Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New user & keep running into "storage space running low"

So i'm new to droids and I keep having trouble with the internal storage. I haven't downloaded that many apps but I keep getting the warning, despite transferring every app I can to the sd. So is the internal RAM That small? What do I do to keep my phone working? There must be a workaround for this as the storage runs out so quickly.
    Thanks to all for any help...
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    Harmonia 3

All of the workarounds require you to root your phone.

Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.

Do a bit of reading here on "link2sd" and rooting and all your issues will go away~

Sent from my Optimus V vai Tapatalk
    Maybe the main purpose your alive is to serve as a warning to others~
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the info. I've read a little about rooting but before I go any further, is rooting possible using a Mac? My computers are macs and wondering if there is a way to root, either directly or via some software?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oversteer View Post
    Thanks for the info. I've read a little about rooting but before I go any further, is rooting possible using a Mac? My computers are macs and wondering if there is a way to root, either directly or via some software?

Thanks
    It should be fine. Just install the Android SDK and then run a root exploit in ADB.

Do you have your music and everything else on your SD card?

I am aware that i have a lot less storage on the internal memory of this phone than I did on my incredible, but i still have 30 or so apps on here, a handful on SD, and space to spare.

Maybe one/some is generating a ton of data, images, maps, something?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by lizm View Post
    Do you have your music and everything else on your SD card?

I am aware that i have a lot less storage on the internal memory of this phone than I did on my incredible, but i still have 30 or so apps on here, a handful on SD, and space to spare.

Maybe one/some is generating a ton of data, images, maps, something?
    it's not the sd card--it's the phones internal storage. sd card has tons of space left and now i've even installed an 8 GB card. also, i've moved everything possible to the sd card but still i'm on the edge.

gonna be rooting soon.

so if i understand this correctly, once rooted, my phone will use a partition on the sd card as internal storage? if this is correct, how much of my 8 GB card should i partition for the ROM or internal storage?
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

No, rooting will only give you the permissions to make any changes you want.

Once rooted, you download app2sd from the market, and it will give you the option to install apps to the SDcard.

Remember, if an app has a widget, you have to leave it on the phone's internal memory to be able to use the widget. You can still use the app regardless of where it's stored, but widgets must be on internal storage.

Something I did recently was follow this guide:
    Force apps to move to the SD card on Froyo AndroidBoss
    There are some explained across the web as well and probably on this forum that might be easier explained for you, I looked at a few but they all basically have the same method. It allows you to force more to install on the Sd and move some that won't. You can reverse it and it doesn't require a root.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

A couple things:

1) Is there a way to move the storage folders to the sd, as in all the emails, contacts, texts, etc? They appear to be causing trouble even though they are relatively small.

2) Also, I am unique to most of this because I use macs for my computers and have limited knowledge of pc basics, and of course most of the rooting instructions assume pc computers. So is anyone else using apple computers to root? I know it's possible but the process it's different and I can't find step by step instructions.

Thanks

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

Help rooting via a mac I have no clue.

However once you do dont bother with the apps that move things to your sdcard.

Check this out, data2ext it will create a partition on your sdcard and after running the script and adb commands move everything to the sd card. BUT it makes the phone think its still the internal storage therefor apps with widgets will still work.

I created the biggest partition available which was 1gb and I dont foresee me filling that anytime soon.

ROM
    Stock V, CM7 Nightly Nook

Hey,

What worked for me without partitioning etc was to use Move2SD enabler paired with App2SD Pro. I have 50+ MB on my internal memory.

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

Quote Originally Posted by zires View Post
    Hey,

What worked for me without partitioning etc was to use Move2SD enabler paired with App2SD Pro. I have 50+ MB on my internal memory.
    Thats awesome but think about having 900mb of free space..

ROM

900mb of free space where?

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

900mb of free space where?
    follow the guide I linked to.
    Read it several times before jumping in.

What it does is create the partition on your sd card and then trick the phone into thinking its actually the built in phone memory.

my phone is fixed without having to root the phone.
    YI was constantly getting the low space error. subsequently some apps wouldn't install. I hard reset the phone and formatted the sd card. I have plenty of space now and no error messages. between app brain and the market I got everything back but it took a while
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

I just ran into the same prob. I found lots of cashe files, old data files, and stuff leftover from apps I uninstalled. Get a file manager, I use Adobe, and purge them. I was astonished by how much memory was being taken. Hope that helps.

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

Quote Originally Posted by 1158pm View Post
    I just ran into the same prob. I found lots of cashe files, old data files, and stuff leftover from apps I uninstalled. Get a file manager, I use Adobe, and purge them. I was astonished by how much memory was being taken. Hope that helps.
    Ive noticed on my sdcard if a app creates a folder the folder doesnt get deleted off the sdcard. Kinda pisses me off because you should get the option to completely remove all data when uninstalling apps.

ROM

@Eollie,

Have you tried sd maid? Free on the android market. For rooted phones.

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

@Eollie,

Have you tried sd maid? Free on the android market. For rooted phones.
    Ive seen those type of apps. Normally I just delete them via mounting to my pc and double checking them before deleting.

It would be nice if app devs could/would code in that if the application is removed so is the folder it created.

ROM
    Stock + Xionia010

Yes, you can move items in /data/data to an ext partition as well as all the apps and their symbol cache files. I wrotea thread about it on this forum. I have made a script to move items in /data/data very easily. Once I have added some 'safety' features I will release it

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

I second that motion. Devs please take this into consideration. It would be a great help to us all.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    Harmonia 3

Quote Originally Posted by Delphis View Post
    Yes, you can move items in /data/data to an ext partition as well as all the apps and their symbol cache files. I wrotea thread about it on this forum. I have made a script to move items in /data/data very easily. Once I have added some 'safety' features I will release it
    Exactly why you haven't seen this in roms yet.
    The potential for a user messing it up is quite high. It's fine for those who know what they are doing somewhat, but look around at how many have trouble with recoveries and rooting. It's just a huge amount of support most don't want to deal with.

Most of us do this in our spare time, just fooling around. You have no idea the number of requests for special builds and features we get, not to mention pm's asking for help. I don't want to be responsible for someone wiping out their entire phone. Or worse, bricking it due to a bad partition. Mmmark111 already bricked his by messing with partitions, now imagine a noob trying to do something like he was doing.

If you want something like that, great, but I already looked into it for Aphrodite and from everything I have seen, there is no way I would implement that at rom level.IF it can be done more safely and easily, yes I would give it a go, but it woudl have to be dead simple and reliable as all heck.

Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    Exactly why you haven't seen this in roms yet.
    The potential for a user messing it up is quite high. It's fine for those who know what they are doing somewhat, but look around at how many have trouble with recoveries and rooting. It's just a huge amount of support most don't want to deal with.

Most of us do this in our spare time, just fooling around. You have no idea the number of requests for special builds and features we get, not to mention pm's asking for help. I don't want to be responsible for someone wiping out their entire phone. Or worse, bricking it due to a bad partition. Mmmark111 already bricked his by messing with partitions, now imagine a noob trying to do something like he was doing.

If you want something like that, great, but I already looked into it for Aphrodite and from everything I have seen, there is no way I would implement that at rom level.IF it can be done more safely and easily, yes I would give it a go, but it woudl have to be dead simple and reliable as all heck.
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^

Somethings just dont need to be in the rom.
    If you want the function on your phone take the time to read and understand how to do it. But please please lets stop hounding the devs to include every little thing in the roms. If you give too many options and or abilities you run in to doing nothing but troubleshooting. Let the things like this be troubleshooted by the people creating it. And not a rom dev that could be sitting in the sun with a cold beverage after a release instead of troubleshooting why the newest release is not working right and the community is rumbling about wanting things fixed.

ROM
    Aphrodite 1.3.3 Xionia 05

Quote Originally Posted by Eollie View Post
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^

Somethings just dont need to be in the rom.
    If you want the function on your phone take the time to read and understand how to do it. But please please lets stop hounding the devs to include every little thing in the roms. If you give too many options and or abilities you run in to doing nothing but troubleshooting. Let the things like this be troubleshooted by the people creating it. And not a rom dev that could be sitting in the sun with a cold beverage after a release instead of troubleshooting why the newest release is not working right and the community is rumbling about wanting things fixed.
    hear, hear Eollie!! my thoughts exactly!!