Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LeslieAnn
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Default Roms lg optimus v

Does anybody know if u download a rom via skyfire and its on your sd card can u flash it to your phone

Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes to Often

I guess it would be possible.
    SugarSync (5GB Cloud) Referral Link. - We each get 500MB extra.
    Guide to Play MP4's from the Cloud. Guide to Free VOIP using Google Voice and Groove IP.

U might have to move it to the root of your sdcard that is if skyfire saves it in a different folder on your sdcard

ROM
    Aphrodite

You can no problem, but you'll still need to boot into a recovery launcher like CWMA to do the actual flashing.

ROM
    AOSPCmod 7 2.3.3

delete
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Thanks for the answers ypu guys are great
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    Harmonia 3

It does not need to be in the root of your card, at least not with all recoveries. I keep all mine in /recovery/roms/{rom name}/.
    Putting it in root just makes it easier to get to it, especially when you are flashing via ADB where you have to type in the location.

Doing it all from the phone is completely doable, but...
    You still need a computer to flash the recovery the first time (or at least root, as far as I know), after that you can flash recoveries from inside the phone (quite easily actually).

Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

There are methods to root without a PC, but I don't know if anyone has had success with such methods on the Optimus V.

You don't need a file manager, you can use the terminal (must be rooted just as with any other method). Open up the terminal and you will see a "$" cursor. Type in "su" and hit enter, and if you are rooted, you will now see a "#" cursor showing that you now have Super User permissions. From there, you can use basic linux/adb shell commands (ls = list files, cd = change directory, cp = copy file, rm = remove file, mv = move file, etc) to move files around, change their permissions, and reboot into recovery.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Anothet question does I have to be unzippeor left zip I do have root
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

And custom recovery

ROM
    Harmonia 3

Leave them zipped.

ROM
    Rodimus Rom

Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
    Does anybody know if u download a rom via skyfire and its on your sd card can u flash it to your phone
    I've done it before. Takes awhile for initial download, and some acrobatics with Astro, but it works.
    Real_men_don't_use_spacebars

ROM
    CNA/CM9/Mirage

Default Re: Roms lg optimus v

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    It does not need to be in the root of your card, at least not with all recoveries. I keep all mine in /recovery/roms/{rom name}/.
    Putting it in root just makes it easier to get to it, especially when you are flashing via ADB where you have to type in the location.

Doing it all from the phone is completely doable, but...
    You still need a computer to flash the recovery the first time (or at least root, as far as I know), after that you can flash recoveries from inside the phone (quite easily actually).
    You can do a permanent root with gingerbreak 1.2.0 and then flash the recovery via terminal emulator. its a lot easier

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

Quote Originally Posted by sellers86 View Post
    You can do a permanent root with gingerbreak 1.2.0 and then flash the recovery via terminal emulator. its a lot easier
    You need to install the proper flash_image to /system/bin with an emulator before you can flash the recovery(Gingerbreak doesn't)
    It also doesn't install Busybox
    And It's suggested to update the Super User app from the market
    Yes,you can download,install Gingerbreak,Root,install busybox,update SuperUser, download and flash both the flash_image and recovery.img,download a ROM and gapps,and install from recovery. ALL WITHOUT THE USE OF A COMPUTER

ROM
    CM7 with OC kernal

I always download ROMs directly to my phone. Saves the chance of a dirty load from pc.

Sent from my LG OP V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe351 View Post
    I always download ROMs directly to my phone. Saves the chance of a dirty load from pc.

if you think about it. you want the faster CPU of the PC to handle organizing the packets of the file transfer and to organize it as a complete file once its downloaded.

the phone with a slower cpu and flash memory has more chance of introducing errors to the finished file.

I only mention this becuase for the most part, downloads on my PC have worked fine.

and roms and other large files downloaded through the phone seem to have a lot more errors and end up corrupt more often. maybes its my phone? but its still something ive noticed and feel should be pointed out.

edit* on multiple sd cards as well, not just one bad one. I have movie files and mp3s constantly end up with errors that make them play strangely or not at all sometimes

ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

Quote Originally Posted by watskyhotsky View Post
    if you think about it. you want the faster CPU of the PC to handle organizing the packets of the file transfer and to organize it as a complete file once its downloaded.

the phone with a slower cpu and flash memory has more chance of introducing errors to the finished file.

I only mention this becuase for the most part, downloads on my PC have worked fine.

and roms and other large files downloaded through the phone seem to have a lot more errors and end up corrupt more often. maybes its my phone? but its still something ive noticed and feel should be pointed out.

edit* on multiple sd cards as well, not just one bad one. I have movie files and mp3s constantly end up with errors that make them play strangely or not at all sometimes
    yeah I think downloading straight to Phone has a higher chance of corrupted downloads than PC, so I would only do that as a last resort. But now that most binary ROM distributions have MD5 checksums included, I would just do a "md5 <filename>" after the download to make sure it matches the original before flashing.

ROM
    Harmonia 3

Going straight to phone has a higher chance of issues.
    Error correction is not one of USB's strong points so you are better off transferring it to something stable, then sticking it in the phone to install it.

If you want to be sure, copy to the SDcard then run an MD5 again. It can get corrupted every time you move it and I have had it happen.

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

I realty appreciate what y'all are saying about using the PC to transfer files to the phone because the speed of the PC should keep the files from being corrupted.
    There are those that don't have a PC though,and have a need to customize there phone just as much as those that do.
    Viable alternatives need to be thought out to allow those without the same as those that do.

ROM
    CM7 with OC kernal

I have never had an issue downloading directly to my phone. The experts are saying otherwise, but I am speaking from my personal experience. I flashed several phones the same way and no issues.

ROM
    Harmonia 3

If you do download to the phone, run an MD5 check.

AndyOpie150 likes this.