Updating Swype on Optimus V

rubejb

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
So I just read that the Swype beta was updated. However, since the Optimus came with Swype pre-installed I'm wondering if I should update or leave it as is?

I'm in the beta (or is it open by now?) so I can download the update. Should I?

Thanks.

dan6681

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So I just read that the Swype beta was updated. However, since the Optimus came with Swype pre-installed I'm wondering if I should update or leave it as is?

I'm in the beta (or is it open by now?) so I can download the update. Should I?

Thanks.

You have to root your device.

Then there are directions here that seem to be working for people.

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
This doesn't make any sense. We can update other pre-installed apps from the Market just fine (for example WHERE was just recently updated). Seems like an issue SWYPE needs to address, not Virgin.

Lunacy1134

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
This doesn't make any sense. We can update other pre-installed apps from the Market just fine (for example WHERE was just recently updated). Seems like an issue SWYPE needs to address, not Virgin.

I believe the issue is that the Beta version isn't in the market so you won't see the update.

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the latest asopmod/cmod7 (Gingerbread) I just got the newest beta that's back open personally though I like the Gingerbread keyboard better than any other the keys are smaller and more spaced which has been a lot better from my experience between the stock froyo keyboard and this :)

Godbilla

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I have my phone rooted.. and it's pretty simple. Get Titanium backup.. if you want make a backup, I didn't. Uninstall Swype through Titanium, then install the updated beta. Bam, and no more annoying window every single time you hit a word that's the one next down on the list, woo!

Last edited:

rubejb

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm rooted as well, so install should be easy, but I had a thought. I know the old Swype beta had a time limit, and after it expired you had to update or it wouldn't work.

Is this still the case with the beta? If so, I'd rather just stick with the preinstalled version.

humanakeo

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
it didnt say we had a time limit..... but instead of removing the old swype off your phone just rename it instead of deleting so youd have it just in case

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
it didnt say we had a time limit..... but instead of removing the old swype off your phone just rename it instead of deleting so youd have it just in case

How do you do that? And would that mean you can choose between both versions of Swype from the Input Method menu?

investor22

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Talking about that annoying window...you can turn it off in the settings or make it appear less often.

Customize whether Swype displays the Word Choice window by setting the 'Word Choice Window' slider in Swype Advanced Settings.

• To see the Word Choice Window less frequently, set the slider towards the left.
  • If you are very distracted by the Word Choice window popping up, you can set the slider all the way to the left so that the Word Choice Window will never be shown automatically.
  • To see the Word Choice Window more frequently, if you prefer to select the correct word right away as each word is entered, set the slider further towards the right.
    Try the default setting ? you will find that the Word Choice Window usually pops up when you need it to. Remember that even when the Word Choice Window pops up, if you start Swyping a word, the window will be dismissed and the default word (at the top) will be output.

Word Choice window

Reactions: ykameron

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Talking about that annoying window...you can turn it off in the settings or make it appear less often.

Customize whether Swype displays the Word Choice window by setting the 'Word Choice Window' slider in Swype Advanced Settings.

• To see the Word Choice Window less frequently, set the slider towards the left.
  • If you are very distracted by the Word Choice window popping up, you can set the slider all the way to the left so that the Word Choice Window will never be shown automatically.
  • To see the Word Choice Window more frequently, if you prefer to select the correct word right away as each word is entered, set the slider further towards the right.
    Try the default setting ? you will find that the Word Choice Window usually pops up when you need it to. Remember that even when the Word Choice Window pops up, if you start Swyping a word, the window will be dismissed and the default word (at the top) will be output.

Word Choice window
With this knowledge, is it worth upgrading to Swype beta still? Is there any noticeable difference in how well it guesses words?

denshigomi

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Godbilla was referring to the "Word Choice Window". I believe he was referring to the "Hidden Word Tip" popup. (That's the window that drives me crazy!)
In the version of Swype that is installed on the Optimus V, the "Hidden Word Tip" popup cannot be disabled. But the Swype Beta maintenance update on 3/10/2011 added a feature to only display that popup once.
http://beta.swype.com/ said:
Major bug fixes, including setting the "Hidden Word Tip" popup to only appear once per installation, and allowing contact names to be permanently removed from the user dictionary

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
With this knowledge, is it worth upgrading to Swype beta still? Is there any noticeable difference in how well it guesses words?

Guesses words pretty good. The thing is, I found the stock version of Swype on the Optimus V to deteriorate drastically. After rooting my phone, uninstalling it, signing up for the beta and installing the beta version, bugs are fixed and it seems to be somewhat more accurate. Test it out.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
You can add words to the dictionary to help it guess more accurately.
For me "is" often became "ios", but putting is in the dictionary corrected it's preference.

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I uninstalled the stock Swype thru Titanium Backup and installed the latest Swype beta last night. This morning, I was greeted with the message:
Sorry! The application Swype (process com.swype.android.inputmethod) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Force close

Hopefully this won't be a common occurance or it will be annoying. iHas this happened to anyone else's LG Optimus V with the Swype beta?

EDIT: I power-cycled my phone and I started getting that error message repeatedly. I'm following the instructions in this thread to see if that will resolve the issue: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-restore-question-titanium-backup-z4root.html

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I uninstalled the stock Swype thru Titanium Backup and installed the latest Swype beta last night. This morning, I was greeted with the message:

Hopefully this won't be a common occurance or it will be annoying. iHas this happened to anyone else's LG Optimus V with the Swype beta?

I got the same message. After taking the advice from a fellow from the Swype forums, I got it working. All I did was reinstall the newest version. Not sure why, but it worked for me and a few other folks. Make sure you uninstall it, then reinstall. Should work fine after that.

SagaciousB

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the latest asopmod/cmod7 (Gingerbread) I just got the newest beta that's back open personally though I like the Gingerbread keyboard better than any other the keys are smaller and more spaced which has been a lot better from my experience between the stock froyo keyboard and this :)
Thanks So much! I was getting so infuriated with that damn "hidden word" tip I wanted to throw the phone at the wall at times. I don't know why LG hasn't updated the version of Swype included with the phone. At least there is finally a workaround.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks So much! I was getting so infuriated with that damn "hidden word" tip I wanted to throw the phone at the wall at times. I don't know why LG hasn't updated the version of Swype included with the phone. At least there is finally a workaround.

as far as I've read around, LG hasn't updated squat for the VM optimus. The sprint version has had several firmware updates, though.

I tried removing the stock swype in froyo and downloading the beta, but it refused to install. Just as well, I like gingerbread better anyway.
too bad about the word choice window not being optional in swype beta 3, I sure don't like being unable to turn it off. other than that, I haven't noticed much difference in the beta versions.
I'm about to roll back to the 2.x beta I downloaded last, from my nandroid backup, to get rid of the extra screen-blocking popup for word choice.
the beta 3 still pops up the hidden word tip at me, as well. ugh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox