Gear VR not working on 7 edge

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
So I got the 7 edge sunday, got home popped it in the headset all the software asked to install etc..awesome... played with it for a bit decided to pop it out download some more stuff for it and play with it more later.

So last night go to play with it pop it in, screen turns black for a few seconds and then goes back to normal phone home page. Tried rebooting it taking it in and out again etc. It makes the noise when I pop it in and the screen goes black every time then back to home page. I went to the occulus page it had instructions for what to uninstall and then said just pop it back in and it should ask to reinstall......mine did not. So I dont know how big a problem this will be but sadly I hope big enough they fix it otherwise I might have to wait to see if I can find the apk or something to reinstall it manually so far I have not yet though....Shame cause the little I played with it, seemed pretty cool and I was looking forward to trying some more stuff out otherwise I am very happy with the phone minus the removal of the IR blaster. :(

hokie_prof

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if your headset is defective in some way? Can you take them back and get someone to test them with another phone or test your phone with a demo headset?

I have the S7 Edge. Aside from one or two apps, my phone works fine with the headset.

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
UGGGG... Seriously 10 minutes after I posted this (spent over an hour fighting with it last night) I popped it in and boom...it asked to install software....figures. We will see if it works after it reinstalls.

Update: full uninstall of software recommended by occulus and reinstalling it (when it finally asked too) fixed it.

Last edited:

Harpreet Brar

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
I was facing the same situation as you.

What I did was When we plug in the phone in gear vr, there is a small lock on off key on VR set, I turned it ON and plugged in the device and it worked.

It was so simple and I formatted my whole phone 2 times for no reason. Gggggrrrrrr.. :/

Glad it worked in the end. :)

Rodney Cron

May 7, 2017
Visit site
Had same problem. Turns out if you don't use it for a while the updates don't get updated and it goes on blank what I did was uninstall all of it software and apps and when put phone in it started the install process. Ps dont uninstall your games content ect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith