Optimus V as a Wifi only device?

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Is there anything stopping me from buying the Optimus V and using it as a wifi device only and not activating it as a phone? Is there any disabled functionality on the device if I don't activate the device (other than phone related things like calling, texting, and voicemail)?

I'm thinking I this could be a good alternative for a standalone portable media/lite gaming/gps device for $150. Maybe install sipdroid and use it with GV to enable wifi calling.

jackgopack4

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
you might want to change the wifi settings--currently the wifi switches off when the screen goes off; you can go into settings>wireless and networks>wifi settings. hit menu button>advanced>wifi sleep policy, click never. you will still be able to turn off the wifi, just with the checkbox. that way when you listen to Pandora etc. the screen can be off and still connected to the internet. I did it personally for torrents, using home wifi instead of 3g.

Reactions: Elmdor

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies. Good to know that it will work fine w/o activation. Best Buy's Buy Back program is free this week, I'm thinking of maybe pulling the trigger on this phone and see if that 4" Android phone from Virgin comes to fruition in the next few months.

Elmdor

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info on WIFI sleep, going to make overnight slacker updates alot easier since it was using data!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1