1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My max OC speed is 864 mhz

I am confused as to how people aren't able to OC that high without freezing. We all have the Optimus V, its the same hardware. I'm running Xionia btw.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

It all depends on you processor not everyone will be able to get as high stably. Its just like oc a pc processor it isn't the same for everyone.

ROM
    CM7.2-IHO-MiRaGe

Does it matter if you use a certain app?

It would good if someone can compile a list of phones that are over clocked along with which app they did it with and stable clock speeds.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

We all have the exact same hardware. It shouldn't make a difference at all. The only thing thay would make a difference is the rom and kernel.

Sent from my Optimus V

ROM
    CM7.2-IHO-MiRaGe

Quote Originally Posted by cpiddy View Post
    We all have the exact same hardware. It shouldn't make a difference at all. The only thing thay would make a difference is the rom and kernel.

Sent from my Optimus V
    I think a lot of factors go into overclocking a CPU, ram, temperature, build quality.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the kernels that come with custom ROMs are compiled with cpufreq, this is the deciding factor in the ability to clock the CPU, am I right?

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

Quote Originally Posted by cpiddy View Post

Sent from my Optimus V
    The thing is, we don't all have EXACTLY the same hardware. It varies on a nanometer level. For example, the processor in our phone is based on a 65nm process. That means the smallest thing can can be produced on that process is 65nm. That's about the size of one molecule of a virus (an actual biological one). At that scale, a few extra atoms here or there can make a difference, which is why some phones with the same processor can clock higher than others.

As an example, consider your car. Every car like yours has the same hardware, so you'd expect them all to break down in the same way at the same time. That simply isn't the case. There may be trends (one type of car may be more reliable than another), but for each individual car some things will be different.

Some cars may be lemons. The same applies to processors. Occasionally there may be a "bad" batch, which simply won't go as fast as others. The manufacturer simply guarantees a processor will go at least XXX Mhz (or Ghz) fast. It may run faster with some tweaking, but anything more you get is a bonus, not a given. In fact, "bad" batches of processors is so common that manufacturers simply take the bad ones and sell them as a cheaper, slower, part even though they are physically identical (in terms of design, architecture, and the process by which they are made) but are different enough on a microscopic level that one can run faster than another. This process is called "product binning" if you want to google it and read up on it.

Having said all that, it is possible for the software to make some difference but the absolute physical limits aren't determined by your kernel or setcpu. They are determined by what your processor can physically handle. In my experience Xionia is well sorted and stable and setcpu as well, so whatever you can hit with those is probably pretty close to the absolute limit.
    Thanked by:
    sdxben 

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

Quote Originally Posted by r00t View Post
    I think a lot of factors go into overclocking a CPU, ram, temperature, build quality.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the kernels that come with custom ROMs are compiled with cpufreq, this is the deciding factor in the ability to clock the CPU, am I right?
    You are absolutely correct. There are tons of variables. And yes, in order to enable a given frequency it has to be compiled into the kernel. As of right now, 864 is the highest frequency anyone can hit, so that's the highest available.

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 7

I see this question keep getting asked so heres Wikipedia:

"The immediate consequence of this practice is that, for liability reasons, products sold under a certain designation must meet that designation at a minimum. Individual products may actually be capable of somewhat higher performance than advertised. This practice is largely responsible for the ability to overclock computer hardware."

Basically, they manufacture say an entire wafer of ARM or Athlon II or Core i5 CPUs, they then test them, the ones that run at 2Ghz get put in that pile, the ones that run at 2.4Ghz get put in that pile. Sometimes CPUs that are capable of 2.6 get put in the 2Ghz pile. Sometimes however, a processor in the 2Ghz pile may not even overclock to 2.2. If they run out of 2Ghz chips, they may even use chips that tested at 2.4Ghz and just clock them down. Whether its a mobile processor, or a desktop/notebook processor, it all works the same way.
    Last edited by icemank121; 02-10-2011 at 11:07 PM.

How long the battery last in full charge for those who oc'ed to 800+mhz. Optimus V battery are s@ck even in standby can drain 50% battery for 12hrs. Just wonder is worse to oc

Quote Originally Posted by TekOne View Post
    How long the battery last in full charge for those who oc'ed to 800+mhz. Optimus V battery are s@ck even in standby can drain 50% battery for 12hrs. Just wonder is worse to oc
    I have my phone overclocked at 806 mhz and my battery will last around 3-4 days in standby. Currently my phone has been unplugged for 40 hours and is at 63% battery remaining. I've used it moderately to place calls/read email/send messages.

Schooled.

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gindlespa View Post
    I have my phone overclocked at 806 mhz and my battery will last around 3-4 days in standby. Currently my phone has been unplugged for 40 hours and is at 63% battery remaining. I've used it moderately to place calls/read email/send messages.
    Are you using pushmail at all? play any games? surf the web?

ROM
    LiquidSmooth JB(4.1.2) RC

Question

The reason some users can run at 864Mhz and some can only get to +/-787Mhz is that all processors are different...

That's right, your cpu may get to 787Mhz and mine may go to 1200Mhz and still be stable.. This is just a flaw in the process of creating processor dies....

I.E. Die = die in the context of integrated circuits is a small block of semiconducting material, on which a given functional circuit is fabricated

Mine will run at 864Mhz for a day or so and all the sudden wants to crap-out and my Optimus will reboot.. Basically, mine is not actually 100% STABLE at 864Mhz. 825Mhz or so seems to be good for me...

Still pulling 10s in Linpack with no prob..

A big part of how long your battery lasts is related to signal strength. I get a pretty weak signal both at my house (plus, I have aluminum siding, which doesn't help the situation) and at work (metal building, of course). Because of this, I get about 12 hours (OC'ed to 806/122). I'm confident that it would last longer if I had a stronger signal. I'm planning to eventually put in a repeater, which should help.

Edit...9.6 in Linpack for me. Stock it was 7.3, if I remember right.

Mine will run at 780 mhz max any higher and the phone just keeps rebooting