What are these dots on my Optimus V?

sebdina

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I was playing with my phone one day when the sun shined on my phone and these 2 black dots appeared. These are located in the top left corner of the Optimus V. I have no idea what these are nor what they do. First I thought they were LED lights but I guess not. Anyone know? Thanks.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Proximity sensor. It turns the screen off when you put the phone to your face. My guess is that one of the holes is an IR led while the other is an IR sensor. When your face reflects back the light, the screen turns off during calls.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
lol, I would say proximity sensor for 1 hole, and the other hole is a light meter to tell how bright/dim it is outside.

It is definitely an IR LED. What do you think the proximity sensor is sensing? You can verify by looking at the dot with a digital camera while making a call. Digital cameras can see into the infrared much better than the human eye. It should be blinking like mad.

This might actually be a way of diagnosing the problem with the CM7 and the proximity sensor. Lets see if the the LED is blinking consistently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49