Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LG Optimus V: How To Highlight-Copy-Paste Text & Find In Page With Browser

I use the Blackberry Bold 9000 on AT&T. I am considering the LG Optimus V on Virgin Mobile, as the $25 plan really attracts me & I've been pondering an Android device. I'm highly used to physical keyboards, therefore I was considering the Samsung Intercept but I've been hearing so much griping about its lag, and so much praise for the LG Optimus V, that I'm pondering it.

However, I am a "business" type of user somewhat, insomuch that messaging and email are a big deal, mainly with how I type out a lot. I also use the memos a lot. I copy & paste content from the web to a text (or an email to myself) a lot. I do that sort of thing MUCH more than multimedia or gaming.

Hence, I'm real used to how the Blackberry highlights text for copying & pasting and I can do it very easily. My question is: how is copy & paste in the Android environment, and especially on an all-touch device like the LG Optimus V? Where is a good "how to" site that spells out basics here--how to highlight text, how to navigate cursor placement for backing up & fixing a typo (again I'm real used to using the trackball for that), and how to copy & paste?

Also, with the stock WebKit browser, does it have "find in page?" (I use that a LOT.) If not, would other browsers, like (say) Opera Mini or Firefox Mobile Beta (or others) have it?

Actually, you are better off with a blackberry for business. Android doesn't have the polish and functionality you are looking for, at least in the Optimus V. I haven't figured out how to copy from the native browser if it is possible at all. You'll be frustrated when editing documents too because to move around the text you'll have to have laser like precision in your tapping to put the cursor where you want or you'll have to press 3-4 alt keys to access a directional pad.
    Banned

ROM
    RodimusROM v1.2.2

xSolid, perhaps something a bit more helpful would be in order? Mmarz is right though, Larry. While it is possible to copy and paste and such, it's a pain in the rear end. It's difficult to copy and paste precisely, it takes me about 10 tries in the native browser (Granted I haven't tried any other browsers, yet).

The Intercept might have better functionality in that regard, since it has a keyboard and arrow buttons and all that, but as for performance... it's really hit and miss. If you don't want a laggy Intercept, you have to root it and overclock it, then it wont be so bad, in fact it overclocks slightly better than the Optimus V, getting about 7 more MFlops than the Optimus V.

But business wise, while smart phones can play game, it's more like Softball vs Baseball. I do believe I saw a Blackberry for sale on Virgin Mobile's website...

BlackBerry Curve 8530 Smartphone

Granted, it IS $10 more a month for a special BlackBerry only plan for your data and what not, but still, $35 does blow most other BlackBerry plans out of the water.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

(mmarz) I do hear you. I do think sometimes a Blackberry may be better for me, I'm just kicking around the idea since, with all the apps available for Android, you'd figure that my needs would be met ultimately.

To wit: I was researching the topic here& learned of this app called "Arrows Keyboard for Android" (link Arrows Keyboard for Android | AppBrain.com) which apparently places a 4-way keypad on the virtual keyboard.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 1.5E

Quote Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
    (mmarz) I do hear you. I do think sometimes a Blackberry may be better for me, I'm just kicking around the idea since, with all the apps available for Android, you'd figure that my needs would be met ultimately.

To wit: I was researching the topic here& learned of this app called "Arrows Keyboard for Android" (link Arrows Keyboard for Android | AppBrain.com) which apparently places a 4-way keypad on the virtual keyboard.
    If you use Swype keyboard I believe you can drag your finger from the Swype key to the Sym key and get arrow keys and more.

Quote Originally Posted by xabbott View Post
    If you use Swype keyboard I believe you can drag your finger from the Swype key to the Sym key and get arrow keys and more.
    I've had an Android phone for 2 years now and never knew that. See, always learning something new. Just gave it a try and that is super neato. (yes I realize I'm a geek)

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

Larry I use the cm7 port from zefie.
    The cm7 browser has copy paste and for the most part is not bad.
    However as mentioned above the ability to pinpoint where you want it is a tad bit harder. BUT I do know long pressing the screen gets many options.

If you have the extra cash I suggest grabbing a phone and trying it out. In the long run you might decide you like the android system better and get a phone from att or even better decide to keep the optimus on VM and save yourself tons of money.

Im sure if you end up not liking the optimus there are people here that would buy it from ya. For the right price that is.