Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phone charges but won't show as a device on pc.

Hi,
    So I've had a Galaxy S4 for a while now. Recently however, whenever I plug it into my pc it charges but will not show up as a drive on the pc.
    The phone is on Vodafone UK and is insured, so may have to claim.
    I have tried common solutions by the way. I have tried different ports with different cables. I've tried multiple desktops and laptops and the usb port in my car. I have installed the various programs that wipe out all your drivers leaving my wireless mouse and keyboard disabled (until I reconnected the BT dongle), plugged my phone in and nothing happened apart from my phone started to charge.
    I had a problem before with it where it wouldn't charge at all, and had to send it back. I feel it hasn't been properly fixed and the micro USB slot is still faulty.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

Global Posts
    19,852 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Phone charges but won't show as a device on pc.

Quote Originally Posted by DivAnder View Post
    Hi,
    So I've had a Galaxy S4 for a while now. Recently however, whenever I plug it into my pc it charges but will not show up as a drive on the pc.
    The phone is on Vodafone UK and is insured, so may have to claim.
    I have tried common solutions by the way. I have tried different ports with different cables. I've tried multiple desktops and laptops and the usb port in my car. I have installed the various programs that wipe out all your drivers leaving my wireless mouse and keyboard disabled (until I reconnected the BT dongle), plugged my phone in and nothing happened apart from my phone started to charge.
    I had a problem before with it where it wouldn't charge at all, and had to send it back. I feel it hasn't been properly fixed and the micro USB slot is still faulty.

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forums.
    Have you tried to redownload and install Samsung drivers?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Nope, it brings up the windows driver installer dialog but says Ethernet Controller Not Found. The rest of the installation looks as though it is successful, nothing changed. Installed Samsung Kies too

Global Posts
    19,852 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Not sure what else to suggest. Sorry.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks anyway. I think the fact it won't work on multiple computers with different cables points to a problem with the phone, most likely the dodgy microUSB port.
    I'll send it away for a fix.