to gain more RAM.

Can I delete them without breaking things?

You can move apps to the system with it.
Make sure all apps that aren't widget apps are moved to partition and linked, including lib files (doesn't do it automatically for all apps).

There is an Auto Link function in the settings.
This is turned on

You should not move actual system apps or the PlayStore to the SD card with it, just the pre-installed apps.
I have 101 apps installed with 112MB still free on the internal storage.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
There is your problem.
Your partition can only be: No more than 20% of the actual space available (it is never as listed on device).
You have an 8GB sd card which means you can only have a 1.5GB partition (Link2SD just happens to work best with this size). If stock ROM the partition needs to be formatted to FAT32.
Transfer data to your computer.
What custom recovery is on your phone?
Do you have Windows, Linux. or Mac on your computer?
Your going to need to create a new partition table on the flash drive. This will give you a clean sd card with only one big primary partition. Then you can get it done right from there.
Let me know what O.S. you have. Most important.

D o u g

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
That's the first time I've come across the 20% rule. I am on the stock ROM. It's been a long time since I rooted it but it looks like the recovery was VM701. Does that sound right? Is there a way to check?

I'll be doing this all on the Windows OS.

Thanks for all of your advice!

Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Might be the VM670NH_recovery.img. It's a good one. The best is now the ZenGarden.

Download BootIt. Use whatever you used to create the partition to delete and merge the two back together making sure you now have one large FAT32 partition. Then use BootIt to make sure the Partition Table is OK. Then format again (default). with the Windows option (right click on sd card icon).

D o u g

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I used Disk Utility on a mac but it won't let me undo the partitions. I've copied the data from both partitions. Should I just reformat it (now on my PC) and just copy the data from the two partitions onto the one?

QuinnSF

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Wait, I have a 8gb card with 2gb partitioned. I've only used like 500mb or so on the partition. I've meant to lower it to 1gb but was lazy after I got everything linked up and never got to lowering it. Am I not utilizing my phone to its max performance by having a 2gb partition? I'm running Mirage.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using AC Forums mobile app

jameyscott56

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
A while back I rooted my Optimus V and installed Link2sd. I was able to move some apps to the SD card but I was still always flirting with low space. Last night I partitioned the SD card and that helped a lot. I was able to move more apps to the SD card and t it up to intall future apps to the card. However, even after doing that, I only have about 40% (~71 MB) space free on the phone. From what I've read online, people tend to get upwards of 100 MB of free space after doing a similar process.

While 40% is a good increase from where I was before, I'd like to have a little more cushion. Can I move any of the stock apps to the card even though they say I can't?

One, I would suggest deleting apps you dont use that often, or can live withou.
Two, I would start deletng your cache. From what I understand most, if not all of your cache, is store d on the phone and won't switch to the sd card.
Three, try a custom rom that doesn't have all the bloatware on it.

I hope this helps, this is what I did while I was using the OV as my DD

sent from that HUGE Phone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2