Virgin Mobile MMS Issues Thread

icemank121

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Lets try and keep ALL MMS discussion to this thread.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation about MMS issues on VM using non-VM roms. So here is where we stand:

1) VM uses a non-standard MMS format. Incoming MMS comes from "9999999999" and is all garbled characters.
2) VM modifies the framework and Mms.apk to decode these messages and display them correctly.
3) This only affects receiving, if all the correct APN settings are put in CM7 or a Sprint ROM you could theoretically send MMS just not receive.

There is NO easy fix for this problem. One guy has put some work in and figured out how to decode the messages, but he hasnt been able to modify non-VM ROM to do so yet. Using his info it MAY be possible to modify the CM7 Mms.apk or framework to decode messages, since we compile CM7 from source code, it would be the easiest to mod. He posted his findings at SDX and at Virgin MMS additional info

The fact of the matter is, when using a non-VM rom such as Sprint ROMs or CM7. MMS receive is currently broke and may never be fixed.

Last edited:

ajnthebay

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue. I was not able to receive mms and later could not send as well. I've since been using Go launcher FX along with their Go texting app which is downloaded separately.

claudiac1969

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
as a side note - I sold my intercept and got the optimus V - I dumped the stock rom for the aospCmod.

Stock uses the rild library "/system/lib/libril-qc-1.so" as does the aospCmod - this is the proprietary Virgin radio lib and I *thought* was the responsible party for the modified MMS data - so, this is good news - the modification is occurring somewhere in the android framework - just have to find out where

I am trying to track down the exact path of the radio data - using QXDM, the data arrives in the format we want but somewhere, likely inside the framework, it gets altered.

Last edited:

ZipLipZ

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
as a side note - I sold my intercept and got the optimus V - I dumped the stock rom for the aospCmod.

Stock uses the rild library "/system/lib/libril-qc-1.so" as does the aospCmod - this is the proprietary Virgin radio lib and I *thought* was the responsible party for the modified MMS data - so, this is good news - the modification is occurring somewhere in the android framework - just have to find out where

I am trying to track down the exact path of the radio data - using QXDM, the data arrives in the format we want but somewhere, likely inside the framework, it gets altered.

Great work! I can't believe virgin has made MMS so complicated! You will be my hero if you figure this out.

Reactions: claudiac1969

Gutterball

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Even on stock rom I cant get my friggin' mms! I called them 3 times and they havent helped at all! I flashed the cm7 roms but to me they seem quite buggy and really eat at the battery bad! Though they are awesome!

ZipLipZ

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Even on stock rom I cant get my friggin' mms! I called them 3 times and they havent helped at all! I flashed the cm7 roms but to me they seem quite buggy and really eat at the battery bad! Though they are awesome!

So it stopped working after you tried a CM7 rom? Going back to a stock backup didn't help?

Gutterball

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
So it stopped working after you tried a CM7 rom? Going back to a stock backup didn't help?

No since I bought the phone and switched to virgin mobile. I have had no mms but the weird part is I can send and recieve pics from myself. So technically it works but not from other people!

ZipLipZ

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
No since I bought the phone and switched to virgin mobile. I have had no mms but the weird part is I can send and recieve pics from myself. So technically it works but not from other people!

That is weird. I wonder if you are having a different issue than the rest of us. Our MMS issues have been caused by switching to non VM rom's that cant handle VM's stupid MMS implementation.

ssam

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The 2.3 rom.. MMS works only when your sending pics message but doesn't work when your try to receive them.. i tested it out and it works for sending, plus the guy that created the 2.3 rom posted that mms worked only when sending..

Gutterball

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok now I still haven't figured out why I cant get mms on regular stock virgin mobile rom? But I did notice that for some reason anything sent from verizon customers is working now but AT&t customers doesnt! Thats weird why should the carrier matter on whether or not I get mms or not? Anyone heard of this issue before?

ssam

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Isn't that what I said?
I interpreted you message as if u were only asking if the mms was working on stock roms only. And also the mms did not work on 2.3 roms..
That's how most people will interpret your post.. plus your sayin it doesnt work on 2.3 roms.. which is false cause you can send pics but you cant receive them.

ssam

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
They is a website which developers created to deal with MMS issues. Basically its a website page open to attract all developers or anyone who has and idea on how to fix it. so far they have gotten close but not close enough lol.. I myself as a intermediate developer cant really wrap my head around it lol..

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

I interpreted you message as if u were only asking if the mms was working on stock roms only. And also the mms did not work on 2.3 roms..
That's how most people will interpret your post.. plus your sayin it doesnt work on 2.3 roms.. which is false cause you can send pics but you cant receive them.
I will try to be a little more clear next time. Sorry for the confusion.