New VOIP option for GV - single app solution: GrooVe IP

Raechel

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm one of the devs for GrooVe IP. Don't want to intrude, but if you have any questions, problems with the app, or feature requests feel free to contact us
Hey, developer person.

Just did setup, and it works great. Easy, quick, no problems. I'm a long-time GV user, just switched to Virgin Mobile for price/contract, and upgraded from Blackberry to Android (LG Optimus V running 2.2.1), and couldn't be happier. Good job, programmers.

Question: I understand I will still be charged for minutes when I make calls through GV (seems odd, but that's what folks on the Internet are saying), and that I won't be able to force my calls to my cell through my GV # in order to take advantage of the hilarious but useful transcription on VMs. Right? But that I will be able to make calls to Canada from the U.S. using GV, which I cannot do on my cheapo Virgin plan. Is that correct? I realize that these questions have been asked a million times, but the answers are not consistent, so I decided to take the opportunity to ask a person who should know. Thx

GeekOutDog

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
When you make calls through google's own google voice app, it uses minutes.

When you make calls with GrooVe IP, it uses data (3G, WiFi, etc). No minutes used.

pcp135

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I have used this app to call land line and had no complains but when I tried using it to call a cell number last night, there was a horrible echo on the other end. I had no trouble hearing or with echo but my friend on the other end complained that it was really hard to talk b/c she could hear her words echoing back pretty badly. I tried changing one of the settings (microphone gain) to dial it down but it was not very helpful.

Is there anything else I can do?

themsn

May 31, 2011
Visit site
wanted to ask what rom/kernel all of you are using.
when using VOIP I connect and dial fine, but I can't hear the other party.

the other party hears me fine, but I can't hear them. I'm thinking it's a kernel issue with the audio stacks.

so if any of you would care to tell me your rom/kernel combo, that'd be greatly appreciated (i'm using bumblebee 2.4 and tried harmonia 1.3, cm7, and stock rom but still can't hear the other party...)

doggscube

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have used this app to call land line and had no complains but when I tried using it to call a cell number last night, there was a horrible echo on the other end. I had no trouble hearing or with echo but my friend on the other end complained that it was really hard to talk b/c she could hear her words echoing back pretty badly. I tried changing one of the settings (microphone gain) to dial it down but it was not very helpful.

Is there anything else I can do?

I'm having the same problem.

doggscube

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I also have a pretty significant problem with receiving phone calls:

Sometimes both Groove IP and the native phone ring, and my phone freezes up when I try to unlock it to answer it.

shitsucks

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I also have a pretty significant problem with receiving phone calls:

Sometimes both Groove IP and the native phone ring, and my phone freezes up when I try to unlock it to answer it.
I'm using Harmonia 1.3 / Pickastics' Kernal. Groove is a working pretty well, even for incoming calls. only problem I've had is checking my voice mail from Groove I.P., I can check it from a land line, but when I call from Groove I.P. my recorded outgoing message never plays. I press the " * " and it seems that I'm already leaving a message and unable to get into the prompt to enter my voice mail code. Also am having complaints about echo from far line...still messing with volumes and troubleshooting settings though.

Last edited:

wch_one

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
only problem I've had is checking my voice mail from Groove I.P., I can check it from a land line, but when I call from Groove I.P. my recorded outgoing message never plays. I press the " * " and it seems that I'm already leaving a message and unable to get into the prompt to enter my voice mail code.

I had that same problem, but you can work around it pretty easily. You need to have a longer voicemail message, and/or enable the instructions prompt, where the voice says, "To leave a voice message, press 1 or just wait for the tone. To send a numeric page, press 2 now, blah blah blah." If you have that turned on, you'll have plenty of time to press *.

Reactions: shitsucks

jSterling

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I've yet to get GrooVe to work for incoming calls, I've tried for Verizon and AT&T phones, and they just ring and eventually go to my voicemail, so I am unable to receive calls like the application describes. I do get excellent working outgoing phone calls. This has to be one of the best, easiest, VOiP solutions for phones, peroid. I never hear complains from people I'm calling at all, even on a weak Wifi signal.

josh93752

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Right now I am having an issue with receiving calls when the phone is locked. It rings but when I unlock it there is no answer screen. The only way to answer is to manually go to the groove app. Is there any way to fix this?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I've yet to get GrooVe to work for incoming calls, I've tried for Verizon and AT&T phones, and they just ring and eventually go to my voicemail, so I am unable to receive calls like the application describes. I do get excellent working outgoing phone calls. This has to be one of the best, easiest, VOiP solutions for phones, peroid. I never hear complains from people I'm calling at all, even on a weak Wifi signal.

Have you forwarded calls to Google Chat in your Google Voice account? Also, if you are using WiFi make sure your power profile isn't set to put WiFi into a power saving mode when the screen is off.

nudder

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Have you forwarded calls to Google Chat in your Google Voice account? Also, if you are using WiFi make sure your power profile isn't set to put WiFi into a power saving mode when the screen is off.

I have a similar problem. I 'miss' a lot of calls. I have the WiFi power setting to never sleep but when someone beside me tries to call, nothing. Other times, rings right away. Also, if I know the phone should be ringing and I activate the screen, the phone starts to ring instantly.

Not using any app killers which was the only other thing I could think of.

Last edited:

ictshocker

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Probably my igorance here but when I try to sign up for google voice and provide my VM number, when asked to enter in the code on the phone and dial, I get an error. Seelecting the "got an error" link on the google voice page ultimately give me this

"Some prepaid plans do not support changing voicemail providers, and, as such Google voicemail cannot be setup on these phones.

Please contact your phone carrier for more information about making "conditional call forwarding" work for you.

We suggest contacting your mobile provider for more information to find out if you're able to use the conditional call forwarding feature".

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
VM doesn't let us use outside voicemail services. If you forward your GV to your mobile number, callers will most of the time be sent to GV voicemail, but will sometimes get your VM voicemail. You'll just have to live with checking two different voicemail boxes. No solution to this for now.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Probably my igorance here but when I try to sign up for google voice and provide my VM number, when asked to enter in the code on the phone and dial, I get an error. Seelecting the "got an error" link on the google voice page ultimately give me this

"Some prepaid plans do not support changing voicemail providers, and, as such Google voicemail cannot be setup on these phones.

Please contact your phone carrier for more information about making "conditional call forwarding" work for you.

We suggest contacting your mobile provider for more information to find out if you're able to use the conditional call forwarding feature".

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks

If you're just trying to set up the google voice account you can use any phone number for them to call to verify. It doesn't have to be your cell. Could be your house number.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
We are having an issue with the BACKside ROM and GrooveIP, when you attempt to place a call, it dials, appears to connect (though I never hear my voice on the echo number I tested with), then 1-2 seconds later the it deregisters and you end up back at the sign in screen. Here are links to logcat and dmesg taken when this occured.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27424823/dmesg-grooveip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27424823/logcat.txt

Love the app, hope you can help me get it working with this ROM.

2psps

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm using an Lg optimus v
The lag seemed to go away over wifi

I'm having issues with the person on the
Other end hearing an echo of their voice

I've played with the settings with no luck.
I can see people on here saying it works great
So I'm guessing it's a setting thing.

Can anyone recommend settings for the optimus v?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm using an Lg optimus v
The lag seemed to go away over wifi

I'm having issues with the person on the
Other end hearing an echo of their voice

I've played with the settings with no luck.
I can see people on here saying it works great
So I'm guessing it's a setting thing.

Can anyone recommend settings for the optimus v?

Pull down todays update. It adds echo canceler support. Enable echo cancelling and that should get rid of the echo. You may have to try different tail sizes. The 200-400 worked for most devices. But some we tested used 100-300.