Favorite Gear VR apps and content

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I still haven't tried the social apps. The concept still seems a little weird to me. I suspect you're right, though. Those apps probably will be very important in the future.

I would love Hulu/Netflix social! Sync up a bing watching session with someone in a different place. That sounds like something I'd want to do.

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Been using VTime a fair bit lately. It's not quite as fully-featured as Altspace VR, but I find it works better (partly due to the 4-person limit per chat right now).

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I can't figure out how to use the vr headset properly. I downloaded insidious vr from the play store but can't actually find out how to play it. Out my phone in the headset and it opens up the display and options for Samsung vr and oculas vr stuff. Where would I find it?

Posted via S7 edge 😍

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I can't figure out how to use the vr headset properly. I downloaded insidious vr from the play store but can't actually find out how to play it. Out my phone in the headset and it opens up the display and options for Samsung vr and oculas vr stuff. Where would I find it?

Posted via S7 edge 😍
Apps in the Google Play Store are designed for Google Cardboard - not the Gear VR.

If you download Package Disabler Pro, you can disable the Gear VR services temporarily so that you can use Google Cardboard apps like Insidious VR, though the experience won't be as good as Gear VR-specific apps are.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Apps in the Google Play Store are designed for Google Cardboard - not the Gear VR.

If you download Package Disabler Pro, you can disable the Gear VR services temporarily so that you can use Google Cardboard apps like Insidious VR, though the experience won't be as good as Gear VR-specific apps are.

Thanks. So do I have to get my apps from the Samsung store within the vr headset?

Posted via S7 edge 😍

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I tried an avengers video from the Samsung store. Seems great but I just wish it was more clear. It's not terrible but could be better. Also it was 500mb for about just over a minute of video.

Posted via S7 edge 😍

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
In case you haven't noticed already, watching Hulu on the VR removes ads :) It also seems to 'pull' the stream from a different station than your usual local one, but the biggest 'pro' of using it on the VR is that: even if you have the basic plan, no ads are played when watching on VR.

I wish they added an option to resize the virtual screen though, or to align it to your liking like in Netflix. At present, the size is fixed and you have to be looking forward to be watching it, so lying down on your bed looking up will only let you see the ceiling of the virtual rooms.

thejammer

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Anybody having issues with green dots when using your gear vr? I have an S7 edge and there's a dead pixel that comes and goes but even when the pixel is working on my phone screen, I still see the green dot when connected to the gear vr. Help!

Posted via the Android Central App

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. So do I have to get my apps from the Samsung store within the vr headset?

Posted via S7 edge 😍
You can use the Oculus app to download apps without the Gear VR connected (well, after you've connected it once to get all the Gear VR services downloaded to the phone).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Anybody having issues with green dots when using your gear vr? I have an S7 edge and there's a dead pixel that comes and goes but even when the pixel is working on my phone screen, I still see the green dot when connected to the gear vr. Help!

Posted via the Android Central App

I've only seen artifacts like this a couple times on the Hulu app, but so far restarting the app or when I come back for a different session/app it goes away. Is the one you're seeing always in the same spot no matter the app? Could it be something stuck to the lens that might be refracting light?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I really hope more concerts start taking VR seriously. Would be a great way for sold-out concerts to still be enjoyed as if you were there. They could even sell the tickets at different locations with cameras at different distances from the stage, just like a real concert. Great also for people who live somewhere where artists don't usually go to.

DonnyD520

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
i probably used "milk" the most. . Theree's alot of cool videos there. Even though I havent watched wrestling in many years, those WWE videos in there are really cool

"Starchart " is really cool too

The 'cirque du soleil" app is probably one of my go-to apps to show off the headset when I got company over.

DonnyD520

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site

Posted via S7 edge ??????

Yes, right through the headset

And if you try to get a paid app/game , the system will tell you to remove your phone from the VR gear, and enter your card info through the oculus app icon

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, right through the headset

And if you try to get a paid app/game , the system will tell you to remove your phone from the VR gear, and enter your card info through the oculus app icon

You can download apps through the Oculus store in your phone, not necessarily plugged into the headset.

Brandyn Melton

May 12, 2016
Visit site
Smash Hit is awesome!, Gunkack, Temple Run, Lands End was cool just short, as far as videos go it seems like the different apps have some of the same content but IMO Vrideo has the best, most diverse content right now. There are good things on all the ones I have anyway (Vrideo, Milk VR, Jaunt). Just saw they put a Hit man VR game on the app store.