Correct and easy way to format SD card correctly

checcles

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Can any one help me out here? I have a new 8gb card coming. Thank you.

Edit: What partition is the best?

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Put the card into your phone and go into settings > more > storage and erase SD card

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
FAT32 is what is used for the phone. This is a default format and what is needed to see/transfer files in a Windows OS.
The only time this will change is if you need to create a seperate partition for use with a rooted phone and Link2SD. Stock ROM and Custom Froyo ROMs need the partition to be formatted to FAT32. Pretty much all Custom Gingerbread ROMs and up require the partition to be formatted to ext.4.

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
FAT32 is what is used for the phone. This is a default format and what is needed to see/transfer files in a Windows OS.
The only time this will change is if you need to create a seperate partition for use with a rooted phone and Link2SD. Stock ROM and Custom Froyo ROMs need the partition to be formatted to FAT32. Pretty much all Custom Gingerbread ROMs and up require the partition to be formatted to ext.4.

This is true for cards smaller than 32GB. For 64/128 GB cards he should use ExFAT

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

checcles

May 19, 2011
Visit site

Thanks you guys. Yes, it's this that I'm questioning about. How much room do I give LInk2SD?

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Does the Optimus line even support 64-128gb cards

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

They can work. The cards need to be formatted to FAT32 for general storage from a PC, and ext4 if Link2SD is used for a second partition. I use a 64 GB Transcend Class 10 card on my Optimus F3. I formatted mine using GParted in Linux. I couldn't do it under Windows 8.1... I think Minitool (?) might work there, but I use Linux more these days. Not sure about the Macs.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
What works on an F3 might not work on the V.
I'm pretty sure the V is only capable of using up to a 32GB. I think that info is in user manual.

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
What works on an F3 might not work on the V.
I'm pretty sure the V is only capable of using up to a 32GB. I think that info is in user manual.

I'm off today, so I'm at home doing a few errands. Took a risk doing these photos, but it worked for me. Posted them on flickr, where you can read the descriptions of proof that one can use a 64 GB Class 10 card on a V. Read the descriptions closely for details.

Edit: almost forgot... the time stamp for the photos is off. I took the photos shortly after I read your response from my gmail, Andy. Forgot to readjust DSLR clock before changeover to Daylight Time last month.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjXzaS6D

Last edited: