how i hacked gear vr consumer to increase ipd and fov part2: cut external shield

kingkong90210

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Samsung were smoking weed when they designed the gear vr consumer for note5

The black shroud restricts the FOV! The software displays a larger image than u can see due to restriction of the shroud.

The lens allows u to see a larger FOV than the shroud allows... meaning if u remove the shroud u see more.

Infact the fov vertical is larger than horizontal due to the shroud.

If you take a tape measure and you measure vertically it's about 6 and a half centimetres where as if you measure horizontally and divide by 2 you will find it is 11.5 centimetres which divided by 2 is 5.7 cms per eye and then if you remove the 4 millimetres of black space between the two images basically leaves you about 5.5 millimetres per horizontally

After hacking the side of the hole to enlarge it I was able to have 12.5 centimetres horizontal space and with this I could now see the edge of the image on the phone ie actually making use of the full screen space of the note 5

Similarly no ipd adjustment is just nuts.

In my previous post i showed how to hacj to increase ipd without reducing fov. Part one involved hacking the middle shroud

Now this part shows hacking the outer shroud.

The final result is fantastic. Maximizing FOV improves the immersion

Samsung really should have a separte vr head set for note5 and s6 but cost would get in the way i guess

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 6204.jpg
    6204.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 42

kingkong90210

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Hacked off sides can be seen in the hole to see how mucb i took off

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 6207.jpg