Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How I moved Maps & YouTube to the SD Card

I managed to free up some internal space by moving Maps, Voice Search, Google Search, and YouTube to the SD Card.
    (Only works with those apps which re-downloadable from the market)

First, you MUST have a rooted phone.
    Install Move2SD Enabler with External enabled and a file explorer with similar functionality to Root Explorer (ability to r/w system folders).
    I personally use Root Explorer.

Not required, but I also use App 2 SD (the app). I find it very handy and a better overview of moveable apps than the built-in app manager.

Go into the /system/app folder and delete the apk's.
    Also go into the /data/app folder and delete the update apk's
    Reboot into recovery and wipe the dalvik-cache.
    Reboot the phone.
    Go into the Market and redownload the removed apps.
    They should now be installed on your SD card freeing up a little bit more internal space on your phone.
    Thanked by 4:

ROM
    Stock VM + Xionia beta

@jeannieindigital - thanks for the tip!

I tried it with Youtube and it works great. Will have to try it with the others later.
    --
    Mike
    --

Works GREAT!!! I just did it with MAPS, and YouTube

ROM
    CM7.2-IHO-MiRaGe

Nice, that's like over 16 MBs of internal storage saved. I would keep the apps that I use the most on internal storage and definitely buy a new microSD with a higher class number to improve performance. The one supplied by LG with this phone is very basic and slower than whats available these days.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by r00t View Post
    Nice, that's like over 16 MBs of internal storage saved. I would keep the apps that I use the most on internal storage and definitely buy a new microSD with a higher class number to improve performance. The one supplied by LG with this phone is very basic and slower than whats available these days.
    I agree about replacing the stock sd card. It was the first thing I did when I unpacked the phone.

Global Posts
    684 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by r00t View Post
    definitely buy a new microSD with a higher class number to improve performance. The one supplied by LG with this phone is very basic and slower than whats available these days.
    Are you assuming that or did you actually test it? I've read about it being tested in another thread at HF and the card performed at Class 8 speeds, which is more than respectable.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I didn't replace mine due to the class. I replaced mine because the stock card was only 2GB.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

@jeannieindigital , thanks for the tip.
    You are certainly on the right track with this, but I am always wary of instructions or advice that recommends deleting stock apps rather than first backup up the stock apps.

I am concerned that deleting stock apps could prevent future OTA upgrades from working. (see http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...de-issues.html)

Any chance you could amend your advice to include a backup step?

Quote Originally Posted by larryc View Post
    @jeannieindigital , thanks for the tip.
    You are certainly on the right track with this, but I am always wary of instructions or advice that recommends deleting stock apps rather than first backup up the stock apps.

I am concerned that deleting stock apps could prevent future OTA upgrades from working. (see http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...de-issues.html)

Any chance you could amend your advice to include a backup step?

I used the SDX Stock app removal program, it MAKES you back it up first.
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

That is why I said this will only work with apps that are re-downloadable through the market.
    You can download all of the apps I've listed in the market.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

But will OTA system updates still work if you have removed the stock apps from /system/app and replaced them with standard market apps?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

But will OTA system updates still work if you have removed the stock apps from /system/app and replaced them with standard market apps?

If you have root, you don't want to download OTA updates because they will unroot your device.

I used adb then remounted the /system as rw

when you install youtube make sure you change app2sd to auto because youtube wants to install internally otherwise the install will fail. reopen app2sd and change it to external then move youtube to the sd.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeannieindigital View Post
    If you have root, you don't want to download OTA updates because they will unroot your device.
    Yeah, I'll have to spend the 45 seconds again that it took to root my device the first time.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Yeah, I'll have to spend the 45 seconds again that it took to root my device the first time.
    Only if the OTA doesn't change the bootloader, then you will have to find another root method.

How about just using the SystemApp Remover app?
    Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by tzzoooma View Post
    How about just using the SystemApp Remover app?
    Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing?
    This thread is not about how to remove system apps. It is how to successfully move Maps and YouTube and a couple other redownloadable apps to the sd card as opposed to having them in the internal memory

ROM
    Stock VM + Xionia beta

Has anybody tried this method with Gmail? I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
    --
    Mike
    --

Correction once you trevor, you loose maps. Youtube worked though

Sent from my LG Optimus V

Reboot

Sent from my LG Optimus V

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Only if the OTA doesn't change the bootloader, then you will have to find another root method.
    @jeannieindigital, I do very much appreciate you discovering and posting this tip about how you moved the Maps & Youtube apps to the SD card, and I don't want to get in a p***sing contest with you.

However, that being said, I think it's ill advised to post instructions advising people to DELETE systems apps in a manner that could prevent any future OTA updates. Just because YOU many never want to OTA update your phone (for whatever reasons you have), it doesn't mean that everyone feels the same.

What I tried to point out in my earlier posts is that the instructions, while a great start, should really advise people to back up their system apps before any deleting so the phone can be restored to a "factory" state in the future if they so choose to. (My point being, I would expect you need a way to get the factory version of the app back into /system/app for OTA updates to work. If you simply download from the market, the app will end up in /data/app)

Someone else chimed in earlier that the SDX Stock App remover makes a backup before deleting a stock app. I think using this app in conjunction with the rest of your process would make the ideal solution.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

OTA updates being allowed is an allow/deny setting within the ROM and has nothing to do with whether you move around or delete apps. And you can always re-flash whatever ROM you have on the phone to get it back to the way it was.
    By definition the fact that the phone is rooted means it is no longer in a factory state.

ROM
    Stock V, CM7 Nightly Nook

Hey,

I cannot find the update apk's where are they?

Default Re: How I moved Maps & YouTube to the SD Card

I did everything according to the instruction
    Go into the /system/app folder and delete the apk's.
    Also go into the /data/app folder and delete the update apk's
    Reboot into recovery and wipe the dalvik-cache.
    Reboot the phone.
    Go into the Market and redownload the removed apps.
    , but after the last step got "Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card"
    ???
    Frugal Nerd Tinkerer

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted, leaned out stock

Default Re: How I moved Maps & YouTube to the SD Card

This process does work, but I would suggest considering link2sd - it moves apps to a separate partition on your sd card. The big upside is that you can set it to do it automatically to newly installed apps soyou can set it and forget it.

If you have root and are looking to do this, then you are sophisticated enough to make this worrk - it is fairly easy.

I used three or four mover 2 sd methods including the built in one and link2sd beats them all - it removes the main limitation of this device and I have not seen a single "low memory" dummy error since then!!!