Just got my Optimus V...how should I switch from my Intercept?

x_magus_x

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Just came back from Radioshack where I got the phone, some screen protectors, and a 4GB SD card for $170...anyway, I don't want to mess up rooting/modding/etc. the Optimus V like I pretty much did with my Samsung Intercept, so what's the easiest way to do backup and do recovery/root/etc., and what's the best ROM to use for it?

Also, can I do anything to the phone will it's still inactivated? Or will a custom ROM get rid of the phone's activation feature? And if so, can I get Virgin Mobile to activate it for me remotely, without the app (from a different phone)?

Desmock

Banned
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I started out rooting my Optimus v with HOW TO: Root Optimus V (Virgin Mobile) and they have you use ThundeRom as the ROM of choice. That ROM itself, I cannot for the life of me remember whether or not it had the Activator, but honestly I assume all would still keep it as I don't believe anyone considers THAT to be bloatware.

However, I'm pretty sure ALL ROMs require that you already BE activated, before you can apply them at all. That all being said... I'm not really an expert or even moderately knowledgeable about any of this ROOTing and ROM flashing stuff, but as far as I can tell three sure fire ROMs that work with the Optimus V are:

The link I previously stated using ThundeROM

RodimusROM v1.1 - Of which I am currently using, it's a pretty nice one

(ROM) Stock Virgin Mobile Plus Xionia BETA 2 - I haven't tried this one... YET, more than likely I will because I've been keeping an eye on that thread and it seems to be a good close to stock ROM with an overclock-able kernel.

So yes, there are some options for you, from what I've gathered anyways.

x_magus_x

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. The reason I ask about doing stuff before activation is because I use my phone often, and would like to be able to not worry about missing calls and whatnot while I'm rebooting or fixing some mistake or something.

As for the ROMs, any recommendation as to which one to use? And is ThundeROM actually compatible with the V? I was reading something about it being a ROM for the Optimus S, and using it on the V would disable voicemail and MMS and/or SMS...

Also, you said you're using Rodimus ROM....does that have the Activator?

Desmock

Banned
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I use my phone almost as much as I use my laptop... I'm a tech slave lol. But yes unfortunately you HAVE to activate before hand, I think it might have something to do with Virgin Mobile sending a check or something over the airwaves to see if it's a valid stock ROM. But yes, the ThundeROM does work with it, it was my starting ROM and it didn't mess it up any.

RodimusROM does have the activator, but again, I'm pretty sure you wanna do that BEFORE flashing.

shawnf1986

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Root using the method that is stickied.. And use the 2nd rom(its from the same user as the root method)... And the custom recovery is further down on the posts from takehull or somethin like that

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

shawnf1986

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
The only reason I say this is becuz I still a newb but everything was so easy to understand and my phone runs better than b4

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk