Gear / S6 Edge Overheating, how can I fix it?

Gothamoddisee

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Gear / S6 Edge Overheating

Any advice on how to minimize / eliminate the overheating issue? After using the Gear VR for 5-10 minutes on my S6 (T-mobile) I begin getting the 'performance will degrade as your device heats up' message. After 20 minutes, a message window instructs me to remove my device so that it can cool down, immediately putting an end to the VR fun. Is there any software way to keep the S6 from heating up so I can keep going for longer?

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Gear / S6 Edge Overheating

Thats why I don't like the new gear VR headset because they got rid of the fan. The fan helps out a lot...i knew this would be an issue with the new gearvr headset... All you cwn do is sit in front of a fan or create some kind of fan mount to put on the headset. It's been done... You should check out the reddit forms..reddit.com/r/gearvr

Posted via the Android Central App

Diceman0925

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site

I got the Gear VR on 11/25 and it's been two days now, and it overheats my S6 Edge within 15 minutes. Last night it was cool out, about 55deg,and I sat on my porch for over an hour with no heating issue. So, it seems the phone needs to be almost refrigerated so it doesn't overheat, so guess what? I put the phone in my fridge to make it last more than 15 mins. Is this really necessary? Early versions of the Gear VR overheated the NOTEs, until Samsung figured out the problem. Need them to do this with the S6 Edge.

John Ball1

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site

My gear vr and note 5 overheat. I contacted Samsung help and was told that Samsung recommends you dint use the Gear VR for more than 30 at a time to minimize eye strain. The truth is they KNOW they have an overheating problem.

rtronick

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I had one overheating issue when I was charging the Note 5 while using Gear VR. Now that I don't do that anymore, my overheating issues have stopped.I have watched several movies on Netflix with no issues, but the Note 5 does get pretty warm.

procol

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
- Set the phone as Airplane mode with Wi-fi on. If you use Bluetooth controller, headset, etc., set those after you set the phone as Airplane mode. To avoid overheating issue at all, you better use just the wired headset and built-in game pad.
- Turn GPS off. Actually, turn off everything except what you need for GEAR VR.
- Better not try to charge while using GEAR VR because the battery temperature will rise due to charging additionally. Charge your phone 100% prior to using GEAR VR.
- Try to avoid using GEAR VR continuously especially device torturing games. Extended use is big culprit of overheating.
- Lower screen brightness.

Well, these are what I can think of at the moment. I myself experience overheating issues from time to time especially when I use it like 15~20 minutes continuously.

Last edited:

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
- Set the phone as Airplane mode with Wi-fi on. If you use Bluetooth controller, headset, etc., set those after you set the phone as Airplane mode. To avoid overheating issue at all, you better use just the wired headset and built-in game pad.
- Turn GPS off. Actually, turn off everything except what you need for GEAR VR.
- Better not try to charge while using GEAR VR because the battery temperature will rise due to charging additionally. Charge your phone 100% prior to using GEAR VR.
- Try to avoid using GEAR VR continuously especially device torturing games. Extended use is big culprit of overheating.
- Lower screen brightness.

Well, these are what I can think of at the moment. I myself experience overheating issues from time to time especially when I use it like 15~20 minutes continuously.

I havent seen this message yet. I never operate plugged in tho. I also leave off the cover while use.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site

I used mine 3 hours straight. No issues. And it's plugged in with nothing turned off. I leave the cover off though. Maybe that helps. I also have a note 5.

honda-Dave

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

My S6 Edge does it every now and then on my innovator edition, but not on the new one. I will try to turn everything off and see if that helps.

play: Note 5 work:GS6 Edge
Samsung Galaxy Gear & Gear S
Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Samsung Gear Circle
Samsung Gear Level
Samsung Gear VR Innovator Edition
Samsung Gear VR for Note 5

honda-Dave

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

I used mine 3 hours straight. No issues. And it's plugged in with nothing turned off. I leave the cover off though. Maybe that helps. I also have a note 5.

That's amazing you can have that thing on for that long! I'm getting nauseous just thinking about that! I think I can go tops 45 minutes without needing a break.

play: Note 5 work:GS6 Edge
Samsung Galaxy Gear & Gear S
Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Samsung Gear Circle
Samsung Gear Level
Samsung Gear VR Innovator Edition
Samsung Gear VR for Note 5

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site

Lol. Funny you say that. My wife is the same way. She uses it for all of a few minutes before she get nauseous.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I used to get that message any time I used it. Then I started rebooting the phone before using it, and then going to the multi-task thing and ending all running apps. I have never had the overheating message since adopting this practice.

anon(6033474)

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site

I get the message too after about 30 minutes, which sucks. But honestly I couldn't get much more out of it anyways as the battery burns through when on

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site

I got the message the first few times I used it... Found that if I don't put the cover over the phone, I don't have an issue.

That said, removing the fan was a stupid move.

Russell Holly

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, its especially bad with the S6 edge. Like others have said, leave the cover off the Gear VR and make sure you're not using a wrap or skin on your phone. Avoid using the charging port as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith