Optimus V + iPod touch: anyone have both?

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPod touch 4th gen. Love it. I got it because I wanted an iPhone but I can't justify that expense at all. I currently have a Samsung Mantra on Virgin, and I hate it. Just a POS phone that does nothing. So I want something better, which an actual keyboard (whether slideout or on-screen). I feel like the VM phone with the least amount of compromise is the Optimus V.

My concern is redundancy in my gadgets if you know what I mean. I always carry around my iPod touch, because I have a lot of musical tools/apps on it, and I use the HD video camera all the time.

So I'm hesitant to carry around two devices that do sort of the same thing. Just seems like it would get annoying and excessive.

Does anyone have both and use both frequently?

vee

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have both, but I stopped using my ipod entirely. I used to use it everywhere I went, now it's on my desk and hasn't been turned on for about a week. If it was an iphone, I would take it over my V in a heartbeat, but since it's not...V wins. Only thing I miss is the front camera. I know others that carry around both and use ipod mainly as a gaming and music device.

MarkD426

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I lost my iPod and was going to get another one but I don't really have the need to, sure the iPod has a nicer music player and such but for what I used it for the V works perfectly for me. It's nice to have just one device seeing as I hate carrying around stuff in my pockets. Find a friend or a friend of a friend that has an Optimus S,V,U,M what ever service, they are basically the same. Try it out, or even go to a sprint store and play around with their working displays.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input folks. I got a pretty good deal on a new one on eBay, so I'll try It out for a month or so probably. If for whatever reason I don't like it or if it doesn't find it's place in my gadget arsenal I can resell it and not lose very much.

Last edited:

vee

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input folks. I got a pretty good deal on a new one on eBay, so I'll try It out for a month or so probably. If for whatever reason I don't like it or if it doesn't find it's place in my gadget arsenal I can resell it and not lose very much.

Once you get the V rooted and rom'd, and get used to the weight and size difference from your ipod, you'll be alright.

companionlink

Feb 9, 2010
www.companionlink.com
I'm with you - I hate carrying around multiple things in my pocket. That said, not sure what your plans are, but if you do stick with the V, I'd suggest keeping the iPod too. It'd be great for casual use at home, while on trips, etc. and allow you to play games, listen to music, and more without draining your phone's battery. Just my $0.02!

- David Z.

jralabate

Android Ninja
Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a 5th Gen iPod video and before I got my OV I used my iPod all the time. For podcast, mp3s and audio books. But for the past month I have not used it but, as a paper wight. With the apps on my OV I have no need to sync it with a computer like I had to with my iPod. Apps like dog catcher for podcast and audible for audio books and Google music for mp3s. So no more of apples crack for me!!!!!!!

Sent via Tapatalk using a LG Optumis V with AOSP CM7

Irate Iguana

Boss Status
Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I had an ipod touch, but then when I got my Optimus V I use it for my music :D. It's ALOT easier to have everything on one device instead of 2.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you - I hate carrying around multiple things in my pocket. That said, not sure what your plans are, but if you do stick with the V, I'd suggest keeping the iPod too. It'd be great for casual use at home, while on trips, etc. and allow you to play games, listen to music, and more without draining your phone's battery. Just my $0.02!

- David Z.

I am keeping the iPod touch regardless. I have a lot of important apps and tools on there for music, so there's no replacing that. If anything the OV will come out with me and the iPod touch will stay in the studio and at home. I have an iPod classic for music, so that job is well covered. That usually stays in the car.

The one nice perk about using them in tandem is personal hotspot. This way I can use either device wherever I am.

Last edited:

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
my optimus V completely replaced my zune and ipod touch. I dont have that much music, but what i do have i listen to all the time.

I am adding more and ill be buying a 16gb sd card soon, so the downside to using the V is that youll have to buy a sd card with extra memory. im running a 4GB card right now.

I use Fedes Music app, which is a great copy of the Windows Phone 7 music app, its beautiful and way better than androids stock player. also, gingerbread lets me customize the way audio sounds. by adding presets for the equalizer or making my own.

having one device that does what 3 or 4 used to is much better for me. becuase i dont walk around with a backpack to carry everything. I just put my headphones on and walk out with my phone and im set.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
The Opti V should be here today (wed). Looking forward to checking it out and seeing/using Android for the first time. (I'm a big fan of iOS but the wife isn't a fan of $70/month phone bills, nor am I).

Last edited:

bradmc

May 8, 2011
bradmc.com
Me Too

I have an iPod touch 4th gen. Love it. I got it because I wanted an iPhone but I can't justify that expense at all. I currently have a Samsung Mantra on Virgin, and I hate it. Just a POS phone that does nothing. So I want something better, which an actual keyboard (whether slideout or on-screen). I feel like the VM phone with the least amount of compromise is the Optimus V.

My concern is redundancy in my gadgets if you know what I mean. I always carry around my iPod touch, because I have a lot of musical tools/apps on it, and I use the HD video camera all the time.

So I'm hesitant to carry around two devices that do sort of the same thing. Just seems like it would get annoying and excessive.

I have the 3rd and 4th gen iPod Touch. I used to carry it around along with numerous phones, the latest of which was the Rumor Touch. I made the mistake of trying the Samsung Intercept first, but finally got the Optimus V and have been happy ever since. I no longer carry the iPod touch, but I do keep it around just in case.

