Constantly losing data connection

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Anyone experiencing major delays with text messages?

Yep. Caused a friend of mine to get angry too cuz i was texting him i was gonna be late to something, and he never got those texts so when i showed up he was pissed. Also got my girlfriend mad at me 2 nights in a row when a message of me telling her goodnight didnt get through lol.

androidsamurai

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Desmock, Just chill....

This is VM's "TIP" for us to get our 3G working again as it is on their facebook page...

27528_114300980526_3761_q.jpg

Virgin Mobile USA
Hey guys, we've noticed some of you have been experiencing 3G web issues on your Virgin Mobile Optimus V phones. Below are some troubleshooting tips on how to reset your phone so you'll be good as new. If you need more assistance, email our social care team at VMUsocialcare@sprint.com.

1. Verify that Data services are enabled on the device (For LG OptimusV only)
a. From home screen
b. Hit Menu button
c. Select settings
d. Select Wireless and Networks
e. Select Mobile Networks
f. Enable Mobile networks.
g. Hit home screen
h. Try and browse the web.

3. When you're connecting to the web, what URL appears on address bar?
a. If it’s something other than Prepaid Cell Phone Service and Pay as You Go | Virgin Mobile or Virgin Wap then: (Works for both Samsung Intercept and LG OptimusV)
b. From the home screen
c. Select the web browser
d. From within the browser select the menu button
e. Select More
f. Select Settings
g. Scroll to Clear cache
h. Clear Cache
i. Hit OK
j. Select Clear History
k. Select OK.
l. Scroll to Clear all Cookie data
m. Select OK.

Do not know how this is supposed to help, but I guess they gave it a try? lol

Lunacy1134

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Desmock, Just chill....

This is VM's "TIP" for us to get our 3G working again as it is on their facebook page...

27528_114300980526_3761_q.jpg

Virgin Mobile USA
Hey guys, we've noticed some of you have been experiencing 3G web issues on your Virgin Mobile Optimus V phones. Below are some troubleshooting tips on how to reset your phone so you'll be good as new. If you need more assistance, email our social care team at VMUsocialcare@sprint.com.

1. Verify that Data services are enabled on the device (For LG OptimusV only)
a. From home screen
b. Hit Menu button
c. Select settings
d. Select Wireless and Networks
e. Select Mobile Networks
f. Enable Mobile networks.
g. Hit home screen
h. Try and browse the web.

3. When you're connecting to the web, what URL appears on address bar?
a. If it?s something other than Prepaid Cell Phone Service and Pay as You Go | Virgin Mobile or Virgin Wap then: (Works for both Samsung Intercept and LG OptimusV)
b. From the home screen
c. Select the web browser
d. From within the browser select the menu button
e. Select More
f. Select Settings
g. Scroll to Clear cache
h. Clear Cache
i. Hit OK
j. Select Clear History
k. Select OK.
l. Scroll to Clear all Cookie data
m. Select OK.

Do not know how this is supposed to help, but I guess they gave it a try? lol

This does nothing to address the problem. They are telling you to clear browser cookies.

androidsamurai

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
This does nothing to address the problem. They are telling you to clear browser cookies.

Exactly....

Do they think that even the "average" android user is going to fall for this? Don't get me wrong here, but I have had a good couple of yrs with VM before the android devices rolled out. Upgraded my Rumor 2 Touch for the Intercept and that for the Optimus...

Everybody saying "You get what you pay for".... Seriously? We will see if they can get their infrastructure issues resolved and if not, in a few weeks I guess it's back to Verizon for me....

chrissurra

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly data was down to upgrade my data is faster today and no drops.

“Customers with 3G-capable cellphones and modems will find that they can now benefit from higher data speeds following the upgrade of Virgin Mobile’s underlying cellular network,” Virgin Mobile says in a statement.

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly data was down to upgrade my data is faster today and no drops.

?Customers with 3G-capable cellphones and modems will find that they can now benefit from higher data speeds following the upgrade of Virgin Mobile?s underlying cellular network,? Virgin Mobile says in a statement.

Eh, I saw that news story over a month ago:

Virgin Mobile turns on 3G tap | TechCentral

Where did you see that quote? That's the same quote from Feb 16th, 2011...

androidsamurai

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I will confirm that here in Daytona Beach the 3G speeds are MUCH better. Before the outtage I got no higher than 500kbps down and 50kbps up, but look at the screens I just took. By the way, data is still dropping out for me...

f27ty0.jpg

Sent from my LG Optimus V using tapatalk pro.

aldamon

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Isn't is just as important at this point to figure out why Android doesn't notice that the connection has dropped? No notification from Android. No notification from GMail push. Nothing. Just a useless 3G icon. This problem wouldn't be as bad if I knew when the connection dropped.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
A good app for someone to make (*wink wink*), would be one that monitors the wifi and/or G3 and runs certain actions if connectivity is lost to, for example, google.com. Something like the stay alive script in dd-wrt. It can toggle the 3G and other apps that need it after a connection loss. I've noticed that sipdroid does not like the handoff from wifi to 3G. There is a good min or two where it is confused. I can manually cause it to reconnect by opening the program interface for a second.

Dr.Hax

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
So according to the VM coverage map, where im normally at is pretty much 100% covered. Sometimes at work (metal roofing, concrete walls) i lose signal. This also happens at a friend's house where 3g kinda sucks (even for them on ATT). However whats confusing is that when i lose data and webpages and apps wont load anymore, if i toggle airplane mode (at least once, sometimes more than once) i can get the data connection back. Also, the 3g symbol and the arrows never go away, even when i lose data access the symbol (and activity) remain.

What throws me off is that when i do get the connection back in those locations, i get a decent speed. 600kb/s this last time i got it back. So its not like i have a really weak signal thats getting poor speed/bandwidth. What gives?

currently OC'd to 806mhz stable, Stock VM Rom+ Xionia kernel (revolution red).

I have the same setup and the same problem :(

xtravbx#CB

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, please keep the speed posts to another thread.

This is a serious and annoying issue. I cycle in and out of airplane mode probably 3-5 times a day to keep my connection going.

unkuser

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
A good app for someone to make (*wink wink*), would be one that monitors the wifi and/or G3 and runs certain actions if connectivity is lost to, for example, google.com. Something like the stay alive script in dd-wrt. It can toggle the 3G and other apps that need it after a connection loss. I've noticed that sipdroid does not like the handoff from wifi to 3G. There is a good min or two where it is confused. I can manually cause it to reconnect by opening the program interface for a second.

I thought about this too. Not sure how hard it would be to write a script to do this. Never did any programming for android. It would be something like this. (Using Gscript)

1.-If data is not enabled or airplane mode --> exit (Dont know how to check for the state of the phone).

**If the phone cannot ping 8.8.8.8 then restart mobile network.***
--------------------------------------------------------
if ping -c 1 8.8.8.8 |busybox grep -q '1 received'
then
echo "Mobile Network is working"
echo "Mobile Network is working"
exit
else
echo "Disabling Mobile Network Now"
svc data disable
echo "Waiting for 5 seconds"
sleep 5
echo "Enabling Mobile Network Now"
svc data enable
fi
--------------------------------------------------------

Do this every 5 minutes?? Well the script seems to be working fine. I need to wait for an outage now to see if data works. But issuing the commands svc data disable/enable restarts mobile network. :)

Last edited:

aldamon

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

An app like this already exists but I didn't have any luck with it in Froyo:

Connection State Notifier

Associated Android Forum Thread

Could you try it and see if it works for you? I could have set it up wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC