So, how does the Optimus V stack up to other Android phones to you?

nickmiller71

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
This is more of an opinion thread, but here's the place to compare the Optimus V to the competition! How do you think it stacks up against all of the other variants of Android out there? In my opinion, it may not be the greatest spec'd phone out there, but I've owned multiple Android devices and it is easily near the top of my list!

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
The only bragging point anyone at my work has over my OV is screen size and flash. And even with that, I can see the envious looks in their eyes when they see what the OV can do, and I mention how much it costs me (they are all locked into relatively new contracts, VM+OV@2yrs~$800 theirs@2yrs~$1900 ;) ). I like to use real world side by side tests against them, and things like starting Angry Birds are virtually even, though their benchmarks are far higher. Though their browsers usually show part of a webpage sooner, the stock browser on my OV is done rendering the full page faster (thanks to no flash ads I believe). They complain about horrible battery life, I get over 18 hours with moderat usage. They have less than 40 apps each on their phones and are running out of memory, I have 109 and have room for plenty more. Of course, I've customized my phone more than most of them with ROMs and tweaks, which makes most of this possible. When I grab one of their phones in order to try and demonstrate some feature of Android, it feels huge and slow and less responsive than my OV.

And of course I out geek them every time with live dmesg and live logcat as my bootanimation replacement! ;)

I would like a slightly larger screen, but the larger ones most of my coworkers have are too big, I hope something in between comes out eventually. There are tons of ways their phones beat the OV, but in real world usage, it doesn't make a difference that is worth an extra $500/year, imho.

nickmiller71

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree with your last point there. Its the VM price plan that almost seems to win out in the long run in my opinion. I would like a bit of a larger screen, but in reality its not that big of a deal. I recently saw a review of the Atrix 4G on Phonedog and it looked incredibly laggy. In fact, even the reviewer noticed it extensively. I went to check it out, and I was totally blown away at how slow the Atrix actually was compared to my OV. In benchmarks it was obviously better, but the daily stuff and overall use was horrible. This is likely due to Motorola's terrible software overlay and the lack of hardware optimization. In short, I'm really loving what my V can do in comparison to some high end devices even over five months after its launch!

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree with your last point there. Its the VM price plan that almost seems to win out in the long run in my opinion. I would like a bit of a larger screen, but in reality its not that big of a deal. I recently saw a review of the Atrix 4G on Phonedog and it looked incredibly laggy. In fact, even the reviewer noticed it extensively. I went to check it out, and I was totally blown away at how slow the Atrix actually was compared to my OV. In benchmarks it was obviously better, but the daily stuff and overall use was horrible. This is likely due to Motorola's terrible software overlay and the lack of hardware optimization. In short, I'm really loving what my V can do in comparison to some high end devices even over five months after its launch!

But how will it stack up to the triumph,i like the V but it is an entry level android phone.

nickmiller71

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
But how will it stack up to the triumph,i like the V but it is an entry level android phone.

Well, spec wise it will be worse than the triumph, but I'm not sure if it will perform any worse. The triumph looks to be being made my Huawei with Motorola branding, so I'm not to confident that it will be a "better" phone overall... it may be nice to have the bigger screen, but at what cost? The similar Huawei model (I forgot the name) retails prepaid USD $499.00. That's wayyyy too much for what's likely going to be a very small upgrade usability wise from the OV.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, spec wise it will be worse than the triumph, but I'm not sure if it will perform any worse. The triumph looks to be being made my Huawei with Motorola branding, so I'm not to confident that it will be a "better" phone overall... it may be nice to have the bigger screen, but at what cost? The similar Huawei model (I forgot the name) retails prepaid USD $499.00. That's wayyyy too much for what's likely going to be a very small upgrade usability wise from the OV.

I read that they have different processors,so who knows if they are the same exactly,and i highly doubt the triumph will be 500 dollars i think between 300-350,and with a flash capable cpu a more powerful cpu, a front facing camera with flash and wireless N , wy mre internal storage,it sounds like more then a small upgrade.

