Help! I'm Bricked and I don't know what to do!

deaver_92

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I unwittingly bricked my LG Optimus V by doing a factory reset from the privacy menu. I then proceeded to wipe my phone via custom recovery, since that's all I could access. I tried loading a new ROM to no avail. I found a post about a custom recovery that would solve boot looping so I installed it. Now I can't even get into custom recovery.

First it shows the silver LG splash screen, then (whether I press home, vol-down, power or not) goes to a screen that posts these lines:

Android System Recovery...

DO NOT PULL OUT THE BATTERY!!

Formatting DATA:...
Formatting CACHE:...
factory reset...
Rebooting...

Then it reboots to the silver LG splash screen and then to the white LG splash screen with the LG logo. Then it just sits there. I've left it there over night with no change.

I've tried a couple different things to include ROMtools (flashed a new recovery and ROM - no change), KDZ (can't find the right firmware file), and KP500 in Emergency Mode (keeps failing). Nothing has worked.

Is my phone completely gone or is there at least a small glimmer of light?

Thanks for any help!

deaver_92

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I must be using the wrong search terms then because I've been looking for the past two days and I haven't seen any resolutions for the Optimus V where you can't get into the recovery screen. Using methods for the Optimus S doesn't work.

If you would be so kind as to point me in the direction of a post that has a resolution for this problem I would really appreciate it.

intekmdma

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you need to clear the cache and run the system format zip. Look at the CM7 Rom guide and follow the first few steps.

h t t p ://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/62730-zefies-cm7-optimus-v-current-03012011-a.html
of course then push rom as necessary

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
This has been discussed and resolved many times in the forum. Use the forum search tool to find your answers.

Just a small tip to everyone...

If you do this over and over, when you search you will end up with 50,000 results saying use the search, and the person has to wade through 50,000 results to find that one post that actually has the information.

Due to the nature of search engines, if you are going to respond, at least help, otherwise you are only making the problem worse.

deaver_92

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Just a small tip to everyone...

If you do this over and over, when you search you will end up with 50,000 results saying use the search, and the person has to wade through 50,000 results to find that one post that actually has the information.

Due to the nature of search engines, if you are going to respond, at least help, otherwise you are only making the problem worse.

I would have to agree. Anyway I gave up. I was still within the return period of the phone so I just exchanged it. Now I know what not to do...

deaver_92

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
So what did you tell them is the reason for return?

I just showed them what the phone was doing and told them that it had stopped receiving text messages and that phone calls were sporadic so I formatted via the privacy menu. After that the phone wouldn't turn on. They were like, "Huh. Weird. We'll just get you a new one since you're still in your 30 day window." I just said, "Ok."

Just a heads up, I did talk to an LG customer service rep and he verified that modding the firmware does void the warranty. Of course if you're able to flash back to stock you shouldn't have a problem...:)

Here's the great thing about getting this new phone: I put CM7 on it and it runs faster! I can also dial up the cpu a lot higher. On my old one it would restart every now and then if I got up to 806 mHz. I can get this one up to 844 mHz no problem! The only thing that has happened since I put it there is Quadrant Standard force closed while I was doing a benchtest. It only happened once, though, so I'm thinking it was just a random glitch.

Anyway thank you to all who gave input. I think my phone was just running on some last-string code or something so I doubt there was anything I could do. I was just trying to avoid having to buy a new one.

hthphillips

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
You have deleted your ROM and the recovery will not work, I have done this and could not figure out what the hell is going on. Reset to factory defaults, wipe all data, wipe all cache, find a ROM, Load it to the SD via your PC, Flash from SD with custom ROM then, Should work.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I just showed them what the phone was doing and told them that it had stopped receiving text messages and that phone calls were sporadic so I formatted via the privacy menu. After that the phone wouldn't turn on. They were like, "Huh. Weird. We'll just get you a new one since you're still in your 30 day window." I just said, "Ok."

Just a heads up, I did talk to an LG customer service rep and he verified that modding the firmware does void the warranty. Of course if you're able to flash back to stock you shouldn't have a problem...:)

Here's the great thing about getting this new phone: I put CM7 on it and it runs faster! I can also dial up the cpu a lot higher. On my old one it would restart every now and then if I got up to 806 mHz. I can get this one up to 844 mHz no problem! The only thing that has happened since I put it there is Quadrant Standard force closed while I was doing a benchtest. It only happened once, though, so I'm thinking it was just a random glitch.

Anyway thank you to all who gave input. I think my phone was just running on some last-string code or something so I doubt there was anything I could do. I was just trying to avoid having to buy a new one.

Until the cat is let out of the bag I cant quote the source, but this is why we are getting locked bootloaders on the high end phones.

This is going to come off as me being a elitist ******* and I don't mean it to but the only way to make the point is from that point of view.

Its been brought to light that one of the biggest and most used ways to root phones is via the one click methods. With all of these floating around it means just any person can root their phone. The downfall to that is just any moron with a computer can attempt to root and flash roms. The thing is most of the people that brick a phone do is not read directions and end of doing s bonehead move. Then after trying to get things fixed and nobody either being willing or the willing run out of ideas they take the phone back and exchange it under the 30 day rule.

Now the Carriers are pissed cause they are sending phones back to the manufacturers and then receiving a email saying 20 of the 25 phones we received were simply broken by the user trying to flash a custom rom or root the phone and had no clue how to fix it. This is info coming from within high levels of a certain manufacturer. And its not just them all manufacturers are going to be locking down bootloaders and digi-signing so its hard/impossible to root and install custom roms.

To the OP I'm not directing this at you just saying in general when things like this happen. People shouldn't be rooting and flashing custom roms unless they take the time to research and read. Things happen even to the pro's one of the major players in the DX development has three completely bricked DX's. But he didn't try to return them and play dumb. If you break the phone own up and don't return it and play dumb. If you cant afford to replace the phone if you brick it and have no idea wtf your doing then DONT ATTEMPT TO ROOT AND/OR FLASH A ROM.

/end rant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18