[How To]Yet Another Voip Guide

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I figured out my problem.
Localphones voip service is only free to other localphone voip users.
So back to figuring out why I cant get pbxes to work.

RoboBot

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
More options is great. I also used to use pbexes and google voice, but that is down to at-least May 2011 for free users. Auto account generation has also been taken down.

Now I use Sipgate and Google Voice. You can signup for a FREE Sipgate One account. Incoming is free, and you use Google Voice call-back for free outgoing. I have found the latest version of Sipdroid (2.2) to be bugged with sipgate. It often tells you your SIP is registered but it really is not (checked on sipgate's site). I do not have this problem with Sipdroid 2.01.

There is also Whistle for USA residents. It has a native Apple app but you can also use SIP (for us Android folks). But the incoming calls can be hit or miss for some reason. It plays a ad on some of your outgoing calls before the connection. But it's free. I am assuming it can also be setup with google voice if you prefer.

I was pretty intimidated by the whole SIP process, but your post made me go ahead and try it. Took about 30 minutes to get SipGate One and Google Voice (with Sipdroid, Google Voice, Google Voice Callback apps) set up overall and it works like a charm. Incoming and outgoing + voicemail are tops. Bit of a voice lag, but that seems to be unavoidable.

Anyway, thanks for the motivation! I'm now another happy VOIP SIP user and I can dump Line2 and save $10 a month.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Np! BTW, I think sipgate registrations have been (re)open(ed) sense April 1st. I still have localphone/ipkall as a backup :)
yeah it appears sipgate has reopened the registration.
sucks cause my number was used at some point and I dont remember doing it.
/shrugs

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
When using the native voip system inside of the CM7 roms, if you have your wifi sleep policy set to turn wifi off when the screen is off and you get a voip call over 3G, does the call drop when you answer it and the phone switches to wifi, or is it smart enough to realize to keep wifi off until your call is finished?

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
If you call over 3G/2G, and activate wifi during a call, the call is dropped. I just tested this to be sure. Now I am not sure, if there are some working behind the scenes to prevent this when wifi is sleeping and a call comes in over 3G/2G.

footprintsinconc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
help with setup

hi,

it seems like i cant get past the 1st step....i am using the link that Eollie provided, but how do i get a sip phone number, i cant see an option to do that?

i am using the link provieded above because i cant find a way to upgrade the localphone account to VOIP?

i am lost...any help is appreciated.

thanks

themsn

May 31, 2011
Visit site
can any of you tell me which rom/kernel you are using?

i tried this method with localphone & GV callback
and my original method of csipsimple and sipsorcery, but no matter what I do, I cannot get audio. The other party hears me fine, but I cannot hear them (either over 3g or wifi). I even tried turning on the ICE and STUN settings on csipsimple.

the setup of csipsimple/sipsorcery works like a charm on my Viewsonic G Tablet over wifi, but cannot figure out why I get no audio on my optimus V

I'm guessing it's a kernel issue?

any help would be much appreciated. (or at least what rom/kernel combination works best for this).

thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781