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Once rooted, overclocked, and having bumblebee installed, my Optimus V is just as responsive as any other android 2.2 phone I've used. Sprints 3g seems to have better coverage than tmobile in my area as well, so for $25 a month I'm extremely satisfied. The camera takes excellent pictures with enough ambient light, and alright dark/indoor pictures. The only thing I'd change is a slightly larger screen, 3.5" probably. But I've gotten used to typing on this small of a screen and can now type faster than the blackberry I used before.

joshlete

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, my friend had this Motorola high end phone, but the way they made the phone, with all the bloatware and unneeded stuff, it is complete garbage. To make things worse Motorola doesn't even let you do custom roms and such.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
What I love about my OV is the way cheap plan and no custom UI I really hate any custom UI they just slow down the phone and slow down the amount of time it takes to update to a new version of android. I also love how easy it is to root compared to most "High End" phones. The only thing that this phone is missing is official CM7 support but asop has done a great job at porting it to our phone and I'm happy. I do not miss flash because even on the high end phones it is crap and that is why I use skyfire.

narrow_minded#WN

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
The OV has an edge against most other Android phones on the market if only because it runs stock Android. That is what makes the experience so smooth.

But let's be realistic. The OV is a mid-range phone. In terms of hardware, it doesn't match up to the competition. But in terms of usability and the monthly bill... it can't be beat... except maybe by the Triumph. We'll see when it comes out.

ceejay83

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
was able to hold the evo 4g today, i was surprised by the HUGE screen and how thin it was. i didn't really get to play with it much to see how it performed but it didn't seem any faster than my OV

jmart981

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
After learning from the forums and checking out what people had to say about the Motorola Triumph being a Huewai x6 something build with Moto branding, i'm a little concerned about the build quality. I bought the OG Droid when it first came out a few years ago, and i rooted it, added a CM6 rom and boom i thought it was awesome (it was). But after leaving Verizon (best thing ever), i bought my beloved LG Optimus V, installed AOSP and bumblebee, and honestly, this thing makes my old droid seem well old in comparison. It doesn't lag nowhere near as much, i've compared it to the Thunderbolt and Fascinate, and let me tell ya, this lil phone is like freakin Herby, small but very tough on the inside. Besides not having the fastest connection and no flash for the camera, and notification light, and minus a few apps (earth), this phone definitely makes up for it in other areas. Depending on the reviews once the Triumph comes out after a few weeks, i'll decide if i will give up this handheld champ (in my eyes).

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Alot of people over look the fact that the OV is one of a small group that have more than 1 processor. Other than the main CPU (600mhz) there is a dedicated communications processor (400Mhz) and a dedicated GPU (300Mhz). Most phones have 1 CPU that is shared for all tasks and some have a co-processor but those are high end in most cases. But the duel cores are on the raise.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I read that they have different processors,so who knows if they are the same exactly,and i highly doubt the triumph will be 500 dollars i think between 300-350,and with a flash capable cpu a more powerful cpu, a front facing camera with flash and wireless N , wy mre internal storage,it sounds like more then a small upgrade.

The fact it is a Moto phone and Virgins stance on custom roms, well yes it is a small upgrade.
Personally I wish people would stop trying to trump the current badass phone on VM with a not even released phone.

Back OT.
I had the Droid X prior to this phone, and honestly the larger screen is all I miss. But Im not a power user and need super duper phone to play angry birds...
The only thing I find lacking is VM support on android phones.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
The fact it is a Moto phone and Virgins stance on custom roms, well yes it is a small upgrade.
Personally I wish people would stop trying to trump the current badass phone on VM with a not even released phone.

Back OT.
I had the Droid X prior to this phone, and honestly the larger screen is all I miss. But Im not a power user and need super duper phone to play angry birds...
The only thing I find lacking is VM support on android phones.

I guess we will have to wait and see,some of us are ready for a more current spec phone regardless if we can install a custom Rom or not,the V is a nice phone but a tad outdated,nice entry level smartphone though

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The Triumph will not be $500, only an idiot would buy it at that price. Virgin has done lots of surveys as has the industry, the sweet spot for phones is $200. Straying too far from that, even on prepaid will not go over well.

As for Triumph being an upgrade, yes, in some ways it is, but if the build quality is terrible, how good is it?

dazedabyss

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Well i have had the Optimus for about 2 weeks now, Stacking it up against my rooted OG droid 1Running Ultimate Droid really seems unfair, But on the other hand now that i have to pay for phone service, wich is why i have the optimus on Virgin mobile 25 dollar plan, and rooted. I can tether my droid to it and i cant beat the price. So pound for pound the LG is saving me a bundle.:)

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
You haven't held one so how do you know the build quality

Sent from my Optimus V

I said "IF the build quality is terrible", but based on what we are hearing, it may very well be similar to (or be) a Huawaei phone, a company who's quality has been criticized before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs