Is pulling the battery really necessary?

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Whenever I have data issues and call VM, they always first claim they reset something on their end and I have to pull the battery while the phone is still on. This has never worked for me, but I was just wondering if pulling the battery is actually any different from just turning off/on the phone? (i.e. is it just their way to make sure your phone was actually power-cycled?)

And do they actually have something to reset on their end, and has this ever worked for anyone's Optimus V?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
The phone doesn't have a built in reboot feature. That is why they ask you to do this. You could also power off and then back on. This is an act of desperation on their part. It means, "we have no idea what the problem is."

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The phone doesn't have a built in reboot feature. That is why they ask you to do this. You could also power off and then back on. This is an act of desperation on their part. It means, "we have no idea what the problem is."

I know with my cackberry RIM recommended you pull the battery when having problems. It is truly the only way to completely remove things from memory. Even shutting down doesnt "turn off" everything. I think that is why cm7 auto restarts when plugged in.

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
A soft reset always works for me when things get a bit wonky. Hold power and volume up for 10 seconds or so.
Thanks, didn't know that either! Although a side-effect seems to be you end up cranking your volume up to max and have to turn it down after it resets (that is, if you didn't have it on max in the first place).

GatorHat

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I have found that pulling the battery does actually do more than just a power off/on.

Whenever I loose 3g/data, if airplane toggle, power off/on, or reactivation app doesn't work, I end up pulling the case off, then pulling the battery for a couple of minutes.

The two times so far that I have had to resort to pulling the battery, 3G did come back after starting back up.

foxmajik

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I have found that pulling the battery does actually do more than just a power off/on.

Whenever I loose 3g/data, if airplane toggle, power off/on, or reactivation app doesn't work, I end up pulling the case off, then pulling the battery for a couple of minutes.

The two times so far that I have had to resort to pulling the battery, 3G did come back after starting back up.

That's more likely because it takes longer to pull out the battery and put it back in than it takes to power cycle.

If you're in a ****ty signal area and your phone is constantly nagging the tower to 3G handshake, the tower will put your handset on ignore until it stops nagging for a little while.

Try powering your phone off for 30 seconds instead of pulling the battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12