New VOIP option for GV - single app solution: GrooVe IP

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure if it supposed to be this way but for me all my incoming GV calls are being "forwarded" to my VM number which then uses my minutes if I answer even tho I get the message about hitting 1 to accept and 2 to send to voicemail. To make sure, I unchecked the GV option to forward the calls, turned on airplane mode, and turned on Wifi. With that setup I dont get incoming GV calls they go straight to voicemail. Am I missing something here or is the app only to make outgoing GV calls and all incoming just get fowarded to my regular Virgin mobile which uses minutes?

Sprint integration makes it a bit tough. To get incoming calls to the app you have to forward calls to google chat. Generally I tell people to uncheck checkbox to forward calls to their cell...but in the case of sprint that means your cell won't ring, only the app will. If you have calls forwarded to both your cell and google chat then both the app and your cell phone will ring. Which also isn't ideal.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok so for the moment it working as it can I am not having any problems. Thanks for the fast reply. I am not too worried about the incoming calls but just wanted to know I atleast had it working right.

etb

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue happen again today, I have my phone wifi set to always on. The issue seems to be triggered when I leave wifi coverage. This morning I made several calls over 3g just fine. When I got home, I made a call over wifi. Then when I left for lunch, and was out of range of wifi, it wouldn't re-register until I rebooted my phone. I gave it about 20 mins to try and let itself re-register before the reboot. This is in an area with good 3g coverage. Seemed to be back to normal again after the reboot.

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Did you try exiting Groove IP and re-opening? Usually if I have a problem registering, just bringing up the Groove IP dialer, turns the icon green a few seconds later.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue happen again today, I have my phone wifi set to always on. The issue seems to be triggered when I leave wifi coverage. This morning I made several calls over 3g just fine. When I got home, I made a call over wifi. Then when I left for lunch, and was out of range of wifi, it wouldn't re-register until I rebooted my phone. I gave it about 20 mins to try and let itself re-register before the reboot. This is in an area with good 3g coverage. Seemed to be back to normal again after the reboot.

I wonder if the active network is coming up as wifi instead of 3G because your wifi checkbox is still checked. Next time it happens can you uncheck the wifi checkbox in the phone settings? I have a feeling maybe restarting isn't required. Might get fixed by either going into airplane mode and out, or uncheck wifi, or in GrooVe IP uncheck allow 3g and recheck it.

I'm going to make some changes in that area. Hopefully it'll make it more robust. Sorry you're running into these problems.

--

Looks like it is tied to having wifi checked and not being on a wifi network. I just got it to happen on my phone. Unchecking and rechecking allow 3g calling made the app register. We'll get a fix for this into the next update.

Last edited:

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Does GrooVe IP use the same techniques as the popular Obihai VoIP adapters (e.g. Obi110) to handle GV calls?

I think the Obi relies on Google Chat within Gmail, so this is probably why it doesn't work if your GV account isn't tied to an @gmail.com account (e.g. if you're using @yahoo.com or @hotmail.com to log into GV). This is assuming GrooVe IP has the same limitation (haven't tried it myself yet).

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Does GrooVe IP use the same techniques as the popular Obihai VoIP adapters (e.g. Obi110) to handle GV calls?

I think the Obi relies on Google Chat within Gmail, so this is probably why it doesn't work if your GV account isn't tied to an @gmail.com account (e.g. if you're using @yahoo.com or @hotmail.com to log into GV). This is assuming GrooVe IP has the same limitation (haven't tried it myself yet).

We're likely fairly close to what Obi does. However, I have tried with a @hotmail.com email and was able to log in.

scootincivic

Feb 16, 2011
civicscootin.3utilities.com
Could your team please make it possible to edit the apps mic & speaker settings please while in call..
NOTE: Talking about the apps settings not the native dailer/phone settings..

I'm still having the wifi issue as well with .3...
Only way I found to re register (green) is by going into the login user name box and exit back out..
Seems to be the easiest way around this small issue quickly..

Sent from my Optimus V vai Tapatalk

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Could your team please make it possible to edit the apps mic & speaker settings please while in call..
NOTE: Talking about the apps settings not the native dailer/phone settings..

I'm still having the wifi issue as well with .3...
Only way I found to re register (green) is by going into the login user name box and exit back out..
Seems to be the easiest way around this small issue quickly..

Ya we can make those settings accessible from the call screen.

Also, found a bug where the app doesn't re-register if there is an error signing in. That will be fixed in the next release.

johnp012001

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I probably won't use the app a whole lot, but I did want to check it out. Plus, I appreciate watching the app evolve with the developers posts here. Keep up the great work!

scootincivic

Feb 16, 2011
civicscootin.3utilities.com
Ya we can make those settings accessible from the call screen.

Also, found a bug where the app doesn't re-register if there is an error signing in. That will be fixed in the next release.
Thank you very much!..
I can not think anything else to really add once the register fix is made as well as the request that I had..
Plus forward to voicemail is about all that's left in my book for now..
Your team is doing a great job..
The support you give as well as the the rest of your team is the only reason I bought this app..

Keep up the great work!..

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
First off let me say great app when I first bought it I called alot of people for free :D But....

I'm having issues when I disconnect from wifi. The app just stops. I end up having to exit out if I can but then sometimes I can't I have to stop it from settings. I don't know if a log or the report an error will help you or not.

Also I don't think the dial tones work correctly when you call your voice mail. I called my voicemail using groove ip and it called my phone of course I refused the call and groove ip went back to a blank dialer. I pulled down my notification bar and pressed the icon and it took me to the correct groove ip dialer with the phone call. So I hit star but that didn't work so then I tried pound and that did. So it asked me to enter my ten digit number. I entered it and it said sorry the number 555-555-5555 (fake number I'm not posting my real one lol ) is not a valid number. But the number it repeated was not the number i entered. I'm thinking that if the voicemail dialer can be fixed then we'll be able to check our voicemails and eventually forward them to google voice

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
First off let me say great app when I first bought it I called alot of people for free :D But....

I'm having issues when I disconnect from wifi. The app just stops. I end up having to exit out if I can but then sometimes I can't I have to stop it from settings. I don't know if a log or the report an error will help you or not.

Also I don't think the dial tones work correctly when you call your voice mail. I called my voicemail using groove ip and it called my phone of course I refused the call and groove ip went back to a blank dialer. I pulled down my notification bar and pressed the icon and it took me to the correct groove ip dialer with the phone call. So I hit star but that didn't work so then I tried pound and that did. So it asked me to enter my ten digit number. I entered it and it said sorry the number 555-555-5555 (fake number I'm not posting my real one lol ) is not a valid number. But the number it repeated was not the number i entered. I'm thinking that if the voicemail dialer can be fixed then we'll be able to check our voicemails and eventually forward them to google voice

Hi,

Glad you like the app. We're looking into both issues. Fixes will be in the next release.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Version 1.1.4

- Improve call quality
- Fix an issue where extra spaces or lines in the username could cause registration to fail
- Fix registration failing when switching networks
- Add a config to disable audible dialpad tones
- Fix app randomly flipping between unregistered and registered (requires registration notification to be on)
- Fix an issue where Bluetooth, mute, and speaker-phone buttons reset if you navigate away from the call screen
- Improve DTMF digit generation

markkal123

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
verizon
htc thunderbolt rooted/bamf rom
groove ip 113

looks like a way cool app. trying to figure this out though. thinking a sticky somewhere might help if it outlines the setup rather than having to read through all of the ups and downs of other posters.

should i be able to place calls initiated through my native dialer/phone app? when i do initiate a call in this manner i do get the option to choose between "groove ip" or "mobile network" and when the call is placed through groove ip the recipient of the call can't hear me. i have attempted the various troubleshooting recommendations without a solution.

i am however able to place a call through the groove ip interface with the expected intended results and with better than expected audio quality.

am i missing something? should i indeed be able to use the native dial/phone app to place calls through groove ip?

oops just noticed this is an optimus forum. you'all seem pretty active with regard to this little app. hope you'all dont mind a t-bolt guy's question.

thanks
mark

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae