Random reboots

op t must

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
My stock V rebooted itself 3x in the last week.Early this morning it happened when I was not using the phone. When I looked at it the welcome screen was showing; out continued to boot okay.

Later this am, it played halfway through a video then the"cannot be played message" appeared. Shortly afterward, without warning or reason, the V rebooted once more

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How old is the phone? It may just be that it's starting to fail in general.

If you have an SD card inserted, unmount it (in Settings>Storage), remove it, and reboot. A corrupt card can cause problems. If the reboots stop, then try using a different SD card.

It could also be some app or combination of apps that are conflicting and causing the system to be unstable. Try booting into Safe Mode, which prevents all 3rd party apps from starting up. Use it for a while this way--if there are no reboots, then start opening apps one by one, to see when problems start. This can obviously be difficult to troubleshoot if the reboots are not very frequent. To get into Safe Mode on most Android devices, while the device is on, press and hold Power until you see the Power menu. Then press and hold the Power Off option until the Safe Mode prompt appears. Tap OK.

ThatGuyLurkin

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
You should clarify " V " BTW.

But I'm assuming One V, correct?

Like the above post, how long have you had the phone?

Does the phone get hot in your pocket, etc?

Maybe it's something you have installed?

How long did you have the device booted before it reboots, along with a number a apps you've opened?

Attempted a factory reset?

op t must

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
BD, thanks for the quick reply and suggestions. Yes its a VM O V (vm670)

Phone was bought in fall 2011.

Removed SD card and rebooted. I reinserted it and will see if reboots stop. I'm guessing you meant replace the card if reboots continue:)?
I should run it for a few days and replace the card if they continue, before proceeding to the Safe Mode App troubleshooting, right? (I did follow your instructions for Safe Mode, but never received the SM prompt.

I minimize App downloads and usage and use Android Assistant to help me manage the meager resources, especially ROM ( only 45 mb avail.) I had been trying to kill Google Play Services on startup, but the phone would not accept this, so I just took that app out of the short kill list.

Peace,
otm

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I wasn't clearer--I meant to remove the SD card and keep it out after rebooting. If the card is corrupt, reinserting it might cause the same problems again.

Considering the phone is pretty old and doesn't have much memory to begin with, it may be that it is just having a harder and harder time handling modern Google services. Ultimately, there might not be a whole lot you can do.

Also, sorry about the wrong Safe Mode instructions--what I had given you is the most common way, but it doesn't work for all devices. This is apparently the correct way for the Optimus V: http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/87312-how-safe-mode.html

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
BD, thanks for the quick reply and suggestions. Yes its a VM O V (vm670)

Phone was bought in fall 2011.

Removed SD card and rebooted. I reinserted it and will see if reboots stop. I'm guessing you meant replace the card if reboots continue:)?
I should run it for a few days and replace the card if they continue, before proceeding to the Safe Mode App troubleshooting, right? (I did follow your instructions for Safe Mode, but never received the SM prompt.

I minimize App downloads and usage and use Android Assistant to help me manage the meager resources, especially ROM ( only 45 mb avail.) I had been trying to kill Google Play Services on startup, but the phone would not accept this, so I just took that app out of the short kill list.

Peace,
otm

Considering the phone is pretty old and doesn't have much memory to begin with, it may be that it is just having a harder and harder time handling modern Google services. Ultimately, there might not be a whole lot you can do.
...[/url]
the new play services takes over 1/3 of the free space in /data all by itself. it's like since google can't outright stop any of us from using old hardware, they'll just make it improbable we can continue to do so without rooting and either doing wanky workarounds like my os2sd running straight from the sd card or rooting just to remove all the bloated 'ware like Google's to make room for apps we actually want.
they've made several G-apps unusable on our old chipsets already anyway, like any version of Earth and recent G+...

op t must

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Happy New Year and Update:

I am thankful for all the input and would likely be more diligent in troubleshooting it I thought the OV was viable for everyday use. I have since tried the Safe Mode, kind of for testing purposes, Power+Menu worked just fine. Having tried a second SD card which did not really affect rebooting; I uninstalled Avast and Android Assistant just to see if web browsing improves. So far so good. I've chosen not to root and probably won't try a custom ROM or boot loader.

BigSuperSquid, you confirmed my feelings when I finally took the Play Services dive- it would be the beginning of the end for my OV. It served me well.

I'm leaning toward Tmobile service via $45 Straight Talk plan and something like a 4G Kit Kat-equipped LG Optimus L70 or Win 8.1 Nokia Lumia 635 (under $100). It will be nice to have a phone that will reliably load web pages and fit them on a larger screen, although I think I'll miss the pocketability of the OV. As I keep my devices as long as possible, a current or recent OS seems to make sense. I learned to rely heavily on mobile pages and would like to continue to do so, unless certain apps have a great advantage.

I'd love to get your feedback on service and phone choices, especially since I've never used Windows Phone. (The learning curve helping a friend with Win 8.0 on her All in One was not fun, but I like the concept of a unified mobile and computer user experience and don't see myself switching from Windows in the foreseeable future.) If the moderators want me to start a new thread here, I'm willing to do that, but don't want to leave the OV community out of the loop.

Peace y'all,
op t must

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
if you buy anything released stock with ice cream sandwich, jellybean, kitkat, or lollipop, you'll be clear of the older SoC (system on chip) issues of the optimus v.
people seem to like t mobile... Verizon prepaid service still expensive and poor customer service but better coverage than sprint in rural Missouri.
personally never liked at&t or us cellular myself but no for specific reasons.
and I'll never ever recommend anything Micro$oft sells. I'd even buy Apple iThings first and they cost way too much. the total closed source aspects and horrible market practices of those two racketeering entities guarantees no support from me.
//edit:
hmmm.
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/NET-Goes-Open-Source said:
.NET Goes Open Source
Nov 18, 2014
By Joe Casad

Redmond joins the revolution by turning the .NET Core Runtime into a GitHub project.

Microsoft announced that it is releasing the .NET Core Runtime and libraries as open source code under an MIT license. Microsoft VP for Cloud and Enterprise Scott Guthrie writes in his blog that Redmond is open-sourcing the .NET Core Runtime, which includes “the CLR, Just-in-Time Compiler (JIT), Garbage Collector (GC), and core .NET base class libraries.”
The news follows a series of earlier announcements this year, marking a significant shift in the company’s relationship with the world of open source. In April, Microsoft launched the .NET Foundation, a non-profit group that would guide future development of .NET technologies. Leading open source developer (and creator of the Mono framework) Miguel de Icaza was even added to the .NET Foundation board. Also, the company has recently open-sourced code for ASP.NET, EF, Web API, NuGet, and the "Roslyn" C# and VB compilers.

The recent moves to embrace open source should help build better collaboration between Microsoft and community-based programmers. The company is also hoping that eliminating restrictions on the use of its technologies will lead to more widespread acceptance. As many commentators have pointed out, Microsoft has significantly changed its stance on open source since 2001, when then-CEO Steve Ballmer called Linux “… a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches.” But actually Redmond figured out it couldn’t squelch open source software several years ago, and the change to better cooperation has been gradual. Acceptance picked up steam when Satya Nadella took over as the new Microsoft CEO; he even appeared recently beneath a giant projection of the words “Microsoft” and “Linux,” with a big red heart between them to affirm that “Microsoft Loves Linux.”
//end edit
as far as cross device compatibility on win8, some one informed me that's somewhat misleading as there is an arm and x86 version both. the arm (mobile) version may be a bit crippled as far as compatibility goes, but do your research on the specific device you're interested in to be sure!
oh, and like anyone else's, make sure you take a grain of salt with my advice.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech