Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone else used skype yet?

Ive been using skype ever since it aloud call's over 3g. I can confirm that it does not use any minutes. Although to get unlimited with skype its like 7 bucks a month which paired with the $25 dollar vm plan is outstanding. Just figured I would let you all know.
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

I just installed it today, on my phone and pc. I used Skype when it first came out years ago, but haven't used it in the past 5 years. Looking forward to discovering what's new.

I'm hoping I can create some sort of periscope to attach to the rear camera and use it for Skype video calls. My first attempt is using a dollar-store toy periscope, if it works, I'll check into better optics and post the details.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryScript View Post
    I'm hoping I can create some sort of periscope to attach to the rear camera and use it for Skype video calls. My first attempt is using a dollar-store toy periscope, if it works, I'll check into better optics and post the details.
    Hahaha, I'd love to hear more about this if is works out.
    (Pics or it didn't happen)

Quote Originally Posted by jmars125 View Post
    Ive been using skype ever since it aloud call's over 3g. I can confirm that it does not use any minutes. Although to get unlimited with skype its like 7 bucks a month which paired with the $25 dollar vm plan is outstanding. Just figured I would let you all know.
    Is there an option to not pay and get limited minutes on skype? Curious to try this.

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

Quote Originally Posted by vee View Post
    Is there an option to not pay and get limited minutes on skype? Curious to try this.
    Skype to skype calls are free. So if your calling somebody that has a skype account it will be free.

How is the voice quality?
    Don't you have to pay for a Skype number ?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

Quote Originally Posted by overthinkingme View Post
    How is the voice quality?
    Don't you have to pay for a Skype number ?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    Havent used the phone call on the phone but on the pc is just as good as any other voip program. On par with gmail calling.

To call other people that have skype no you dont need a number. Nor do you need a number to call other phones just to receive skype calls. You will need minutes to call out to other phones.

2.99/mo unlimited USA. Called my friend this morning and talked for 20 minutes. Quality is good over the 3g network. Only thing is there is a more noticeable delay then a normal call.

Also, the Skype app, when im not using it, i turn off as it will drain your battery down fairly fast.

28/Mo unlimited everything not too bad huh?

Quote Originally Posted by castout85 View Post
    2.99/mo unlimited USA. Called my friend this morning and talked for 20 minutes. Quality is good over the 3g network. Only thing is there is a more noticeable delay then a normal call.

Also, the Skype app, when im not using it, i turn off as it will drain your battery down fairly fast.

28/Mo unlimited everything not too bad huh?
    Hows the quality over wifi?

haven't tried wifi yet but im sure its better then 3g.

Just tried it over wifi, quality was pretty exceptional. 3g can have a few cutouts at times but hey, im not complaining. it werks

Yeah skype works great for me i call my friends and they say i sound crystal clear over the phone.
    LG OPTIMUS V ALL DAY!

It's noticeably better over wifi but I was able to make it through a 20+ minute conversation on 3g and it wasn't too bad. A little popping in the audio but it was rare. I was by a window though. I put 10 dollars on it months ago to user with an ipod and i still have 5 something left.

Quote Originally Posted by jmars125 View Post
    I use Skype for outbound calls over 3G all the time, and receive phone calls using the regular phone radio. That doesn't cost anything.

There's also an app called GroovE-IP that routes all calls through Google Voice using data but I couldn't get it to work reliably.