HTC One (M7) pull down status bar doesn't work

Dave Bareham

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I've googled this and found lots of people with the same problem ref android phones but no definative answers so here goes!

My Vodafone HTC One is running kitkit with the stock rom. Recently I can not pull the status bar down by using my finger to dragit down when in upright mode. If I start an app and rotate the device through 90 degress the pull down works whilst in "landscape" mode.

If I used the *#*#3424#*#* code and draw lines verticall from bottom to top they stop where the notificaton area would start but Idon't know if that is normal

If I use thedropdownstatus bar app and touch in what would be the status bar area it works so I don't think its the hardware but may be wrong.

My wife got her HTC one at the same time and she doesn't have the problem. I have tried a factory reset but it made no difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Dave

JJT211

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I've googled this and found lots of people with the same problem ref android phones but no definative answers so here goes!

My Vodafone HTC One is running kitkit with the stock rom. Recently I can not pull the status bar down by using my finger to dragit down when in upright mode. If I start an app and rotate the device through 90 degress the pull down works whilst in "landscape" mode.

If I used the *#*#3424#*#* code and draw lines verticall from bottom to top they stop where the notificaton area would start but Idon't know if that is normal

If I use thedropdownstatus bar app and touch in what would be the status bar area it works so I don't think its the hardware but may be wrong.

My wife got her HTC one at the same time and she doesn't have the problem. I have tried a factory reset but it made no difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Wow....im having the same EXACT problem with my LG G2. Im running stock ROM 4.2.2.

This is a new lcd and digitizer ive bought off of Ebay. The first few days after installation, the phone worked great. But just today, the statusbar pulldown stopped working.

There's a nav bar button that pulls down the button automatically and that works fine. If i enter an app and rotate the screen, i can then pull doen the status bar. I tried rebooting, factory reset, restoring previous backup in TWRP, flash AOSP style rom as well. Same problem no fix.

Ill try the above mentioned app and hash code. But it has to be a hardware problem.

clamar84

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Exact same problem I've encountered the past few days with my HTC One. I also get the same result as you with the draw line diagnostic test. The screen does not auto rotate until you open another app or function. I've read other threads that suggests it could be an installed app and suggested to remove one by one until found. Seems exhaustive but not having the pull down is frustrating. Will follow this thread to see if there are any updates....

Co6alt

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Same issue, Sprint LG G2 stock kitkat. Tried resetting cache, glad I saw this before I tried a factory reset. Works in landscape just fine, top area of screen works once once I get the screen down. Status bar doesn't respond to pull down or knock off features.

Temporary solution is to use adw launcher with the pull down motion anywhere in homescreen. Status bar doesn't pull down when in other vertical apps

Update: using the "touch data" in developer options shows that no touches are registered above the line where the status bar starts. The reason I thought top part of screen worked once bar was down is because date & time and settings buttons drop below the touch cutoff

Last edited:

clamar84

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
After 2 factory resets the problem with my T-Mobile HTC One became worse. The screen would flicker between open applications and then would simply freeze. I'd have to turn the phone off momentarily to bring everything back. However even when rotating the phone to view landscape mode the left side of the screen was still inoperative (top of screen in normal mode) I returned the phone for a replacement since it was under warranty. No other workaround I found.

FYXIT

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I replaced an HTC One lcd/digitizer assembly and the notification bar can't be dragged down but the top area of the digitizer still works in toggling camera features like the flash.

Furthermore, there is a faint light steak glow coming from the bottom right side of the LCD.. this tells me it was badly manufactured.

It appears that it is definitely a hardware issue from a badly manufactured LCD/Digitizer

Je Rome

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I am having the exact problem. It won't pull down, but when the phone is turned off for a long time and open it will work again and after few minutes its not accessible again. Is there any update to this?

Mastra Media LAB

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here, custom rom ,revolution HD 71, 4.4.2 + sense 6...top of screen is not responsive and was unable to pull down de status menu bar. i found this app on GooglePlay to make it easy to accept the "handicap":
Status Bar Shake Opener
Probably is not a software issue... in note app, if i try to draw something in top area of the screen, it's imposible, so...i think it's a hardware problem, in my case.
I hope i'm wrong with that and someone bring us good news for this problem, up to then...shake is a good option to see the status menu :))

Fennec1

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,
Same issue with Wiko Cink+ smatphone. I suspect hardware issue with touch screen not working in upper part of the screen. Because it happened suddenly and sometimes still works after several tries...

xhotlipsxukx

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I had the same problem. I contacted HTC and was told to With your phone turned on (you can also turn off your device if you like by pressing on power button once; then select “turn off”) press and hold volume down and home buttons together.
Keep pressing the mentioned keys until the screen goes black.
At that point release only the power button but keep pressing the volume down key.
Fastboot mode will be then displayed, so you can also release the volume down button.
In fastboot mode use volume down / up buttons in order to scroll up or down towards the menu.
Choose recovery option.
Your phone will show a black screen with a triangle for a few minutes then it will reboot. It has solved my problem, hope it works for you.

fulanito11

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey man I did recovery alternative but when I select recovery from fastboot menu it just shows an android with a red triangle with a label or string that says "not command". I have an htc one google play edition 2013. I really dont know what is going on. BTW do you think this can go to warranty?

Dragos Gosdra

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem and a friend ( works in a gsm service ), told me that the touchscreen is damaged ( in my case ) . Well, you can verify yourself if you have a problem with your touch-screen by turning your phone on horizontal position, open a web-browser or a document with several pages and try to scroll down with your finger, using the left edge of your screen ( the left edge on horizontal position is the top edge on verical position from where you can't swipe down the menu ) and if you have problems scrolling down, if it flickers or just simply doesn't scroll down, it's obvious that the upper part of your display is damaged. ( sorry for my bad english and i hope i made myself clear :D )

Malafacha2

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
This cannot be a hardware issue. In my case I have an RCA tablet and I have the same exact problem. The top part of the screen doesnt respond. It happened 2 weeks ago and I dont know why. I reset the tablet and connected the charger the whole night and on the next day it worked again. Last night I installed 2 apps and after installing the second one (Pacman) the top part of the screen stopped responding. So if for some people is working again after resetting the device, and for others after fully charing it, it must be some kind of sofware issue. Just now while I am typing I went to my settings to check my software version (4.4.2), and the screen was working fine, but when I got the settings screen it stopped working again.

Euge216

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I have an HTC M8 Harman/Kardon version, purchased in July 2014. I am not able to swipe the top notifications bar. It is like that area of the screen does not exist. Sometimes when I press over the top time it will pop up then disappear.
I called Sprint and they had no fix. I did a full factory reset and it did not fix the problem.
So I will have to take it in for repair or replacement.

zrmania

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
SOLVED just install Apex launcher, and a them for M7 sense7, select from thems want to change, (i change just icons) and pull down status bar will work on every side of screen .
You can buy the pro if you like.

Megan Anderson3

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
hey guys I have solved my problem!
I had my phone sent to htc because of the purple tint on the camera problem, they replaced my phone but the drop down menu didn't work. I eventually gave up and just downloaded a drop down menu app and an app to shake your phone to drop it down.
Today I have put an anti glare screen protector on and now it is miraculously working! I have no idea why I had calibrated and done everything in the past to get it to work but this has somehow done it. So give it a try, I hope it works for you.

Siddharth Nannore

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue as you mentioned about backlight LCD light visible from bottom right corner and I ordered a replacement from ebay for my HTC M7, touch panel is completely unresponsive on half upper screen, any way to fix it ? I am sure its not a software problem:(