Getting charged for toll free calls?!

checcles

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity this morning, I checked my minutes used which were 17/300 and then decided to call a 1-800 number to see if toll-free was still free with VM. After the call, my minutes went up to 19/300.

Does VM really count our minutes used for toll-free calls too?

Godbilla

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the only toll free number that doesn't charge you is the VM customer service number.

Sent from my Virgin Mobile Optimus V running 2.3.4 aosp using Tapatalk.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Getting charged for toll free calls?!?!?!

Welcome to the world of mobile phones. FYI, you get charged minutes to check your voicemail or calling customer support too.

Last edited:

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Getting charged for toll free calls?!?!?!

A toll free number means when you call from a landline phone it does not charge for long distance. What you being charged for on your cell is air time usage. The only minutes you won't be charged for are the calls to customer service through *611. Every cell I have ever owned has charged air time to toll free numbers. It doesn't really make any difference since long distance is free on cells anyway. You will still be charged for airtime for the call, just no additional charge for long distance.

Godbilla

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the world of mobile phones. FYI, you get charged minutes to check your voicemail or calling customer support too.

I know voicemail isn't free, but customer service told me when you call then it doesn't charge your minutes. I found out because I was calling using a different phone, and they told me that it wasn't necessary to use a different phone. I dunno I could be wrong and I never really checked afterwords because I have the 40 plan lol. And I only ever use like half of the minutes.

Sent from my Virgin Mobile Optimus V running 2.3.4 aosp using Tapatalk.

telepheedian

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I can verify that calling customer service (including escalation) doesn't use your minutes. Voicemail and toll-free do, every carrier does that.

Sent from my Optimus V using Tapatalk