New VOIP option for GV - single app solution: GrooVe IP

srkelley

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been using this app since October of last year. I love it, it works great. For those having lag issues, it is unfortunately a network problem most of the time. There are ways to troubleshoot this or test for it both before and after you use Groove IP.

1. Download a speed test app, I recommend Speedtest.net.
2. Run multiple speed tests, at least 5 from 3 different test server locations (Speedtest.net allows you to change the speed test server).
3. The numbers that we're looking for here are at least 100 Kbps up and down, and 80ms or less in ping. The ping is usually where you'll come up short, you ideally would want 150ms or less.

Some peoples ears can notice even that slight amount of lag, but I've noticed that every person has a limit to amount of delay that they can passively tolerate/ignore/not notice. It's usually been around 200ms for most folks that I know.

I usually hit wifi or do it when I'm at about 120ms or less in pings. Checking around online, 150ms seems to be the sweet spot for many people. You can try disabling sync, properly exiting or force closing any app that uses the web (outside of GrooveIP of course).

Sometimes I force my phone in EvDo only mode to stop the phone from dropping to a slower network. I really wish that 3G tech had better latency, I can get 18-20ms through Wifi on AT&T's slowest DSL connection. I guess that's the strength of using a more local connection that's within a close range.

Reactions: snrb_labs

tommydore

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Depends what's causing the lag. If it's the network then the delay will be the same no matter what device you have. If you have a lot of apps running in the background on the Optimus that could cause lag, but should be able to improve that by stopping apps.

yeah that helped a lot but it's still happening. thanks for the tip on that

sunmercury

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, I have a AT&T fusion phone running the for a few weeks. I had been using version 1.2.25, which works great until I upgrade to version 1.2.27.

Now, it happens quite a few times that I call and get no audio. Once I have no audio, it would stay that way until I exit grooveIP and
get back in. Is there a fix for this ? If not, is there a way I can revert back to version 1.2.25, which would well without any issue ?

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have a AT&T fusion phone running the for a few weeks. I had been using version 1.2.25, which works great until I upgrade to version 1.2.27.

Now, it happens quite a few times that I call and get no audio. Once I have no audio, it would stay that way until I exit grooveIP and
get back in. Is there a fix for this ? If not, is there a way I can revert back to version 1.2.25, which would well without any issue ?

Try a Google search for an apk of version 1.2.25. You might be able to find it that way.

This space intentionally left blank.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

I'd recommend first trying a clean install. The main difference between 1.2.25 and 1.2.27 are the addition of oauth as a sign in mechanism. To do the clean install uninstall the app, restart the device, then download and install the app again

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I love your app and bought it like 2 years ago and still use it daily. I have been having an increasing issue over the what seems to be 4 months. Not sure if there was an update that caused this back then or a change on Google's side. When I wake up my phone 3 out of 5 times the green GV in the statusbar is red and stuck trying to login for who knows how long. It will not login till I close the app and relaunch it. I run this app on my Galaxy Nexus i515, LG Optimus V, and my Nexus 7 all of them experience this issue on WiFi, 4G LTE, and 3G. I have experimented alot with the setting to keep the cpu awake and wifi perf locking. I had each device setup and working for months without issue before this started. I then went back and tested each setting to see if another setup would help and nothing fixed it but some did make it alot worse.

Anonymo

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I love your app and bought it like 2 years ago and still use it daily. I have been having an increasing issue over the what seems to be 4 months. Not sure if there was an update that caused this back then or a change on Google's side. When I wake up my phone 3 out of 5 times the green GV in the statusbar is red and stuck trying to login for who knows how long. It will not login till I close the app and relaunch it. I run this app on my Galaxy Nexus i515, LG Optimus V, and my Nexus 7 all of them experience this issue on WiFi, 4G LTE, and 3G. I have experimented alot with the setting to keep the cpu awake and wifi perf locking. I had each device setup and working for months without issue before this started. I then went back and tested each setting to see if another setup would help and nothing fixed it but some did make it alot worse.

Do you have the setting in Wifi Advanced settings to keep Wifi on always?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

Hi,

We've been making some changes for sign in for the next update. We should have a beta available this weekend or soon after. It'll be posted on our facebook page.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Do you have the setting in Wifi Advanced settings to keep Wifi on always?

Yes, but that would not explain why 3G & 4G LTE also experience this issue. Plus if I did have it set to sleep WiFi while screen off it would log back in when it switches from wifi to mobile data.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

We've been making some changes for sign in for the next update. We should have a beta available this weekend or soon after. It'll be posted on our facebook page.

Kewl I thought it might have something to do with the new authentication being used.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Going to give it a try but I was wondering if it will still update thought the play store or will I need to uninstall and download a new version form the play store manually?

EDIT: Status bar icon changed? It stays grey?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Going to give it a try but I was wondering if it will still update thought the play store or will I need to uninstall and download a new version form the play store manually?

EDIT: Status bar icon changed? It stays grey?

Notification icons are new. If there's an X there it's signed out. Complete circle with GV is signed in. You should still be able to update from the play store when we post the app

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Hope you don't mind but I have feature suggestion now that color is not part of the icon scheme. Add the ability to customize the color so we can match it to the rest of our statusbar since it is a main stay for those of us that use it regularly. Thanks for making an app with real life use. :)

badrsj

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Please excuse me if this is not in line with the general topic of this discussion I am very interested in understanding how to use this with Magic Jack I do not have the magic jack dongle anymore does anybody have information on this
thank you for your time

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Hope you don't mind but I have feature suggestion now that color is not part of the icon scheme. Add the ability to customize the color so we can match it to the rest of our statusbar since it is a main stay for those of us that use it regularly. Thanks for making an app with real life use. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I have to imagine it's possible. I'll talk to the guy who created the icons for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC