Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Questions re upgrading

I recently got the Galaxy Reverb (upgraded from my Optimus V, yay!), and have got it rooted using poot. I went through and froze all the bloatware and it seems to be working well. I just have a couple of questions for the more experienced users here. First, I keep getting a popup notification to upgrade. I have 4.0.4 on this phone, and I'm scared to upgrade because I may lose root (and tethering) and I've seen threads mentioning those problems. Does that upgrade go to 4.1 (Jellybean)? Should I not do it? What are the advantages of upgrading (if any)? And, if I shouldn't, I saw mention that I can disable the notification somehow, can someone please tell me how? Thanks in advance for any help!

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Default Re: Questions re upgrading

Hey Harriett! I'm not sure what the update version is for the phone, however I wouldn't take it if you're rooted. It usually ends badly. First, look around using Google to find out if there are any roms that use the updated firmware as a base. Your device wasn't a huge flagship so I cannot say whether or not there's a dev community. If you find one, flash the updated rom and you won't have the OTA notice pop up again. If not, and you're considering taking the OTA, find out if there is a root method for the new firmware. If so, unroot, take the OTA and reroot. I hope this has been helpful!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info, that is helpful. I did find a thread on how to root Jellybean on the Reverb, but it seems overly complicated (at least for me to attempt). Unless there is some significant advantage to having JB over ICS, I think I'll just stay as I am for now. This is only my second time rooting an Android phone, so unless it's a fairly straightforward process I'm leery of trying it. I've also never flashed a ROM. As for the OTA notice, I'll do some more digging to see how I can make it go away

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Putting a rom on the device is a lot less risky than flashing the recovery you've done already. It's up to you, though. As far as JB over ICS, you'll gain Google Now and a few other handy features. Google Now is the big one, and is super handy to have. You can find a list of updated features between the versions by a quick Google search, then make a decision. Good luck!