My only problems with it were originally the low internal memory, and the small screen.

Running out of internal memory the first time, after installing a bunch of apps, was kind of a bummer. Eventually, I rooted the phone and started using a custom ROM that left all needless the built-in apps off. Harmonia was my initial choice for a stable Froyo ROM, and I'm still considering going back to it (thanks to Leslie Ann). I've been using AOSP's CM7 Gingerbread ROM for a while, which is nice, but still has a few issues, and the developer makes it hard to follow along. Anyway, that alleviates the internal memory problem for the most part.

I really haven't noticed the smaller screen being a problem and now I'm used to it. I don't play many games and I don't do much video intensive stuff, so your mileage may vary.

I wanted to stay with syncing music and podcasts through iTunes so my other iOS devices could stay in the mix (iPad, wife's iPod, and the iPod Touch). I settled on an app called iSyncr that has a companion app that lets you sync with iTunes via wifi. Also settled on the Android version of Winamp for a player.

I've been very happy finally having just one small device and only paying $25/mo.

munkyvirus

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Had a touch 4G for while after I got my V. Stopped using it so long the battery broke. I brought it in to get fixed and sold it.

itsnotadam

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I can never wrap my head around the idea of listening to music on a cellphone, so I always carry my ipod touch and Optimus V, its not really that much of a hassle, i have two front pockets anyways :p. Plus, its hard to replace a 32gb ipod touch with so many stuff in it

SleepyheadKC

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Before I got the V a few months ago, I used to carry both an iPod Touch and my prepaid "dumb" phone. The iPod handled most of my smartphone-type functions (email via wifi, sync'd Outlook calendar and contacts, etc), so I used it quite a bit.

Now that I have the V, I no longer carry the iPod, I let the kids have it. The only thing I miss are a few of the games, and maybe the larger screen.

travisbickle

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I have to admit i don't use it much at all and was gonna give it to amazon for $140. But with the IOS5 announcement i'm thinking of keeping it. Nothing wrong with a backup. Also with TALKATONE i have the same functionality as grooveip on my V. Screen is much better and gaming is better. But if you don't play alot of games or use apps that aren't available on the V it will probably just waste up space.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
After now owning the Optimus V for a couple weeks, and still owning my iPod touch 4th gen 32GB, I thought I'd share my thoughts on comparisons on them, as well as sort of answer my own question about carrying both vs not.

So I've been very impressed with the Optimus V. I also owned an iPhone 4 last year for a brief period, so I've gotten a taste of the flagship iOS device as well.

But more specifically in comparison to the iPod touch...

Speed/responsiveness: I actually find the OV to be LESS laggy than the iPod. I believe the OV has twice the RAM so that might be a big part of the difference. My iPod touch is snappy after a fresh restore, but as soon as I load it up with apps, it becomes a lot more laggy and unresponsive for brief moments here and there.

Camera: This is where the OV is a big disappointment. The VGA camcorder is obviously not up to the quality of the HD cam on the iPod touch, but the sound is equally terrible. But even the still camera on the iPod touch (despite being less than a megapixel) is still better and more useful because it's sooo much quicker. There's so much delay on the still camera with the OV that I haven't managed to get a good shot of my daughter playing yet. With the iPod touch I can fire off pictures pretty quick.

Screen quality: The OV isn't bad. It's of course not going to be like the Retina display (on either the iPod or iPhone) but it's decent. Web browsing is not nearly as pleasant as on the iPod. But if I'd never owned an iDevice, I'd probably be pretty pleased with the quality. I've just been spoiled by Retina.

Other stuff I really like: I'm surprised at how much I like it as a music player. Google Navigation is absolutely incredible. My wife has a Garmin I used to borrow, and I prefer Google's method so much better. And never having to update maps (or pay to update maps) is awesome. Battery life isn't nearly as bad as I was thinking after reading so many mentions about it in reviews. If you manually shut off the radios you don't need when you don't need them, you can really keep things under control. I did download Juice Defender for when I'm out and about and don't need the Data running constantly. This saves a ton of battery as well.

As far as what I've been carrying or not carrying. The first few days, I carried both, but I just felt like a nerd juggling touch devices in my pockets. As well as needing a pocket for my keys, and another for my wallet. It just became a pain. So I've started carrying only the OV. For most things, it's a plus, cause it does most of what my iPod does. Most is the key word. The main thing I miss, goes back to the camera. I always had an HD videocam in my pocket, and a decent (And very quick) still camera. My daughter is 2 so it's prime time for stills and video and I took a LOT with my iPod, but now I don't really do it with the OV because of the camera shutter lag and the poor quality video. This might eventually drive me to carry both again.

So my concerns about gadget redundancy were correct. I want both with me, because the OV does not replace my iPod touch for everything, but carrying around too much stuff in my pockets is annoying. I could argue though that before I got the OV, I always carried my cell and my iPod, so I just happen to have a bigger cell.

But all in all, I love the OV for what it is. As far as a smartphone, it's got everything covered. The cameras are the one thing that really make it less than perfect. The Motorola Triumph looks like it could hit closer to the mark, but I now have a one year minimum per cellphone rule I am going to try to stick by. By then the Triumph may not even be the best VM has to offer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude