New VOIP option for GV - single app solution: GrooVe IP

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
So I have not tested this yet, but there is a new app that supposedly makes calls via Google Voice and also receives incoming calls. No external web accounts needed. No extra phone numbers. Just download the Groove IP app, put in your Google Voice account details, and you are good to go.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.gvoip
$2.99
Price increase: $3.99

Official Groove IP Thread: [APP] GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP - Android Forums

Okay, it seems the issue is that if you have gmail logged on computer and if the call gets forwarded to it. Then it doesn't come to the app on the phone.

I though that incoming calls would be forwarded to all logged in instance, but apparently it is not so. So you need to make sure to log out at other places.

Any takers?

Last edited:

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
That does sound very interesting. I might have to give it a try after I read some of the reviews. There is also Acrobits. It has it's own callback solution integrated, but you still need a sip/voip provider. When I tried it awhile back, you could not change your ringtone. So I ditched it.

GoogleVoice interface, originate and complete GoogleVoice calls all from one app (requires GoogleVoice account and SIP Account with incoming U.S. numbers)

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, there are a ton of options if you have your own sip provider. I use sipdroid and pbxes. But I have to admit, having a one-stop no-hassle option does seem attractive, and I know a lot of people want voip without having to set up anything like a pbxes account and all the trouble that comes with it.

@mmarz, I tried it for a few minutes before refunding it from the market, seems like ok call quality despite the reviews, but sipdroid/pbxes seems to have better call quality (I never thought I'd say that).

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, look's like it's starting to pick up speed. It has a few more positive reviews, and the dev seem's to be updating it frequently. 3 versions have been released sense the creation of this thread.

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up mmarz. I commented over there. I hope to purchase it very soon. Once I have it, I will be sure to provide some feedback over there, here, and on the marketplace.

ejlmd

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have tried Sipdroid with and without pbxes.org, Csipsimple including current nightlies, Skype, nettalk, Linphone and the native GB SIP dialer (AOSP 4/27 2.3.3 ROM).

So far this new app has the best voice quality over 3G. It seems very promising, could be a real game changer. Elegant idea and implementation.

I'm going to see how I do using this as my primary phone app.

Reactions: oner14

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm one of the devs for GrooVe IP. Don't want to intrude, but if you have any questions, problems with the app, or feature requests feel free to contact us

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Just purchased it.

I am liking it. I had a issue where the other party could not hear me. I enabled the workaround in Advanced Settings/Troubleshooting (Audio Routing Hack) and that did help. It's actually very clear over EDGE, but also delayed. I am not sure if there is any hope for those of us without 3G/4G. Maybe bandwidth profiles? More robust sip clients often offer a range of codecs. But I think google voice only supports certain codecs. Of-course, it's sounds amazing over wifi, and the delay is hardly noticeable. The popup asking if I want to use Groove IP or Dialer is working fine (when using native dialer). I can tell it still needs some work but it's shaping up very nicely. Well worth the asking price.

You will be getting 5 stars from me, because I can see the issue's will be resolved. I am very happy to cutout the middle man (google voice - sipgate - GV callback = just google voice)

Edit #1: I see we now have a thread in the App Section.
Edit #2: I wrote a very simple guide here.

Last edited:

yoramsk

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
this is very exciting! as soon as i've flashed my phone i will be testing this app out. i have wasted many hours with the sip accounts to no avail and tried nettalk but that quality is pretty bad. hope this is better. will report back.

harukay

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Just tried it and I love it. Call quality is better than sipdroid and csipsimple. Its also easier, just login to your google voice account and your ready to go. On wifi theres a very small delay(not very noticeable), over 3g the delay is a little longer but not a problem. Overall its very good

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Bug: Enabling Audio Routing Hack, makes the speaker phone not work on Optimus V (maybe other phones too?)

(DEV: I know I posted this in the other thread. I am hoping to inform other members here)

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Bug: Enabling Audio Routing Hack, makes the speaker phone not work on Optimus V (maybe other phones too?)

(DEV: I know I posted this in the other thread. I am hoping to inform other members here)

No problem :). I really have to start a page somewhere that lists the best settings for each phone. I put up a description for what Audio Routing Hack does as a reply to your other post. It sounds like Optimus V doesn't need it enabled.

lizm

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. I rarely use all my minutes at home. BUT I wonder if this works when I am out of the country, using wifi? I'd love to use it in place of my Jamaican cell phone...

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. I rarely use all my minutes at home. BUT I wonder if this works when I am out of the country, using wifi? I'd love to use it in place of my Jamaican cell phone...

Honestly I haven't tried it out, but I think it should work. As long as you can connect to Google Voice you should be able to make calls. Until now I've been buying prepaid sim cards when I travel overseas but now I plan on doing some testing next time I go:).

lizm

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Please report back after you travel - I can't think why it wouldn't work, internet is internet, but i'm not up on how apps might block out of country ips or anything.

If it did work that would be a local call for anyone calling me from the US, I think, since they'd be calling my GV #?

I just bought it, call quality not bad. A little delay (I knew this because I called my daughter in the next room so could hear her). Did it over 3G.

Last edited:

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Please report back after you travel - I can't think why it wouldn't work, internet is internet, but i'm not up on how apps might block out of country ips or anything.

If it did work that would be a local call for anyone calling me from the US, I think, since they'd be calling my GV #?

I just bought it, call quality not bad. A little delay (I knew this because I called my daughter in the next room so could hear her). Did it over 3G.

Ya it would be a local call. They'd be calling your US GV #.

ZipLipZ

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Been an android user for 6 months. This is the first app I have bought. I have tried it on 3g and it worked well, slight delay but thats to be expected. Others couldn't hear me on wifi though...

I did manage to break my app when I dialed a # and then immediately hung up. The app kept playing a ringing sound despite it not really calling anyone. I had to toggle my data so the app saw it was d/c for it to stop.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Been an android user for 6 months. This is the first app I have bought. I have tried it on 3g and it worked well, slight delay but thats to be expected. Others couldn't hear me on wifi though...

I did manage to break my app when I dialed a # and then immediately hung up. The app kept playing a ringing sound despite it not really calling anyone. I had to toggle my data so the app saw it was d/c for it to stop.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Hey, thanks for purchasing. I just tried the # thing a few times and haven't been able to duplicate. I am running the latest dev apk, so it might be already fixed. I'll give it a shot with the released version.

Sorry missed that wifi didn't work. Have you tried the Keep Screen Alive checkbox in troubleshooting? Your wifi may be going into power saving when the screen turns off.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463