Disabling Virgin/Sprint's Bandwith Throttling [TUT/TEST]

teki9

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
This Stops Sprint's and Maybe Virgin Mobile's Bandwidth Throttling issue when using Pandora/Skyfire/Skype/Last.FM/etc

Get your MSL#
Easy way to get your MSL #: Easy way to get your MSL # - PPCGeeks

Go to phone > Dialer > ##3282# > Multimedia > Enter "MSL" > You will see RTST Proxy, HTTPPD Proxy > modify every list > set Address with "0.0.0.0", port with '0'.

I would copy down original #'s just in case you want to revert back for some reason!

I haven't tested it enough to know what Sprint is blocking/filtering/throttling and why. There are several potential reasons including:

- The proxy may be throttling bandwidth. Since 32k aac+ uses a very modest amount of bandwidth, you may be ducking under a threshold.
- The proxy may be doing site-based filtering. Perhaps the site you're connecting to isn't covered.
- The proxy may be doing content-based filtering. aac+ isn't as well supported as other streaming media. Perhaps it is being overlooked.
- The proxy may be overloaded with connections, and dropping higher bandwidth streams.

This is pulled from: Forum.ppcgeeks.com

Now does it work for the Optimus V?

We have to, since we are using Android: Go into settings, and update the Proxy from there.

Does it work for you? It did for me, speedtest posts in a day or 2.

tremulos

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
i did this on a few phones on sprint. they throttle streaming video and other downloads after doing this fix it also sped up my phone a bit and all my internet apps became snappier

anon(141613)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I got into the info screens via the long method at PPC Geeks on my V after the short method failed, but the MSL line is not listed/available via that method. On my V, at least.

I do find it interesting that one of the three ril lines listed, however, is:

[ril.proxy.bypass]: [true]

mikeladue

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I got into the info screens via the long method at PPC Geeks on my V after the short method failed, but the MSL line is not listed/available via that method. On my V, at least.

Same here . . . no MSL listed.

scoutconnor

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

Same here.
I am also unable to get ##DATA# to do anything other than try and dial a real number.

Last edited:

r00t

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I was browsing the files on the Optimus V through adb shell and I came across these strange hidden apps installed on the phone:

$ adb shell
# ls /system/app

SprintHiddenMenu.apk
LgHiddenMenu.apk
HiddenMenu.apk

So naturally I Googled it, specifically LgHiddenMenu.apk, and came across this tutorial to force roaming. Accessing the LgHiddenMenu gave me these really advanced configurations and testing for this phone. I think you guys might be able to access the proxy configuration through this. I haven't played around with it much yet.

r00t

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I was browsing the files on the Optimus V through adb shell and I came across these strange hidden apps installed on the phone:

$ adb shell
# ls /system/app

SprintHiddenMenu.apk
LgHiddenMenu.apk
HiddenMenu.apk

So naturally I Googled it, specifically LgHiddenMenu.apk, and came across this tutorial to force roaming. Accessing the LgHiddenMenu gave me these really advanced configurations and testing for this phone. I think you guys might be able to access the proxy configuration through this. I haven't played around with it much yet.

I can access it via the short cut > Data (all the way down) > Multimedia, but it asks for a service code. Failing to enter the right one reboots your device.

gfurr24

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I can access it via the short cut > Data (all the way down) > Multimedia, but it asks for a service code. Failing to enter the right one reboots your device.
I wonder what would happen if you deleted that LGHiddenMenu.apk? I saw this while exploring using Root Explorer and was a little disturbed by it as well. But if you say that it forces you into roaming, now thats a little disturbing.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
i did this on a few phones on sprint. they throttle streaming video and other downloads after doing this fix it also sped up my phone a bit and all my internet apps became snappier

It made no difference whatsoever on my Epic. Then again, the bottom two were already zeroed.

idbl_fanatic

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

What long method?

nerdmastax

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
i called virgin mobile and they said its aginst their policy to give it out and that its purposely blocked on the phone... so we need to rip it out of it by force...lol