Preparing a bigger SD card

checcles

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Just ordered a 8gb card and am curious about the easiest way to transfer my data from my old (2gb) one to the new card.

Yes, I realize there is a [How to] in the rooted section, but it seems kinda complicated for something that shouldn't be. Here's the thread if you are interested: http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...ing-larger-sd-cards-no-more-storage-woes.html

Can't I just copy all of the files from the 2gb to the 8gb using a computer?
I really don't understand the partition talk.

Thanks for the help and patience. Trying to learn here.

Edit: Just a note, I do NOT need to upgrade my ROM. I'm running aosp 0601 with Clockwork Recovery.

DF3

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the same question on how to transfer the recovery and rom from a smaller 2gb SD to a bigger card.

I used this tutorial to root and install a custom recovery

http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...42-guide-how-install-custom-recovery-rom.html

So would I just copy everything over, and then just open up the cmd from adbshell again, and do this same process again for the Flash_Image & Recover.img? Or do I not even have to do that, since the recovery is already flashed into the system.

adb remount (It should say remount succeeded.)
adb shell
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
reboot recovery

So in even that I do change recoveries would have put in the commands listed above?

Last edited:

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Rom and recovery wont be affected by changing sd cards. I did it the easy lazy way. Made a nandroid backup of my phone. Copied everything off it. Put in new card and partitioned it the way i use it in recovery, then put everything on it and flashed my nandroid backup. Probably an easier way but it was good enough for me. :)

Reactions: DF3

DF3

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Rom and recovery wont be affected by changing sd cards. I did it the easy lazy way. Made a nandroid backup of my phone. Copied everything off it. Put in new card and partitioned it the way i use it in recovery, then put everything on it and flashed my nandroid backup. Probably an easier way but it was good enough for me. :)

Thanks for clearing some things up :D makes sense now.

checcles

May 19, 2011
Visit site

Sorry for being such a ****** man, but what do you mean you partitioned it the way you use it in recovery? Are you referring to the "Partition SD card" advanced setting of your recovery? Did you use the 1024MB(1GB) setting?

Last edited: