Excessive Battery Drain (Even On Standby)

darrenb1988

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I think its the 3g. I left my phone on wifi all night and woke up to 100% battery. I am running zefies 2.3. Even though 3g doesn't have connection more than half of the time it still shows on the phone like if it were active even though internet isn't flowing. I think this is draining our batteries.

Update: I left my wifi on all night again and went from 100% battery to 26% which is crazy. My wifi didn't sync any of my apps because when i switched to 3g my e-mail came flooding in. Cell stand by and phone idle ate up my battery.

Last edited:

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I think its the 3g. I left my phone on wifi all night and woke up to 100% battery. I am running zefies 2.3. Even though 3g doesn't have connection more than half of the time it still shows on the phone like if it were active even though internet isn't flowing. I think this is draining our batteries.
This is why I use y5 battery saver, it manages this for me...whenever wifi is available it uses wifi instead of 3g.

Acrutten

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree and believe the 3g is the real battery drainer here. At first I saw this thread and tried the cell stand by bug fix and thought it helped a little bit. I was getting from 10 to 11 hours of battery life. Then yesterday I went ahead and turned off the 3g. I can still make and receive texts, and calls. Plus I'm around wi-fi normally at home and work so I use that to surf the net and do stuff. Well, I woke up today and after giving it medium usage the day before. I even had to turn on the 3g and gps to get some navigation because I got lost for about half an hour :). Anyways, my battery is now at 60% at 17 hours since unplugged. I'd say that's a significant increase. I guess the thing is to treat the 3g like wi-fi and only turn it on when you need it.

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree and believe the 3g is the real battery drainer here. At first I saw this thread and tried the cell stand by bug fix and thought it helped a little bit. I was getting from 10 to 11 hours of battery life. Then yesterday I went ahead and turned off the 3g. I can still make and receive texts, and calls. Plus I'm around wi-fi normally at home and work so I use that to surf the net and do stuff. Well, I woke up today and after giving it medium usage the day before. I even had to turn on the 3g and gps to get some navigation because I got lost for about half an hour :). Anyways, my battery is now at 60% at 17 hours since unplugged. I'd say that's a significant increase. I guess the thing is to treat the 3g like wi-fi and only turn it on when you need it.

Unless you use pushmail in which case you are screwed :)

jabailo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
For me it was the 3G. I just bought an Android Optimus V from Virgin Mobile. At first it had good battery life but as I added apps it degraded and was getting to where it was lasting only a few hours. I noticed the 3G light turning on and off.

So, I went and turned off the icon notification and auto checking for all my mail apps: Google, Yahoo and Android Mail. At that point, my battery life soared to the point where I can use it all day (and my day is long, 8 am to 1 am the next morning) and it only uses up about 80 percent of charge.

I also switched on the Wifi and GPS. That's part of what an Android phone is ... location based and having fast Internet. I did not notice any significant increase in battery drain with wifi or gps. It was 99 percent the 3G from certain apps.

Last edited:

JedC

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to blame the 3G as well. I did the same thing last night, fully charged it right before I went to bed, killed all apps, etc. The one thing I did different was that I disabled data connections entirely. Woke up 8.5 hours later, it was only down to 98%. It's just crazy that the data connection would destroy the battery as much as it does when it's not even in use.

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I use an app that places it in airplane mode for 12 seconds at boot up, and this solves that problem. I found it on XDA, and mentioned it earlier in this forum I think.

tzzoooma

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I think it's both 3G as well as Wifi actually.

During the day, when using 3G, I get fast drain UNLESS it's in airplane mode or switched to 1x.

During the night, when using Wifi, I get fast drain UNLESS I use Juice defender to turn Wifi off when it's sleeping.

Either way, it's about 10% drain per hour versus 1%.

Now the big question is, can this be fixed in a new CM7 ROM release, or is it just inherent with this phone
and android in general?

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Now the big question is, can this be fixed in a new CM7 ROM release, or is it just inherent with this phone and android in general?

None of the above. The issue is either you have poor signal or a naughty app. I leave EVERYTHING on (Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, data, Corporate email account set to push, Gmail sync enabled, Facebook Contacts sync enabled) at all times and enjoy 1% hour drain overnight. But I have excellent wifi signal in the house (it's on wifi at home) and good 3G at work, so my phone is never searching for a signal.

(this of course assumes you've changed the Wifi sleep policy as well, which should be step 1 on any Android phone)

You shouldn't need a third party app to manage this under normal circumstances.

eggFuJON

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Idk. The aospCMod roms have always been giving me poor battery, draining quickly, noticeable just after a few minutes. But with the new 03/02 build I have a lot better battery life. I was using it nonstop just browsing through the phone, setting stuff up, and a few app installs. I did this for 20mins, the screen never off yet, and it was still 100%.

rowie#AC

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
1) Turn of wifi and 3G until you need it. You can't think of the connection like a dsl - always on, always ready - well you can, but your battery will be run down very fast.
2) Use a wifi network at home - if you dont have it, invest in a wireless router - you have great apps like estrongs to get the most out of that set up.
3)Check what applications are using your battery up. I have the Optimus 2X and one of the apps pre-installed was soaking up 45% of the battery (LG Car Home) - I turn it off via settings each time the phones boots.
4)Turn down the display.

Basically - all of the advice everyone above has given - yet, from what I understand about the ram in smart phones - you dont need to use an app killer to free up ram.

- I went from 5 hours on having the battery down just 30% after an 8 hour work shift using the above. Turnig down the display to 20% made a massive difference.

androidsamurai

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Also posted this in another thread where user was having battery issues...

I was wondering the same thing(WTF is happening to my battery?) once I got the Optimus V and installed CM7 Mod...

Here are a few simple tips to really save your battery. Before I did this my Optimus would go from 100% down to 50% or so within a few hrs... Now I only have to charge every day or so..

First, use Power Control Widget or another version from the Market to switch your Data on/off whenever you need or use it.. Trust me this will save you hours of battery...

The Two vertical arrows are the data switch..
wmjtz4.png

If you have a custom rom, use User Profiles in SetCPU to something similar to what I have below...

I set a low cpu clock for when my screen is off...
357eczt.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol