The what not to do's..

moto_android_mick

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Well I am back again with my new Optimus V and I rooted already using this thread http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/57485-how-root-lg-optimus-v.html made by RevolutionRed (thanks is not enough, your awesome). But all i see in these threads are what to do's but my main concern that there are no threads on the what not to do's. So maybe we can prevent mishaps from happening to others.

Here's one
DO NOT ATTEMPT A FACTORY RESET THROUGH YOUR PRIVACY SETTINGS :mad:
This can be fatal to your phone so its best to leave it be

Any and all post will be appreciated by many I imagine haha.

-Michael

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't see what the big deal is. I'm using AOSP's CWM 3.x (orange text) recovery. I use data reset through privacy settings often and I've never had a problem.

Sent from my Optimus One CDMA using Tapatalk

fchs

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
i am using [ROM][WIP][ALPHA] aospCMod | AOSP 2.3.3 / CM7 (Gingerbread)... and i have factory data reset more then 2 times and it's working fine for me...

this is what i do if my phone don't work fine, factory data reset then my phone reboot... soon as it's start i will reboot one more time and it's been working fine for me

moto_android_mick

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Well perhaps my incident was a fluke and somehow it happenend to me. I kinda think its a big deal because of by me doing that my phone was bricked beyond repair. If you have done it before and it worked for you then cheerio my friend. Im just saying I lost a phone due to that step..

Also thinking as well I had everything stock on my phone. Nothing custom at all. I just had root. Nothing more.

All I did was went into my privacy settings and did a factory wipe. Then it booted up and was stuck on the lg logo screen. My pc would not read it and after attempting a few things that people suggested nothing worked.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fchs

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Well perhaps my incident was a fluke and somehow it happenend to me. I kinda think its a big deal because of by me doing that my phone was bricked beyond repair. If you have done it before and it worked for you then cheerio my friend. Im just saying I lost a phone due to that step..

Also thinking as well I had everything stock on my phone. Nothing custom at all. I just had root. Nothing more.

All I did was went into my privacy settings and did a factory wipe. Then it booted up and was stuck on the lg logo screen. My pc would not read it and after attempting a few things that people suggested nothing worked.

sorry about your phone... it's worked for me i don't know y... but ever its work i will not do that why on my phone anymore don't want to take any ricks

ok if you have recovery ofsun then you reinstall stock backup rom or CMW rom... u can find it here

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
It was not a fluke, what happened to you, moto_android_mick. There are all sorts of incompatibilities out there when using that factory resetfeature. The rule of thumb is, If you have a custom rom, do not use the built in factory reset. Most of the time, you run into the same problems as you did. fchs and KemikalElite are the flukes because they are using the exact same kernel, rom, and recovery and it happened to work. Any other combination will result in a big head ache. It is just not worth the risk when you can simply wipe and flash via the recovery.

moto_android_mick

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Good I was beginning to think that maybe I was a lone wolf in that department. My line of reasoning is maybe I can help someone else make the same mistake I did! Maybe in addition advert any other mistakes as well!

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why not. I used Romtools to root and flash roms to both my phone and my wife's. I had no problems and it worked perfectly. In fact, I've used that recovery to flash numerous roms to my phone with no problems. I even used it change the boot animation. All functions I've tried have worked flawlessly.

rockneo

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
When I first got my optimus V, I used romtools to flash a recovery, then did the command reboot recovery, and i got stuck in a recovery bootloop, a factory recovery bootloop at that, so the custom recovery didn't load, I just install recoveries through fastboot and the install.bat method.

moto_android_mick

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Ya I am apprehensive myself. The concept of a custom rom and a theme sounds really good but I want to be able to know that I myself can do this without fail (bricking another oppy) maybe if I could practice on a emulator or sonething I would gain some courage. I think there are some emulators out there not to sure though. I am content on my rooted stock for now.:)

foxmajik

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
DO NOT ATTEMPT A FACTORY RESET THROUGH YOUR PRIVACY SETTINGS :mad:
This can be fatal to your phone so its best to leave it be

Any and all post will be appreciated by many I imagine haha.

-Michael

It's only fatal if you're an idiot and you don't read before posting.

Factory reset doesn't brick your phone, it just erases some proprietary, required boot code.

It's fixable. Don't be a drama llama.

moto_android_mick

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
It's only fatal if you're an idiot and you don't read before posting.

Factory reset doesn't brick your phone, it just erases some proprietary, required boot code.

It's fixable. Don't be a drama llama.

Whatever dude if that post stopped anyone from making that "idiot" based decision then its helping more than creating drama. Don't be a troll dude and give input that helps people! Seriously..

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Eh, I dunno.
Sure, everyone is *supposed* to read directions, follow instructions, check the memo, etc., but people flake on it a lot. Once you get sex nuts and ****** strong and amped about being able to overclock your phone... Well. Hilarity can often ensue.

Sure, they shouldn't do a thing until there's a good general picture of what does what.
Sure, I've seen mmarz raise more Op V's from the dead than Jesus.

I think what trips people up is wiping a lot of times. They're told to wipe cetrain things (dalvik, cache,you know the drill..) and then associate the Factory Wipe as being the same thing.
Recovery hopping seems a bit sloppy, as well.
Seems to be one trend, anyway.

TL;DR read something, you knuclehead.

-K

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
There is also alot of confusion as to what we mean by factory reset.

Do not use the factory reset when your phone is booted up normally, this is the one found by:
menu_key>>settings>>privacy>>Factory data reset

Do use the factory reset in your recovery, that is fine and in fact necessary during some ROM installations. This is the one found by turning off your phone, then holding power+volume_down+home_key and then navigating in the recovery menu to the factory reset.

moto_android_mick

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks JerryScript that was my main point of this post to be one more warning bell for those who are about to make that mistake and being that most people do not have the proper knowledge about these things maybe I could help. Helping instead of being a downer and saying we told so. That does not help..
-Michael

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance