Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Changes to Often

If you are in the USA, call 317-222-2222. It's our weather phone here in Indiana. I often call it to see if sound breaks up. Anyone know of a free echo number we can call?

Whoa, this thing even works over 2g! I didn't actually have a conversation, just listened to a pre-recorded message from best buy to test it. Not sure about actual conversational call quality, but its still cool that it sounds pretty good over 2g.

Are you guys just leaving the app on, or are you only turning the app on when you're making calls? For those keeping the app on, how's the battery life with the 3g on? On wifi I expect battery life to be pretty good, so I'm really only interested in results from leaving on the app with mobile data.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryScript View Post
    I just purchased and tried this out, and I'm pretty impressed so far. WiFi works great, though I did have to increase my mic's gain, call quality is similar to normal cell call on my OV. I only made one test call over 3g, only 2 bars in my house, quality was noticeably less of course, but usable. Haven't tried many calls yet, it's too late for most of my contacts. Tomorrow I can text them with my new easier to remember GV number!

One side note- I don't suggest you call your cell phone number from your cell phone using GrooVeIP. The call rang through, but it de-registered the GrooVeIP app, and I had to re-enter my password to get it working again. I know, why call your own phone from your own phone, I was just trying things out!

@devs: Do you have any webpages devoted to GrooVeIP?
    No webpage yet. We did start a facebook page for snrb labs. Haven't really done much with it though.
    Daydream Believer

Carrier
    Victorious

I had a little hiccup trying it out this morning. I couldn't get it to register. I finally had to login to Gmail through my phone's browser using the standard webpage interface, then the GrooVeIP symbol finally showed green.

I don't think this has anything to do with the GrooVeIP app, something to do with Gmail not syncing at the time. Just wanted to post how I got it working.

Default New Version!

Version 1.0.12 is up on the market.

- Calls that hang at signalling will auto fail in a few seconds
    - “Always use GrooVe IP” option now works
    - Exit menu is now working
    - Hang up tone is no longer played twice
    - Added a Ring tone configuration
    - Clean up some screen transitions
    - Fix an issue where sometimes the incoming call screen didn't show up
    - Added a troubleshooting section to the help
    - GrooVe IP contact list will now show custom phone type labels for contacts instead of "Unknown"

Dangit, right when I started a skype subscription, this comes out.... sigh

Very nice. Ill update now. I haven't been able to recreate that bug that I reported earlier. Hopefully all is well.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Changes to Often

Yay, new version to play with. Time to bug all my contacts

can you add support for motion sensor so screen will dim when talking.

Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Changes to Often

That's called the Proximity Sensor. (for future reference)

Quote Originally Posted by castout85 View Post
    can you add support for motion sensor so screen will dim when talking.
    Yup! It's on the list, I'm debating whether to start that today or take the day off.

Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Changes to Often

We got something new to play with. Take a day. Recharge the batteries.

after comparing this app with skype, skype seems to have a more stable voice transmission with fewer drop outs. i tried calling my friend with groove and he couldnt even hear me, it would only transmit the last half of my statement. i did a comparison calling my landline and skype was the winner.

Groove IP:

Pros:
    Google voice service without using your providers (VM) minutes
    FREE service (-2.99$)
    FREE Number

Cons:
    New app with relatively little features
    voice drop outs frequently while speaking

Pros:
    Stable voice, reliable
    APP is loaded with features

Cons:
    Monthly fee
    have to pay for a number which is extra ontop of the service

This app is promising, but i will hold off for a while until the devs have a chance to update and polish it. For now i will stick with skype.

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Some arrogant a-holes

TO be fair this app is brand new, skype has been around for a long time and has tons more people developing for their apps.

That said I think each person will get varying results as I called my GF earlier and she could hear me fine but when I called my old man he said it was delayed, but could hear me fine. Give this some time and Im sure it will be a great app. I like how the dev is communicating with us. Hoepfully he sees the optimus v and VM as a great source to gain followers and customers. And its proven some of us are die hard supporters of apps we just love (cough atk cough).

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Some arrogant a-holes

Quote Originally Posted by snrb_labs View Post
    No webpage yet. We did start a facebook page for snrb labs. Haven't really done much with it though.
    links for those of us that would like to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by castout85 View Post
    after comparing this app with skype, skype seems to have a more stable voice transmission with fewer drop outs. i tried calling my friend with groove and he couldnt even hear me, it would only transmit the last half of my statement. i did a comparison calling my landline and skype was the winner.

Groove IP:

Pros:
    Google voice service without using your providers (VM) minutes
    FREE service (-2.99$)
    FREE Number

Cons:
    New app with relatively little features
    voice drop outs frequently while speaking

Pros:
    Stable voice, reliable
    APP is loaded with features

Cons:
    Monthly fee
    have to pay for a number which is extra ontop of the service

This app is promising, but i will hold off for a while until the devs have a chance to update and polish it. For now i will stick with skype.
    Sorry you're having problems! Can you tell me what phone you're using? And are you using 3G or WiFi?

Quote Originally Posted by Eollie View Post
    links for those of us that would like to check it out.

I think this may work. GrooVe IP | Facebook. It may not work, I was reading that you need to have a certain number of people like or follow you before it becomes a real page. I'm actually pretty surprised the people who have followed so far found the page. There's really not much there right now.

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Some arrogant a-holes

Quote Originally Posted by snrb_labs View Post
    I think this may work. GrooVe IP | Facebook. It may not work, I was reading that you need to have a certain number of people like or follow you before it becomes a real page. I'm actually pretty surprised the people who have followed so far found the page. There's really not much there right now.
    Well I would link it in your sig on here and any other forums you post on.
    I liked it and will keep my eye on it for updates .

This app is awesome and works perfect! I've always wanted a simple, all in one solution for VOIP and this app blows Nettalk outta the water. I won't ever need to use it because I don't use any mins but will come in handy when my wife decides to upgrade to an Android and when out of the country.

My only suggestion would be an option to disable the notification icon in the taskbar always on & maybe smart dialing.

Quote Originally Posted by one80oneday View Post
    This app is awesome and works perfect! I've always wanted a simple, all in one solution for VOIP and this app blows Nettalk outta the water. I won't ever need to use it because I don't use any mins but will come in handy when my wife decides to upgrade to an Android and when out of the country.

My only suggestion would be an option to disable the notification icon in the taskbar always on & maybe smart dialing.
    Can you explain smart dialing? Not familiar.

Also, just out of curiosity, why would you want the notification icon invisible? Without it there's really no way to know if your registered or not. Believe making it a toggle is already on our list, just never knew why someone would want it off.

Widget & SMS support would be cool too

Just got your app, I used it with wifi, worked as expected. Tried it on 3g and the other person couldn't hear me, and the other person was cutting off on my side. Full bars. But wifi works well.

Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Changes to Often

I would not worry about widget, sms support, and other bells and whistles till the core product is more reliable.

How's the battery life on 3g for those who just leave on the app?

And my girlfriend complained of echo issues, have others as well?

Quote Originally Posted by theboundless View Post
    How's the battery life on 3g for those who just leave on the app?

And my girlfriend complained of echo issues, have others as well?
    Hi. We're working on getting an echo canceler into the app. Until then you can reduce the echo by playing with the speaker volume and microphone gain settings. What causes the echo is your mic picks up sounds coming from the speaker and transmits it back to the person you're talking to. This causes them to hear themselves after a slight delay. You can improve it by reducing the speaker volume and/or reducing the mic gain. We tried to best guess the default settings but each phone is different.
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast