Constantly losing data connection

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
So according to the VM coverage map, where im normally at is pretty much 100% covered. Sometimes at work (metal roofing, concrete walls) i lose signal. This also happens at a friend's house where 3g kinda sucks (even for them on ATT). However whats confusing is that when i lose data and webpages and apps wont load anymore, if i toggle airplane mode (at least once, sometimes more than once) i can get the data connection back. Also, the 3g symbol and the arrows never go away, even when i lose data access the symbol (and activity) remain.

What throws me off is that when i do get the connection back in those locations, i get a decent speed. 600kb/s this last time i got it back. So its not like i have a really weak signal thats getting poor speed/bandwidth. What gives?

currently OC'd to 806mhz stable, Stock VM Rom+ Xionia kernel (revolution red).

travisbickle

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This happens to me too on occasion. I haven't found a quick way to tell if it's not working besides opening up a browser window becasue the 3g stays there. I'm considering going back to stock if it starts happening more frequently.

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
i see. So you think its a ROM/Kernel issue?

Right now i lost the data again and this time i went into Mobile Networks (from wireless and network settings) and toggled "data enabled" and turned 3g off then turned it back on, and skyfire came up just fine again. @_@

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
If you have anything installed to conserve battery life (or used the dial system to change connection from 3g to 1x), that is likely your issue.

For some reason, once changed, the radio simply isn't reconnecting to 3g when a signal is lost, nor is it kicking down to 1x. Toggling it off then back on resets it.

I had the same thing happen and it was driving me nuts, especially since I had backup the setting and was moving it from rom to rom without knowing. Also, sometimes uninstalling it requires a restart to remove the code, in some cases it requires a wipe, but it seems to be caused by messing with those settings.

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
All i have is y5 battery saver to toggle my wifi on and off when im in an area of a remembered WiFi connection. However, the locations where this stuff happens (work, mostly) does not have a remembered wifi connection. I dont connect to wifi at work so theres no reason for y5 to mess with my wifi here. At my friend's place where this happens at first his wifi wasnt remembered in my phone and when the connection went down, i switched to his wifi.

bn

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
same problem

I'm having this problem too. Once in a while data connection goes down and the only thing that helps me is toggling data off and back on. Sadly, this has nothing to do with custom ROMs. I had stock ROM for 2 weeks (prior to switching to custom one) and experienced the same behavior.

bjones72751

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Same here, except mine goes out several times a day and toggling data rarely works. I emailed them and what they said to do (which seems to work for a while) is pull battery and hold power for 15 sec with batt out, then boot up. No email back yet as to actually fix it.

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
After toggling data earlier (not airplane mode) my issue seems to have gone away. But we'll see how long this lasts. Keep em coming guys, maybe this thread will get big enough to the point where a VM rep might see it (or get pointed to it) to have the issue move along further.

bman123

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I didn't start having this problem until I overclocked my cpu , I have the cpu set low when the screen is off so pandora constantly cuts off

adeelmysore

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
The data issue was with VM and not the phone I think. I had the same issues last week and called to complain the rep said that they were experiencing data issues with android phones and were working on it. Yesterday i got a text from them to reboot my phone and have not had issues since then.

anon(141613)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
All i have is y5 battery saver to toggle my wifi on and off when im in an area of a remembered WiFi connection. However, the locations where this stuff happens (work, mostly) does not have a remembered wifi connection. I dont connect to wifi at work so theres no reason for y5 to mess with my wifi here. At my friend's place where this happens at first his wifi wasnt remembered in my phone and when the connection went down, i switched to his wifi.

Uninstall, or disable, the battery saver app and see what happens. A lot of users in other forums are reporting issues with battery saver apps disabling 3G connections when they kick in. I ran into this issue with Green Power Free yesterday when using the WiFi Hotspot...every time the phone's screen went blank, the HotSpot was disabled, and the only way around it was to leave the phone's screen on all the time.

bjones72751

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a battery saver app on mine. It did this both when the phone was stock and rooted and oc'ed. I haven't gotten any text to rebbot my phone, but I'm sure if they're working on it it'll be done regionally. I had the same problem with the intercept though, so I'm sure its a mess on they're end.

vee

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
are battery saver apps even that useful? Say I already have my brightness down, and I keep wi-fi and 3g off unless i use them, what's the real point of a battery saver app...?

duane_black

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I dont really have much else to add that has not already been said here. I am also experiencing this issue. I was convinced it had something to do with GPS functionality as it would seem to happen with Google Latitude and the Navigation app until it happened when GPS had been disabled on my phone.

This issue has occurred when my phone was stock and also OC'd with a custom ROM. I also have to restart the data connection when this occurs. The phone seems completely oblivious that it has no data connection. 3G icon appears and all. Very frustrating.

On my phone it is very easy to reproduce but I still can't figure any rhyme or reason to it.

Start at my home in San Ramon, Ca. Verify the phone has a data connection.

Set phone on seat of car.

Drive to Frys Electronics in Fremont, Ca. Verify the phone has a data connection. ( it will not )

This occurs going back as well. Every single time.

Restart the data connection via airplane mode or via settings | wireless & network settings | mobile networks | cycle data connection off, then on.

Problem fixed ( until next time )

I did observe one time the phone cycling from 3g to 1x multiple times. It had no data connection while it was doing this This occurred back and forth every few seconds. I cycled the data setting via the method above and it connected to the 3g network and stayed connected. This was in San Leandro, Ca. Not exactly a cell dead area.

I realize this isn't very helpful but it's all I got.

ETA - Phone has no battery save apps what so ever. I get the feeling it has something to do with " handoff " but I am not a expert in these matters. My issue only occurs when traveling.

Last edited:

mjayp99

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I dont really have much else to add that has not already been said here. I am also experiencing this issue. I was convinced it had something to do with GPS functionality as it would seem to happen with Google Latitude and the Navigation app until it happened when GPS had been disabled on my phone.

This issue has occurred when my phone was stock and also OC'd with a custom ROM. I also have to restart the data connection when this occurs. The phone seems completely oblivious that it has no data connection. 3G icon appears and all. Very frustrating.

On my phone it is very easy to reproduce but I still can't figure any rhyme or reason to it.

Start at my home in San Ramon, Ca. Verify the phone has a data connection.

Set phone on seat of car.

Drive to Frys Electronics in Fremont, Ca. Verify the phone has a data connection. ( it will not )

This occurs going back as well. Every single time.

Restart the data connection via airplane mode or via settings | wireless & network settings | mobile networks | cycle data connection off, then on.

Problem fixed ( until next time )

I did observe one time the phone cycling from 3g to 1x multiple times. It had no data connection while it was doing this This occurred back and forth every few seconds. I cycled the data setting via the method above and it connected to the 3g network and stayed connected. This was in San Leandro, Ca. Not exactly a cell dead area.

I realize this isn't very helpful but it's all I got.

ETA - Phone has no battery save apps what so ever. I get the feeling it has something to do with " handoff " but I am not a expert in these matters. My issue only occurs when traveling.
I am having this exact same issue.

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
are battery saver apps even that useful? Say I already have my brightness down, and I keep wi-fi and 3g off unless i use them, what's the real point of a battery saver app...?

No point for users like you. Its for users who keep WiFi on (or are too lazy to switch it on to connect to networks), or keep GPS on, or keep 3g on, or any combination of all that.

I for one will never turn 3g off. I need it lol. I went from Verizon to Metro PCS on my Eris. Loved it but after 5 months i was tired of being limited to 1x so i jumped ship because virgin has 3g.

I havnt had any data loss issues yet this last day or two but when i go back to work tomorrow, we'll see what happens.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
So far I have nailed down 3 things happening... (yes, I posted this in a few places to help people with the problem, and yes, I experienced all 3)

1. Phone loses activation. This is rare and resetting your connection does not fix it, try the Activate button. I had a bad rom flash do this to me, but others have had it at random.

2. 3g drops due to loss of connection and using an app or setting to increase battery. There is speculation that the menu is labeled wrong on our phones, creating problems. personally, I wiped and got rid of all connection manager type of stuff and leave it stock, it works fine. Fix the other things robbing your battery like Twidroid and Gallery running in the background.

3. The browser.
Dolphin mini has been reported to have connection issues, and I confirmed last night that HD has the same problem. Everything worked on the phone, except for it. I reset data, and it came to life. Do NOT use Dolphin to check for connectivity. If it's your default browser, change the home page to a more reliable site like Google or Yahoo, it may help at least some.

demonknightdk

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I swear i put a reply to this thread earlier today... this happens on both my S and V optimus. with stock and custom ROMs. I don't think its network issues I think its sprint persecuting heavy data use phones. (I.E. Android) I'd like to know if black berry users are experiencing these same issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995