Apps not effective without Wifi

jabailo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm finding that unless I have a Wifi connection, or am outdoors, my Android apps are not very effective.

For example, FourSquare, which I am now loving to use, just sits there and spins its progress meters. Often the signal strength is low but the 3G icon appears none the less. Most of the time the app doesn't run at all, even if wait a long time.

I'm mostly using my phone in the 98030 zipcode and also South Seattle.

Similar experiences?

mmmark111

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm finding that unless I have a Wifi connection, or am outdoors, my Android apps are not very effective.

For example, FourSquare, which I am now loving to use, just sits there and spins its progress meters. Often the signal strength is low but the 3G icon appears none the less. Most of the time the app doesn't run at all, even if wait a long time.

I'm mostly using my phone in the 98030 zipcode and also South Seattle.

Similar experiences?

Apps like FourSquare usually use a GPS signal to determine your location. It's more accurate than using your wireless connection. The downside, you need a clear view of the sky.

jabailo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
on my Optimus V, If i turn off Wi-Fi after using it for ANy length of time, the phone APPEARS to be connected to 3G but apps and the browser are either very very slow to pull data or they appear to be busy and never actually retrieve data.

I am starting to see that...Seems like Wifi is better than 3G if available, but as you say, if its not, it interferes with just using 3G by itself.