How many people have Gear VR?

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious how many people that read this forum have Gear VR vs don't have one but are just interested and may get one in the future?

Does not matter if you have Note 4 or Note 6.

And if you know someone else that does not frequent this forum but has Gear VR, you can add them to your count.

So, I'll start...

1 (I have one)

Last edited:

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I am seriously considering getting one but I am hearing that it is not compatible with T-Mobile. Hoping someone can clear this up...

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I am seriously considering getting one but I am hearing that it is not compatible with T-Mobile. Hoping someone can clear this up...

Hmm. I've not heard that. Don't know why it would not be compatible. I hope that's false. I have Verizon and it works.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
S6 version on Yesterday

Awesome! Enjoy.

I'm curious how well the fan works in the S6 version to help reduce/eliminate lens fogging and if it and to help keep the phone cooler or if it gets hot at times and requests that you stop and let it cool down to maintain optimum performance.

Terrance Willis

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I have the S6/S6 edge version. It's dope...bottom line! Had it since day 1 of the pre-order release date. Watching movies (3D/2D), games, experiences, etc. is next level. You know its different but good different when you get your mom and wife saying that's a pretty neat gadget lol!

Posted via the Android Central App

Brad Davis2

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I also have the Samsung Galaxy Edge S6 Innovator Edition. I agree, it's very good. I have brought it to the bar with me and it just blew everyone away. The "fan" in the headset is only to help with fogging. The phone will still heat up pretty good depending what 3D app/game you are running. Watching movies is not nearly as bad with the overheating issue. To help give me extended game play usage, I've been using TheraPearl Pals freezer ice packs with a couple of rubber bands to attach to my Gear VR to help with the overherating (see image below). With these (I have a few in the freezer) I get a little over 1 hour use per ice pack. They are small and light and really don't add much to the weight of the Gear VR. I just don't like having to rely on ice packs as a solution to the S6 overheating issue. You can purchase them at Target or Walgreen's.20150609_172606.jpg450.jpg

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I also have the Samsung Galaxy Edge S6 Innovator Edition. I agree, it's very good. I have brought it to the bar with me and it just blew everyone away. .View attachment 183453View attachment 183454

Great story, but, when you showed people at the bar, which one blew them away more? The VR experience or Mr Frogie? :)

Thanks for the ice pack tip. I've found that sitting in front of a fan helps reduce heat or playing in my car with the AC on (with the added bonus of plugging into the surround sound speakers)!

Brad Davis2

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Frogie stayed home, he was not old enough to drink! lol I also use my Bluetooth and connect to my home stereo. That really enhances the experience with movies and games.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I am considering getting one, but I have no idea where to get full 3D videos. Any thoughts?

There are several sources of fully immersive 360° virtual reality video apps on the Gear VR app store. Many of those add new content every day or week. Some are static content and do not change.

And there is also Oculus Cinema that gets updated with new movie trailers. These are not full 360° videos but some are the traditional 3D video. I've read other people that watch their video library of bluray movies in Oculus Cinema.

In Oculus Cinema, you can sit in 4 different theaters and are able to feel like you are really IN the theater. And the screen is huge!

See the attached screenshots for the apps that have fully immersive 360° virtual reality videos.

Attachments

• 1435750638466.jpg
    1435750638466.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 1435750649221.jpg
    1435750649221.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 1435750660161.jpg
    1435750660161.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 1435750669726.jpg
    1435750669726.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 1435750687591.jpg
    1435750687591.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 84

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Tally so far:
7 people have one
2 people want one

(At least those that are willing to reply. I think there's more of you out there based in the # of views these posts are getting.)

So do you have one? Considering getting one?

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I am considering getting one, but I have no idea where to get full 3D videos. Any thoughts?

(I'll add this as a new thread to discuss watching YouTube videos on Gear VR but wanted to reply to you here too.)

Another place to find full 3D videos is YouTube. Search for "360 video" and several will show up.

Although, to me, they don't play as well as the Gear VR 360 designed videos. The frame rate seems lower resulting some choppy video. More on this below.

Gear VR does not have a YouTube app yet so it's not as fluid as a true Gear VR enabled app but it works.

Here's how to use it:
- start the 360 video
- click the Google Cardboard symbol on the bottom right to go into stereoscopic mode (a must to see properly in the Gear VR)
- put the phone into the Gear VR WITHOUT plugging into the micro USB connector (this is important so that the Gear VR HMD does not start the Gear VR home app, thus stopping the YouTube video)
- enjoy the video

Unfortunately, you will need to do this with every video you watch (take the phone out, start the video, put the phone back in). So a better option would be to watch or create playlists with the videos you like.

You might also want to put your phone in do not disturb mode. If you get any notification or phone call, your video stops.

The YouTube app has a VR setup page but I couldn't figure out how to get it to scan the Gear VR QR code - it's too tiny to recognize.

Also, since the YouTube app is using the phone's accelerometer to adjust the video viewing angle to where you are looking, the head tracking is not smooth. So there is some jitter to the video when you are trying to sit still and when you turn your head to look around, it's not as smooth as it could be if the app was using the Gear VR accelerometer.

The Gear VR accelerometer is one of the reasons that helps the Gear VR standout from Google Cardboard. It's MUCH better at tracking your head's position than the phone's accelerometer.

Hey Samsung, when can we get a YouTube app for Gear VR? Or maybe I should be asking Google.

Magnesus

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I bought Gear VR but sold it after a week. I just couldn't stand the screen effect. I was expecting it but not to that degree - you can actually see gaps between pixels. I probably won't buy any VR device until the resolution reaches 4k or 8k.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I bought Gear VR but sold it after a week. I just couldn't stand the screen effect. I was expecting it but not to that degree - you can actually see gaps between pixels. I probably won't buy any VR device until the resolution reaches 4k or 8k.

I have the Note 4 Gear VR and I agree that there is what people call a "screen door effect". Not everywhere, not all the time, but it's noticeable with some apps/games.

But, after a while, it kind of disappears and I don't really notice it anymore.

We are in the "Atari 2600" stage with VR, first generation of almost consumer ready VR. I agree with you, I can't wait till screen resolutions improve (4k, 8k). VR is going to be so much better in the future with a lot of advancements in this area as well as others areas.

All that being said, I'm having a blast with several of the VR games and apps. VR completely changes everything when you put on the headset.

I've had many people (close to 40 or more) test out my Gear VR and only one (a true geek like me) has mentioned the slight pixelation of the screen and said he might wait a couple generations of improvement to get one.

But, everyone else has had an instant smile and amazement when they put the Gear VR on their head. They can't believe what they are seeing.

I think availability of a VR HMD will play into my future smartphone choice; definitely part of my criteria now.

TheOpusFuller

May 28, 2010
www.Germanity.com
I also have a Gear VR innovator edition with the Note 4. One of the best purchases I have made hands down.

Does the screen door suck? Yes and No. Yes it sucks that it's there but like other posters have said, on some apps you don't notice it as much. I think it really had to do with the resolution of the content. On the 360 photo app you can barely notice it. And after a while, the amazement overpowers the annoyances for me personally.

Watching movies on this thing is amazing. It's funny how in reality, the movie theater screen is probably the size of a stamp on the actual phone screen, but with the phone placed in the VR headset and you look into the device, it looks like a legit 80 foot screen. It's just amazing! Still blows my mind.

I purchase a Note 4 off contract for 600+ and a the 200 dollar innovator edition of the VR. Was worth every penny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome